Latest post Wed, Jan 18 2012 11:24 PM by TCurren. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 18 2012 9:56 PM

• ashleyb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 17 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Mix of Non-drop and Drop Frame - How to Convert?

Hi folks,

For some bizzare reason (if anyone can suggest a cause please do) the SXS footage brought into our project has a mix of drop and non-drop frame timecodes. It was all ingested at the same time and into the same project so I assume this was an error during recording or a faulty camera.  In any case we need to convert the drop frame clips to non-drop so that we can multicam group.  Can we convert these clips in Avid?  

I've never dealt with this issue in Avid before so any insight would be tremendously helpful.  Thank you!

PS. Please mention if you think this could be an error when ingesting as opposed to on set so that our post-department can correct it in the future! Thanks!

MAC OS X 10.6.1 Avid 5.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 18 2012 10:13 PM In reply to

Re: Mix of Non-drop and Drop Frame - How to Convert?

Hi,

Drop/non-drop isn't a different frame rate, it's just a different way of counting frames.  If I remember correctly, you can switch your sequence from drop to non-drop and back by highlighting the sequence start time in the bin and pressing the ; key.  If that's wrong (or if it's changed), I'm sure someone who knows for sure will chime in soon.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 11:04 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

It's an error at the recording end. Probably different cameras had different settings.

I am assuming everything is 30 frame then since there is NO drop frame in 24. I haven't done enough multicam to know whether you can group non drop and drop frame tapes, but I don't see why it would be an issue. My guess would be you would have to group by inpoints as oppossed to TC, since they won't really match anyway.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 11:15 PM In reply to

• Patrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,955

There are a couple of timecode converter apps for iphone.  Download one of those, convert the DF to NDF and modify your master clips accordingly.

I have a Framemaster II for such chores, but I'm old-school like that. Geeked

Mac Pro 8 core, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, Media Composer 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 18 2012 11:24 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Sony's EX browser software might also allow you to change the TC of the files, never tried it.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller