Latest post Thu, May 24 2012 9:10 PM by hbrock. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 18 2011 10:39 AM

Avid not re-linking audio from ALE generated by REDCINE-X

Hi,

Am having trouble trying to get Avid MC 5.5 to re-link the audio MXF from any ALE generated from REDCINE-X (not sure which build off hand but it's in the high 400s). The pics relink perfectly, so no issues there.

Any thoughts, ideas what I might be doing wrong? Do I need to set anything in the Avid prior to re-linking or even prior to importing the ALE into a bin?

I have seen other posts on other forums about this, but no one has posted any solutions yet.

Thanks in advance,

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, OS X 10.10.5) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

Filed under: , , , , , , ,
  • Sun, Dec 18 2011 8:59 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,445
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Avid not re-linking audio from ALE generated by REDCINE-X

Hi Jonno,

I don't have any material to test with at the moment, so I can't reproduce, but could you post a small section of the ALE file so we can have a look?

Is REDCINE-X generating media with audio?

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Mon, Dec 19 2011 9:23 AM In reply to

Hi Sycophant,

Yes REDCINE-X is generating audio media from the originating R3D files.  It's also generating AAFs as well as the ALE.

Michael Phillips kindly explained that ALEs are only for pictures.  He went on to say that i should drag in the AAFs, which I have since done and they automatically re-link too, saving an extra step in the process.  Works perfectly now.

So this issue is now solved.

Thanks for your interest,

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, OS X 10.10.5) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Tue, May 22 2012 7:07 PM In reply to

• juliaPitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 22 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hi Jonno,

I am having a very similar issue... I am running Media Composer 6, and transcoded RED Scarlet footage using REDCineX.  I copied the MXF files over to the AVID Media Files folder, then imported the ALE file into a bin in Media Composer.  When I relink the files, the video links perfectly, but I have no audio.  You said you have to "drag in the AAFs" as well.  My question is, drag them in where?  I tried dragging the AAF files into the AVID Media Files folder with the MXFs - that didn't work.  I also tried dragging them into the Media Composer bin, and that was also unsuccesful.  If I try to play the files I imported via the AAF, and I get an error "Audio:  PMM_INSUFFICIENT MEDIA()Player version of frame duration is longer than actual".

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

Julia

• Wed, May 23 2012 11:02 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

AAFs can be dragged into a bin or imported into a bin.

That error is basically stating that the clip you're tying to play has media that's too short.  Is it possible that the audio is shorter than the picture?  If so, can you try trimming the clip in REDCineX so that there's both audio and picture for the entire length of the clip?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, May 24 2012 7:30 PM In reply to

• juliaPitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 22 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

I downloaded the beta version of REDCINE-X PRO, and that solved the issue of the audio follwing the AAF into Media Composer.  Unfortunately the metadata from the raw RED footage does not follow the clips into MC with the AAF import.  I need to be able to display the Edge Timecode (in the Auxiliary Time Code column of MC), and this is lost with the AAF import.

When I try to import the ALE into MC, the picture links fine, but still no audio.  I get an error when I relink that says "An error occurred loading database: (file path)". 

Thanks,

Julia

• Thu, May 24 2012 9:10 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

You might want to check out the RED User Forums to see if others are reporting similar problems.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller