Latest post Tue, Sep 6 2011 10:00 PM by Clement Canino. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 5 2011 1:47 PM

Error list request

Just wondering if there is some way someone at Avid could put together a list of the most common of their cryptic error messages and their possible causes, then make that a sticky note on the forum. Seems that might help a number of people more quickly than having another member guess at a solution. I know there is a knowledge base, but a lot of the errors do not come up in searches.

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 5 2011 2:18 PM In reply to

Re: Error list request

Not likely.  I first asked in 1996 when I worked for Avid.

Symphony 8.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP z420, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ Discovery Studios West
    (wwld)

• Mon, Sep 5 2011 4:24 PM In reply to

Top Secret or something? Come on, if they can't give us a list of what their insanely labeled errors mean, then at least make them a bit more obvious as to the cause, like "Video Driver Error", or "Corrupt Source File". Is that asking too much?

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 5 2011 4:51 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 798
    • Points 10,070

It's probably not always that clear-cut.  In fairness to Avid, I can't think of any sofware whose error mesages don't seem absolutely arcane.

Work: HP z820 | Media Composer v7.04 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Dual Intel Xeon E5-2665 | Nvidia Quadro 4000 |16 GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Aja Kona LHi... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 6 2011 4:04 AM In reply to

Im not too sure if I actually remember many clear cut error messages either, but maybe now is the time for software people to make the programs more accessable. If it can tell you something is wrong, why can't the message give the average person a CLUE where to look for a problem. or is that just job security.......

• Tue, Sep 6 2011 11:41 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,021
    • Points 92,545

Clement Canino:
    If it can tell you something is wrong, why can't the message give the average person a CLUE where to look for a problem.
    Most large software projects trap errors in a common section of code, which typically will return an error number when the trap occurs.  If you're lucky it may also tell you the section of the code that activated the trap.

Programmers with the help of the source code can usually track down the cause of an error from the error number.  For obscure errors it may take some finding.  It's rarely as simple as error # 80FD equals "wrong key pressed" or "smoke is coming out".

I wouldn't expect a list of all possible Avid errors any time soon.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 6 2011 10:00 PM In reply to

Hope springs eternal, but if Randall asked for one years ago, who am I to ask again.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller