Latest post Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:53 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 8 2012 4:36 PM

• BreeSison
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 8 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 130

Best Export Setting?

Hey guys.  The only thing I want in the world is to be able to export a 12 minute timeline to a format I can post on Vimeo.  Sounds simple right?  1) it takes forever 2) they seem to come out grainy 3) the files it exports are enormous.  I'd prefer a QT file and it was shot in 16x9 so it would be nice to not squish the video.

What is the best export setting for Avid Newscutter?  Please help this sad girl who keeps wasting time and getting frustrated.

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 5:15 PM In reply to

Re: Best Export Setting?

Hi,

Do you have any third-party encoding software, or does it all have to be done within Newscutter?

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 5:34 PM In reply to

• BreeSison
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 130

I don't think we do.  Forgive me, I'm so lost when it comes to Avid.  There seem to be 5,000 ways to do anything and trying to remember how I did stuff is so hard.  Somehow I exported this video http://vimeo.com/33432627 and it's clear.  I thought I was exporting my videos the same way ever since but if you look at this one http://vimeo.com/33507318, you'll see they're nowhere close to the same resolution or even frame size.  I'd appreciate any wisdom you might be able to offer!

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 5:48 PM In reply to

The best workflow I've found for exporting is to export a Quicktime Reference Movie out of Newscutter, and then use Sorensen Squeeze to encode whatever file format I need.

If you have Squeeze I can offer a more specific workflow.  If not, I can suggest ways to do this using only Newscutter.  It'd also help to know whether you're on a Mac or PC, and what version of Newscutter you're using.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:04 PM In reply to

BreeSison:
    There seem to be 5,000 ways to do anything and trying to remember how I did stuff is so hard.

BreeSison:
    I'm so lost when it comes to Avid.

You seem to be a reporter, why not enlist the help of one of the staff editors at you station to help you?  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:07 PM In reply to

• BreeSison
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 130

As far as I know we do not have access to Sorenson here.  Using a PC and it looks to me like it's NewsCutter v9.5?  We just upgraded the editing bays and this new version seems extra tedious because I'm not used to it yet.  Sorry for not knowing how to do these things!

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:08 PM In reply to

• BreeSison
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 130

Haha what staff editors?? :-)  Small market blues with fancy new equipment we weren't trained to use... especially the weekend crew!

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:15 PM In reply to

Wow.  So there are no trained editors around at all?   

My approach is slightly different than Larry's, I generally export a QTref and then open that in QTPro and convert it to whatever specs I need to.  Vimeo should have their specs available on their site somewhere, but I'm going to guess they want H264, 640x360 or something like that.  

I have also invested in an ElGato Turbo264HD for conversions like this, I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival on Thurs.  They have a trial version of the software available (limited to 3 mins and watermarked).  My tests with the trial showed excellent results and fast (near real-time) encoding.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:21 PM In reply to

• BreeSison
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 130

Definitely no editors familiar with export settings.  Generally they're only importing footage, cutting and sending it to interplay.

QTpro is genius.  Any suggestions for the best settings for QTref?

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:38 PM In reply to

The QTref settings are basic because it's referencing the original media files that Avid references when working with the footage.  

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:48 PM In reply to

• BreeSison
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 130

Does it make a difference if the audio is a wav or aiff?  So use all the preselected options like flatten video tracks?  I'll be using QTpro on my home computer, as I can't download new software to a work computer, so I just want to make sure I leave here with everything I need.  I so appreciate your advice!  So much healthier for my sanity to come here and ask instead of continuing to pull out my hair.

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:53 PM In reply to

BreeSison:
    I'll be using QTpro on my home computer, as I can't download new software to a work computer, so I just want to make sure I leave here with everything I need.

In that case, you can't use QTref as it references the media files on the hard drives.  If you take the exported file away from the media then it won't play.  

So, in your situation, you will have to export a self-contained movie.  

I would export it using Same As Source, using Avid codecs and then convert in QTPro.  

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller