Latest post Sun, Nov 27 2011 10:47 PM by George Angeludis. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 26 2011 7:14 PM

What are the compatibility issues with MC 6 and audio production suites

Hello everyone. I am planning to buy MC6 in the next couple of months and it will go on the system with Pro Tools LE 10, FL Studio, the Sony Suite, and the Adobe Master Collection. I use the Mercury bundle, some DSK plug-ins, and IK Multimedia T-Racks.

The system is:

Asus P8 H67-M mobo

3.1 GHz i5 Quad 2400

8GB DDR3-1333 ram

PNY Quadro 1700

300GB 10k rpm system drive

1.5 TB media drive

Windows 7 Professional

One of my classmates has an almost identical system and some of the same software and I have listened to him complain about some kind of compatibility issues he's having with Media Composer. Are there any foreseeable compatibility issues lying ahead for me? I can't stand to pay that much money for a problem. Does anyone know of any issues considering my system and current production software listed?

Machine 1: Custom 3.3GHz Intel Xeon E31245 QuadCore (8 threads, HyperThreading enabled) 16GB RAM (1666MHz) (set to 1600mHz) 2TB 7200rpm system drive (1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 26 2011 7:33 PM In reply to

Re: What are the compatibility issues with MC 6 and audio production suites

Hi Larry,

try the... trial first.

The only compatibility issue could be with Pro Tools but I think that they run together very good now.

I don't see how it will be a problem with Sony and Adobe.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Sun, Nov 27 2011 4:47 PM In reply to

Hello George,

Thanks for the quick reply. I fell asleep right after I posted that. I've been in my studio reinstalling Windows for the last two and a half days trying to figure this out. My classmate and I are getting this:

StreamManager.dll is missing from your computer

I don't get it if my drive is partitioned and MC and other programs are seperated.

I looked for the trial but it's not MC6-it's 5.5.3. I already tried that one and it did well as long as it was on the system alone. I had so many problems I had to strip the system down and partition the system drive. I put MC on one with a few other programs, and and the rest of my programs on the other.

The problems were minimal with this setup yet it is inconvenient to have to reboot every time I need to do something else other than edit video. I will graduate next month. The classes I had covering video editing were all with Media Composer. I really like the software and want to buy it, but I can't run a studio like this. Pro Tools is already time consuming bc I have to set my environment up every single time I start a new session, so if I have projects where I need 5.1 audio (the University already has me doing projects there but I need to edit in my own studio) and need to edit it in Pro Tools...

You get the picture.

I have several people telling me I shouldn't be having these problems with the system I have and the software I use, but I am having them. Any insight you would share with me will be greatly appreciated.

Machine 1: Custom 3.3GHz Intel Xeon E31245 QuadCore (8 threads, HyperThreading enabled) 16GB RAM (1666MHz) (set to 1600mHz) 2TB 7200rpm system drive (1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 27 2011 9:38 PM In reply to

I have used MC 5.5 with Pro Tools But Essential.

I haven't seen any problems.

I have many other programs with them.

I haven't seen anything wrong.

You have Pro Tools (which version?) at the same partition with MC and you see problems?

At MC6 (MC 5.5 too) there are build send to Pro Tools commands already.

Thus meaning that they are to send audio (or video) files to Pro Tools?

Stream manager.dll. It rings a bell...

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Sun, Nov 27 2011 10:36 PM In reply to

Thanks for replying. I just finished testing another clean install of the OS, Media Composer, and Pro Tools all residing on the same partition and everything appears fine. Something you said gave me one of those great moments in time, the "Ah HA!" ones. You said:

"The only compatibility issue could be with Pro Tools but I think that they run together very good now."

The "...very good NOW."  is what made me realize that the version that came with my M-Box 2 is 8.0.3. I have never bothered to update it and so the fix, which came out in 8.0.4, wasn't on my machine. I downloaded 8.0.5 a few months ago but didn't get to applying it because I started shooting the football practices and games for TSU which had me leaving home at 8 a.m. and coming home at somewhere between 9 and 11 p.m.

Thanks again, George.

• Sun, Nov 27 2011 10:46 PM In reply to

I'm just going to say that you are asking for potential problems down the road. I'd keep it the way it is now b/c it's working. But a certain install sequence is supposed to be followed when installing both; I forget if it's PT then MC or the other way around.

Where this gets messy is when you update one of the programs. Depending on OS and installer package, it might do complete reinstall. E,g., I just upgraded PT from 9 to 9.2. It was a huge download and looked like a complete reinstall. If I had installed PT concurrently w/ MC, this upgrade might have broken something. So what I use is a dual boot setup.

But I'm glad that people are brave enough to try co-installs and hopefully Avid will continue to make its various programs co-exist even more happily.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Nov 27 2011 10:47 PM In reply to

I haven't done anything.

It was your inspiration all alone.

Take care.

Desktop PC

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller