Latest post Tue, Jan 17 2012 2:45 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 12:37 AM

Metafuze crash - how do I make an AFE now??!

Hi,

I've just done a long-ass transcode to DNxHD36 (40) and had Metafuze crash before i could kick out an AFE.  How can I create an AFE for the transcode I have just done?  Metafuze seems to have no memory of the fact that I've done it and the only saved version I had was after an earlier crash and barely contains any "done" files.  Please tell me I don't have to re-transcode the whole bunch just to get an AFE??

If this is the case I know I can just grab the clips from the media tool but will this harm my chances of creating an EDL after the offline to send to a grade?  Do I need to manually add more information to the Avid clips?  What steps should I take to make sure I can create an EDL of my final sequence (DNxHD36 offline) that will re-link to the .R3D files in a grade? 

This is the first time I've done anything RED based so I'm a little unsure of what needs to get done.  I planned to; Transcode in Metafuze > AFE > Relink > Edit > Export EDL > Wash hands of job.  Does this sound correct? 

Any help would be muchly appreciated

Cheers,

Andi

PS - Metafuze 2.5 and Media Composer 4.0.5 on an HP Z400 under Vista64

HP Z400 Quad core 2.66 GHz Nvidia Geforce GTS250 1GB 16GB RAM 128GB SSD boot drive M Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard 2x KRK Rokit RPG2 powered monitors... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 6:58 AM In reply to

• Revenger
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 11 2011
    • Estonia
    • Posts 69
    • Points 875

Re: Metafuze crash - how do I make an AFE now??!

Just grab the clips from Media Tool. All you need is RED file names (which should be saved in Name and Tape column in master clips) and TC. Check if you have these two things and you will be able to export the needed EDL after you are done with your work.

MC 8.7 with HP Z800; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Dual Quad-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) X5570 @ 2.93GHz; 24GB (6 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800; Quicktime... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 12:43 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply.  If this is the case, what is the benefit of creating an ALE for your Avid project as opposed to just dragging in the clips?

Cheers,

Andi

HP Z400 Quad core 2.66 GHz Nvidia Geforce GTS250 1GB 16GB RAM 128GB SSD boot drive M Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard 2x KRK Rokit RPG2 powered monitors... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 1:03 PM In reply to

• Revenger
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 11 2011
    • Estonia
    • Posts 69
    • Points 875

Don't know if there will be any additional useful metadata carried over with ALE. For EDL I have only needed original filenames and timecode so far.

Cheers

MC 8.7 with HP Z800; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Dual Quad-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) X5570 @ 2.93GHz; 24GB (6 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800; Quicktime... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:57 PM In reply to

You probably meant "ALE" not "AFE" in your first post.

I like creating an ALE instead of using Media Tool because it's quick and clean. You load the ALE in MC, the clips are all in the bin, all you have to do is to relink them to the media. You can always create an ALE after the fact, you don't need to transcode the media again. Just load your MetaFuze XML project file, select all transcodes and make the ALE.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 8:21 PM In reply to

Hi Igor,

The problem I had was that the XML project file related to a version of the project that had not fully transcoded so when I load it back in the clips are still only half done.  Does that matter?  I tried just bringing in the .R3D files again to make an ALE (that is what I meant!) but the function is greyed out.  Metafuze crashed before I had a chance to save a fully transcoded version.  Is there some other way I can get to that ALE?  Thanks for your help and as a side note, thanks for all the tutorials you contribute, you've helped a lot with my DS based questions over the years.

Cheers,

Andi

• Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:28 PM In reply to

I am pretty certain you don't need to actually transcode anything in order to make an ALE file. You just need to scan your media again and reconstruct the project, or load the half finished XML.

Either way, multiple select all the transcodes, whether finished or not, and create an ALE. If for some reason MetaFuze is getting confused by the half finished transcodes I'd rebuild the project from scratch as described above, add transcodes, select them all and create the ALE.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

• Tue, Jan 17 2012 2:45 PM In reply to

Thanks,

I'll give that a shot.

Cheers,

Andi

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller