Latest post Sat, Oct 15 2011 7:45 AM by jwrl. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 10 2011 1:22 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,176
    • Points 217,605
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

An interesting combination of MC and ProShow Producer

A few days ago I was out shooting a Taiko (Japanese drum) Competition.
    I have used the footage in an experiment with Media Composer in conjunction with a recently, by me, discovered HighDefinition slide show creation application called ProShow Producer.

I am, as yet, extremely new to ProShow but I am finding it can be used together with Media Composer in many ways. Not only to produce HiDef slide shows which can be imported into MC and used in Blu-Ray productions, but also to integrate video produced in MC with Titles from ProShow and then finally encoded in ProShow for the final destination.
    In this example I exported from MC as a QT movie and then after "authoring" in ProShow I exported everthing as an mp4 file.

There are some problems that I discovered when trying to use DNxHD codecs in ProShow. To be more precise they don't work at all - yet.  I say, "yet", as Support at the ProShow site have added that for fixing in a future release. But at the moment I am getting excellent results without the need for the DNxHD codecs.

Only the two applications mentioned above were used to produce the video.

You can view the results HERE

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Oct 10 2011 3:07 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Re: An interesting combination of MC and ProShow Producer

Douglas, I use Proshow Producer for slide shows and can't wait to see your tutorials on ProShow Producer... Hint, Hint.. LOL... :-)  It is a powerful program...

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 12 2011 11:58 PM In reply to

• VE7AXO
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 8 2005
    • North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,550

Douglas,

I have been using Producer's smaller brother, ProShow Gold, for many years (since version 2.6).  I too find it very handy to either throw together a very quick, but fully comprehensive slide show, complete with motion titles, video clips, chapter points and pan/zoom directly from within the program, or to combine it with a video editing program.  I have been doing the video editing in Liquid, not MC.  I don't feel comfortable enough in MC yet to tackle the two together, but I find that ProShow Gold does everything that I would want and it makes a nice addition to my toolbox for combined video and still picture productions.

PS: I loved your Taiko Drum Competition video!

Media Composer 6.5 (software) Mobo: ASUS P9X79 PRO, CPU: Intel i7-3930K (six core), Memory: 32 GB DDR3, Graphics: nVIDIA Quadro 2000D with 1 GB GDDR5... [view my complete system specs]

Igor

• Thu, Oct 13 2011 10:22 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,176
    • Points 217,605
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I was interested to see that at least 2 others have found out about ProShow (before me, of course Big Smile )

I was not happy with the fly in/ fly out transistions I used in the example I linked to above.

So here is a link to a new version where I have used my favourite transition - Film Dissolve!

It allows you to see about 20% more of the Taiko action.

THIS IS THE LINK

I would like to ask all and any of you who view either of the two versions - How well did it playback on your computer.

I have heard of some who are getting a very jerky playback and others who are seeing a smooth playback, all the way through.

Here in my office I have 2 computers that I can view the show on. One computer plays back smoothly, the other seems to drop frames every now and then.

Both computers are connected to the same broadband, both are running windows 7 64bit Pro.

The difference is in the CPU.  An older AMD and a newer i7.

Drop me an email, or post here, about your playback experience and what CPU/net connection etc. you are running.

Thank you in advance Yes

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:47 AM In reply to

• VE7AXO
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,550

Douglas,

I watched both the "fly-in, fly-out" and the "film dissolve" versions, and both played smoothly in full screen mode.  I use Win XP with I.E. 8.0.600.  My computer specs are in my profile.

Media Composer 6.5 (software) Mobo: ASUS P9X79 PRO, CPU: Intel i7-3930K (six core), Memory: 32 GB DDR3, Graphics: nVIDIA Quadro 2000D with 1 GB GDDR5... [view my complete system specs]

Igor

• Fri, Oct 14 2011 2:31 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,176
    • Points 217,605
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

VE7AXO:
    I watched both the "fly-in, fly-out" and the "film dissolve" versions, and both played smoothly in full screen mode.

Thank you, Igor

By the way, I did the second (dissolve) version for 2 reasons.

1. I was not really happy with the delays between groups and

2. I thought that, as you liked the first version, you might appreciate a few more seconds of the groups in action Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 14 2011 2:40 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Douglas:

I have not watched the second version yet, but the first version played just fine on an older laptop.  Not sure of the processor off the top of my head, but it is old enough that I could not load the 64bit version of Win 7 on it.. Had to use the 32 bit version..

I'll let you know when I watch the second version how it plays back and on what I watch it on...

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 14 2011 3:09 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Douglas:

OK, I watched the second version too and it played back smoothly just like the first one did on the laptop running a 32 bit version of Win 7.  The system I watched the second version on was a fairly old system too, runing Win XP sp3 with an AMD X2 5400+ CPU and 2 gigs of DDR2 memory...  Given the performance of the two systems I watched them on I have no doubt they would play back just fine if I broke out the "BIG gun" computer on them. :-)  Oh, and the Laptop was on a wireless connection at a hotel I was staying in and the desktop is on a wired network....

I liked both versions.. Those kids can really jam out. :-)

Camilo

• Fri, Oct 14 2011 2:41 PM In reply to

• VE7AXO
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,550

drbgaijin:

VE7AXO:
    I watched both the "fly-in, fly-out" and the "film dissolve" versions, and both played smoothly in full screen mode.

Thank you, Igor

By the way, I did the second (dissolve) version for 2 reasons.

1. I was not really happy with the delays between groups and

2. I thought that, as you liked the first version, you might appreciate a few more seconds of the groups in action Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

Douglas,

Yes, I did like the fact that the clips were a bit longer with the whole production length unchanged.

One comment that comes to mind, and definitely not meaning to criticize, is that I found the cross dissolve from one clip directly to the next a bit jarring.  I watched it a second time to determine what was confusing me and I believe it is the similarity of the clips.  Except for the costumes and drum beats, the differences are slight and it takes a second to readjust the mind to realize that I am looking at the new clip.  It may be just me, but perhaps a very short dissolve to black before fading in to the next clip would indicate the change.  In ProShow I tend to use a 0.5 sec black when cross-dissolving to a new subject (with the transition being also 0.5 sec).

As I said, it may only be me, but that was my personal observation.

Igor

• Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:07 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,176
    • Points 217,605
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

VE7AXO:
    One comment that comes to mind, and definitely not meaning to criticize, is that I found the cross dissolve from one clip directly to the next a bit jarring. 

Thanks for the comment, Igor.

I hadn't noticed that myself. But there are one or two other "misses" in the video.
    The total reason for doing this video was to test the capabilities of ProShow along with MC and to find a workflow that would produce a reasonable quality video for the web.

It is possible that I will go back and tweak the actual video sequence. But at the moment I am busy with the next event that I shot at Kumamoto Castle Geeked, as well as finding out more about the width and depth of ProShow.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sat, Oct 15 2011 1:12 AM In reply to

• VE7AXO
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,550

drbgaijin:

It is possible that I will go back and tweak the actual video sequence. But at the moment I am busy with the next event that I shot at Kumamoto Castle Geeked, as well as finding out more about the width and depth of ProShow.

Regards,
    Douglas

I really like the concept of being able to combine video and still pictures in ProShow for slide shows.  I tend to use ProShow (Gold in my case) for productions that include mainly slides (still pictures) with some video clips added for a more full overall effect.  For mainly video productions that need the addition of a few slides, I find that it goes easier to edit with MC (or Liquid for some of my older videos) and add a few still slides.

This again shows that it is not a single tool (no matter whose it is) that is the answer in all situations, but having a full toolbox makes for a more flexible and better end result.

Igor

• Sat, Oct 15 2011 1:41 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,176
    • Points 217,605
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

VE7AXO:
    This again shows that it is not a single tool (no matter whose it is) that is the answer in all situations, but having a full toolbox makes for a more flexible and better end result.

Igor,

In general I am not a fan of what is often referred to as "having a full toolbox"
    Now this is not a dig at you, but a general observation.

I find that too many people have what they refer to as "full toolboxes" to which they happily add new tools as they find new ones which can do a specific task.
    They add the new tools for only 1 purpose. If they had actually tried to learn how to use some of the first tools they had in the toolbox, they would most likely that the tool they had for purpose "A" could also do, "B", "C", "D" and so on.

The easy way is to add a new tool to do 1 job. The most efficient way is to learn to use a few tools so that you can become a craftsman.

Of course, it takes time to do that and there are the dreaded "learning curves".

An excellent example of this would be "AvidFX". It is a tool that can do so many different things, rivalling - but not quite catching up on - Adobe After Effects. How many people have not really gotten to grips with AvidFX?

There is a place for all of us in the world of NLE's. Those with a few tools that they are learning to master and those with an overflowing toolbox who prefer the easy way out. (oh! did I forget to mention that the more diverse toolkit you have in the toolbox the more likely that you are going to run into conflicts between the tools?)

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sat, Oct 15 2011 7:45 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,385
    • Points 97,005

drbgaijin:
    In general I am not a fan of what is often referred to as "having a full toolbox"
    I agree totally.

To elaborate: my experience is that most people with a complex set of tools tend to only use a small subset of those tools anyway.  Trying to keep your head around a complex toolset generally leaves less room for creative solutions to story-telling problems.  Our brains are just not built that way.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller