Latest post Wed, Nov 30 2011 12:51 PM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 10:42 AM

• gregNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 23 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Help: Best Export Settings for HD Broadcast??? ProRes... or H264?

Hi there,

I searched the net high and low but couldn't find an answer to my problem: I've got a 1080 25p project and I want the best possible quality settings for a broadcast HD clip (1920x1080). But as I have to send it tonight onto a file share site it needs to be under 2 GIG. It's a 5 min clip and with ProRes codec I'm only getting over 2 GIG results. Should I go for H264 or some other codec? What's the best codec and what are the best settings? Please help!!!

Thanks so much!

iMac 27", 3.1 GHz Intel Quad Core i5, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.6.8, Avid MC 5.0

• Wed, Nov 30 2011 10:48 AM In reply to

Re: Help: Best Export Settings for HD Broadcast??? ProRes... or H264?

Both H264 and ProRes will give you QT gamma shifts. The fastest way to export is Same-As-Source at 709 levels, so you would send them a DNxHD QT movie. That may be too big too.

So I would flip the project to 1080i50 and output to MXF-MPEG. See http://dylanreeve.com/videotv/2011/virtual-xdcam.html for details. Name the MXF file so that they have a clue what it is. Fast, easy, and broadcast quality. MPEG50 fits 2.7 mins in a GB, MPEG40 gives you 3.6 mins/GB, and MPEG30 gives you 4.7 mins/GB. Take the hghest version that your file size limits allows for.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 11:04 AM In reply to

• gregNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Hi, thanks so much. I've tried SAS, but that's too big (as you predicted). They've ordered a progressive clip and they work on Final Cut so MXF is probably not ideal.

So is there no way to get a decent size high quality clip out of Avid? Any other codec then if ProRes and H264 have gamma shifts? Anything in Squeeze I could use (so far I tried to avoid Squeeze)?

Thanks heaps!

• Wed, Nov 30 2011 11:31 AM In reply to

gregNZ:
    They've ordered a progressive clip and they work on Final Cut so MXF is probably not ideal.
    They can't broadcast progressive, all broadcast is interlaced. They can import the MXF into FCP like they would any other XDCAM file. I bet they can mix i and p inside FCP. And even if you convert to i, your actual program is still progressive, so they can just interpret the resulting clip as progressive, since there is no motion difference between any of the two fields of each frame.

ProRes is not going to be any smaller than DNxHD, as they use similar data rates.

I would urge them to accept your MXF export. Best quality for the filesize you specify.

You could try Squeeze, sure, not sure what codec you would use. If you have a recent version of Squeeze, that comes with the Main Concept H264 encoder, which far less suffers from the gamma shift that Apple H264 does.

This is not an Avid issue, this is a Quicktime codec issue. Sucks, sure, and I wish Avid would find a way to work around it. V6 on the Mac at least has native ProRes MXF, which allows for clean Same-As-Source ProRes exports at correct levels.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 11:56 AM In reply to

• gregNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Hi, thanks again! This is getting more complicated than I thought. Pardon my ignorance but how do I convert my 1080p 25 into interlaced? Batch digitizing??? And how will the progressive clips behave in an interlaced project, do I need to convert them beforehand? I'm working with AMA.

I've got Squeeze 6 and it has a Main Concept H264 option. Would that be an option? If so what setting should I use?

Thanks!

• Wed, Nov 30 2011 12:51 PM In reply to

gregNZ:
    how do I convert my 1080p 25 into interlaced?
    You don't, and you don't need to. Just flip your Project Format (CMD-9, Format tab) to 1080i50 (might be wise to do a video mixdown in 25p first, then flip the project to 50i). Otherwise, I don't think you can export to XDCAM from a 25p project (but you can try it to see if it works from a P-project, I don't know).

Squeeze 6 with the Main Concept encoder is an option, but it would not be my first choice. I would keep the frame size the same, and would choose something like 20.000 kbitsps or higher.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller