Latest post Tue, Apr 9 2013 11:40 PM by paul b. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 25 2011 2:13 PM

• Jacob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 29 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

I can't uninstall media composer 5.5.2

(I am on a mac) I have deactivated my software license through media compser, inserted the install disk and opened media composer uninstaller in the applications folder (as the README for 5.5.3 suggested) when the uninstaller opens all the files pop up with unchecked boxes next to them but before i can do anything they all disapear as long with the button to uninstall everything and at the bottom left there is a message nothing to uninstall. i want to get meda composer uninstalled so i can upgrade to the new version and upgrade to lion, i am stil on snow lepard by the way.

please help!

Windows 10 64bit, Intel 6700K(4.0 GHz), Nvidia GeForce GTX1080, 16GB DDR4, 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, Dell 34" Ultrawide, MC 8.8.2, PT 12.7.1 -------- MacBook... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 25 2011 2:33 PM In reply to

Re: I can't uninstall media composer 5.5.2

"... upgrade to lion ..."

The recommended method is not to do an "upgrade", but to do a "Clean Install".  This means you'll be reformatting the hard drive.  This will solve your problem.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Aug 25 2011 11:35 PM In reply to

• Jacob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 29 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

how do i go about doing a "clean install" everything i read says to uninstall as the very first thing so i am very confused as i am also fairly new to avid 

Windows 10 64bit, Intel 6700K(4.0 GHz), Nvidia GeForce GTX1080, 16GB DDR4, 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, Dell 34" Ultrawide, MC 8.8.2, PT 12.7.1 -------- MacBook... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 26 2011 12:16 AM In reply to

If you're using a dongle, you don't need to do anything with Avid.  If you're using Software Activation, you need to "Deactivate" prior to reformatting.  This is done via the Special menu in Avid.

Then, back up anything important, e.g., your Avid projects, User Settings, and anything else you want/need to save.

Run the OSX installer.  There's an option to erase the disk first.  Choose that.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 11:40 PM In reply to

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,325

Hi Randall,

Can you please direct me to directions on how to do a manual uninstall of MC 5.5.3

I migrated my Macbook Pro (running Lion) to a new Macbook Air (running Mountain Lion).  When I attempted to run the 5.5.3 uninstaller, of course it would not run--understandably because 5.5.3 is not qualified for Mountain Lion.  5.5.3 unfortunately migrated across, the dead app was on the new hard drive--and I had no simple, clean way to get rid of it.  So a buddy of mine basically told me from memory where to look for all the 5.5.3 stuff before I installed 6.5.  But he also told me to double check against instructions for manual uninstall of 5.5.3.   I have not been able to find those.

Hope you're doing well!

MC 5.5.3 & MC 6.5 MacPro Nehalem 8-core Avid Nitris DX Sonic Fusion 8TB E-Sata Raid 5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller