Latest post Tue, Jan 31 2012 8:04 PM by Editmvp. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:32 AM

When the hell is avid going to give a patch to MC6 ?

It's amazing there is still no patch for this howfully buged version ! 

Can we have at list an idea. I need to buy new licences but I can't buy 5.5 and I won't buy 6 anymore...

• Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:11 AM In reply to

Re: When the hell is avid going to give a patch to MC6 ?

tribletrib:
    this howfully buged version
    It's actually quite good for a .0 release.

tribletrib:
    I can't buy 5.5

Pretty sure that you can. Unlike earlier upgrades, Avid is still selling 5.5 to serve the needs of those needing to stay ina 32-bit environment for now. You may have to ask Sales about it, as I don't see it on the web store.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:20 AM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

I thought we have rules for the way we formulate our problems?

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:22 AM In reply to

Yes I'd agree for a .0 release and such a lot re-coding it's very good. I even have it installed and am using it for real work.

Work continues on fixes and a patch and I'm sure when it's ready it will be released. Release it too early and don't do a good job and thee will be as many rants about rushing the fixes.

How long did Apple take to get the first point release for FCP-X out with all the resources they have available?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:38 PM In reply to

• Kaiser
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Berlin
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,265

Pat Horridge:

Yes I'd agree for a .0 release and such a lot re-coding it's very good. I even have it installed and am using it for real work.

That may sound somehow cynical for those people, who - like me - are unable to use the software at all:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/102761.aspx

MC 2018 on MacBookPro 2013 2.6 Intel Core I7, Mojave [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:44 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

I have abandoned MC 6 for now and gone back to 5.5. I imagine that a lot of users have. Sorry I rushed in for two licence upgrades. Would have been better off waiting perhaps . . . 

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 30 2012 7:31 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,484
    • Points 17,545

If you have older versions with a dongle, you can buy MC6, flash your dongle, then install MC5.5. Dongles are back compatible.

If you need new licenses, as you said, ask Avid support or Marianna what they can do for you.

Media Composer 2018.5 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red 5... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Mon, Jan 30 2012 11:20 PM In reply to

i am happily using 5.5.3.1 while waiting for 6 to be patched.. it let me install just using my old serial.. no problems. Patch is hopefully gonna be out this week. 

iMAC (late 2015) 4GHZ i7 - 32GB RAM - AMD R9 M395X 4GB 512 SSD BOOT BM Ultra Studio Express w/Driver 10.5.4. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 30 2012 11:48 PM In reply to

There is indeed a patch being actively developed, but it's not ready yet so please be patient. I or another moderator will make a very prominent announcement when it's ready.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 31 2012 12:09 AM In reply to

• r.kreuz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 24 2009
    • Munich - Germany
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,405

Hello guys, hello Avid, hello Pat.

I do agree with Tribletrib. Well, his opinion is not very reversed but it is an opinion based on hard facts. Working with Avid is a real business not an afterwork learn-cooking-event.

@Pat 

Could it be that the first generation of clients that is buying the newest release is the generation of BETA-TESTERS ? Testers who pay for their experience. I know that sounds hard, but Avid have to face up for this.

As a freelance cutter I can`t tell my clients "yeah, job is finished, but there are some little little glitches or mistakes in my cuts, but for a new 90 minutes movie, it is ok" If I do so, I could change my Job.

Also, I don`t have time anymore to find out what works correct in the latest Avidversion and where are the bugs. I installed the trialversion of MC6, after 2 days I finished my testing period, cause I did not know exactly - is it a bug, is the feature not provided, what the hell is going on with the keyboardsetting..... And so on and so on.

I did this kind of selftestings on the versions from Avid Xpress Pro until MC 5.0.4.x and now I am tired of that. Productionhouses ask me, hey Robert can we buy it, can we use it without problems? And on every release I have to say, we have to test it and may be we have to wait for a patch. I am over with it.

And please don`t tell what Apple is doing. Like my Mother says always: "Don`t tell me what other kids have done, tell me what you can do"

Thanks.

Robert

(Cutter and shareholder)

• Tue, Jan 31 2012 8:43 AM In reply to

• Chris Aust
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Munich
    • Posts 436
    • Points 4,765
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi,

you always need to keep in mind that we are talking about very complex computer software with millions of lines of code. Because of that, there is no software in the world without bugs. See space science, where there is only one try with shooting a sattelite to outer space, if you take a closer look you see billions of $$$ regularly firing up in a beautiful firework just because of there is a "minus" somewhere in the code instead of a "plus". And NASA considered this to be a safe piece of software...

As with new releases of software, nobody forces you to jump on it immediately. It is always a milestone with new releases - we saw that especially in 5.0. If you feel safe with previous versions, that is absolutely okay. If you like new technologies, try out the new one. Remember this is a x.0 again, and as Pat already mentioned, for a x.0 release it is at least for most of us rock solid. That is why we did not see patches for a while.

Betatesting happens in betatesting phase, not at the customer (unless they participate the beta testing programme). Betatesting is not an easy task. You mainly concentrate on the new features, then it is hard to confirm all old features still work. As for me, the so called "keyboard-bug" should have jumped into my eyes while testing, but I guess I was too much into stereoscopic. There is a long list of bugs, for sure, and there will be a long list of fixes, as well...

Because of my background I do understand software engineering and development. Therefore I am thankful that Avid is listening, communicating and keen about customers success. And it is good to see that Avid cares and is releasing patches on a regular base. This time it takes longer, but I guess this is due to the fact that Avid cares and does not release "yet another buggy patch". I like the strategy.

I can understand the concerns, but it is up to you to decide which version you gonna use. A lot of companies I know stay at 5.5.x for a good reason, but can't wait to get to v6. Let's just wait for the patch...

cheers

-chris

MC/Symphony 8.7.2 | VMware Workstation 14 virtual Interplay on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 4.15.03| Dell XPS 15 |||| obsolete MacBookPro 17", 2.5GHz Quad Core... [view my complete system specs]

Chris Aust

Munich, Germany

Avid Workflow Consultant | ACI | Trainer

Splash!Zone

• Tue, Jan 31 2012 2:53 PM In reply to

Chris Aust:
    As with new releases of software, nobody forces you to jump on it immediately.

I agree - last week, I oversaw upgrades at one of my client's sites.  Per my recommendation they upgraded from v5.0.3 to v5.5.3.  There's a lot of new features in v6 that are enticing, but I knew that v5.5 was well-worn and very stable.  That's important when doing multi-seat upgrades.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jan 31 2012 3:24 PM In reply to

• r.kreuz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 24 2009
    • Munich - Germany
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,405

Well, it is what I said -  with other words.

Old versions are stable enough, but why is it so ? Cause the first new release is in hands of user who test it, find bugs, do postings in the community and hope a patch is coming out soon. But thats not the way to aply a final release (ok, what is final in the world of avid). If Avid would take 2 or 3 Months longer and take the hole money for press releases, events and other commercialstuff and put it into a real testing period, they could give the world a selfselling product. I mean only the keyboardsetting-bug is a staircase wit.

Everybody, who said - oh it`s OK for a x.0 release, please tell me the name of one other product - only one, that you buy and you protect it against bad opinions although you know the product is not working like promised.

Would you do so after buying a buggy car, a buggy TV ?

We are all waiting so long for a 64 bit application. For me I want the hole benefit of the new bitstructur - my eyes look at Adobe. There the 64 bit give a real jump in performance. At MC 6 I can`t see that.

• Tue, Jan 31 2012 6:46 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

r.kreuz:

Would you do so after buying a buggy car, a buggy TV ? 

Sorry to say, but these buggy "things" occur on a daily basis. Nobody was urged to install MC6. The only important issue was to get the upgrade on time for a very nice price.

There are a lot of users here that tell you, to be very carefull with installing release 0 versions. Sometimes it is simple needed for those who have a problem in the previous version and that problem is solved. Otherwise: if you like to install, domso, but make sure you can go back.

The coming update will cure a lot of problems, but undoubtly, will have some NOT to be solved and others to show up in the new update. That's life.

Those who use MC for a living, are mostly some versions behind. Matter of investment, so to say.

Working with computers and programs is always a kind of magic!

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jan 31 2012 8:04 PM In reply to

• Editmvp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 3 2008
    • Billings, Montana
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,725

Agreed, there are some bugs...

BUT, I've been using 6.0 exclusively since the day it was released on my primary system (Nitris DX) and have not had any significant lost time.  In fact, I've made a substantial amount of money editing exclusively with 6.0 over the past 75 days and have found it to be VERY STABLE.  Other than some licensing issues with PhraseFind, that have been resolved, the few annoyances are small vs. the gain in performance and new multitude of new interface options such as workspaces and linked bin layouts. 

Overall, I am quite satisfied with this new release.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Primary System: Media Composer 2018.12.3 w/Symphony Option | Phrase Find | Avid Artist DNxIO | Mac Pro Mid 2012 12-Core 3.46 | OS10.13.6/64GB/1TB-SSD/Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller