Latest post Mon, Jan 30 2012 7:01 PM by Sylvain P. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 2:56 AM

• Wes Torain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 22 2010
    • Huntsville-Decatur Alabama USA
    • Posts 65
    • Points 880

Poor Quality in DVD by Sonic using Media Composer 5.5.2

I've edited a great looking 20 minute 32GB QuickTime .mov video, but when I send to DVD by Sonic and burn a DVD, I lose quality.  High need a high quality master in order to make multiple duplications. 

Dell Precision T7610-64bit Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon Processors Windows 7-Media Composer 8.3.1 QuickTime 7.7.9 32GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 Boot Hard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 3:16 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Re: Poor Quality in DVD by Sonic using Media Composer 5.5.2

How did you take it into Avid DVD?  Did u use a QT reference file and let Avid DVD do the encoding or did you try and encode it first?  If you tried to encode it first, you should just import a QT reference file into Avid DV D and let it encode.

On another possibility are you working with HD or SD footage?  You indicate your file is 32 GB in size.  A DVD can only hold 4.7 GB of data, so if you are having to reduce the file size down that much, then that would definately be your problem.  If you want to maintain the HD quality, if that is what you are using, you should be writing to a BluRay disk to maintain the quality.

I hope some of this helps and makes sense...

Good Luck to you!

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 5:36 AM In reply to

• Wes Torain
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 65
    • Points 880

I shot and edited in 1080 30P.  I exported as a QT.mov not a reference.  I took in the large 32GB file into Sonic and burned to DVD.  Yes I'm working with HD footage and I realize the quality will not be the same as the master, but I've done this before and gotten much better than what I'm getting now.  It just seems something has changed.

Thank you,

Wes Torain

Dell Precision T7610-64bit Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon Processors Windows 7-Media Composer 8.3.1 QuickTime 7.7.9 32GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 Boot Hard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 5:42 AM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,484
    • Points 17,545

You can do a video mixdown of your sequence in DHxHD145, then export a QT Ref with the video mixdown on a duplicated sequence.

Media Composer 2018.5 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red 5... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 7:06 AM In reply to

Never found Media Composers downconvert to be the best so for quality work would always output an HD size file and convert externally. We have aDigitial Rapids that does a good job and Adobes Media ENcoder is nice as well.

But the best is laying of to HDCAM and then using the decks SD output and capturing into a hardware mpeg encoder.

But if limited to using just Media Composer and it's tools I'd go the video mixdown to SD (say 2:1) and then file export and squeeze to MPEG at a flavour Avid DVD accprts without re-encoding.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 8:04 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,385
    • Points 97,005

Pat Horridge:
    Never found Media Composers downconvert to be the best so for quality work would lways output an HD size file and convert externally. We have aDigitial Rapids that does a good job and Adobes Media ENcoder is nice as well.
    I think that Pat is being very tactful here.  Avid's downconvert has obviously been designed for speed so that it can be played realtime while you're editing.  For a quality playout or export it's pretty disgusting.  Even Squeeze does a better job of scaling.  The last major SD downsize that I did I used After Effects for.

(I think I can feel a feature request coming on.)

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:19 AM In reply to

It doesn't matter whatever you do or how you export it from MC or another NLE to a converter.

HD and SD can't be compared. If you look one time at a good lighted HD you can't

lay your eyes on SD anymore. Live with it.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:52 AM In reply to

jwrl:

Pat Horridge:
    Never found Media Composers downconvert to be the best so for quality work would lways output an HD size file and convert externally. We have aDigitial Rapids that does a good job and Adobes Media ENcoder is nice as well.
    I think that Pat is being very tactful here.  Avid's downconvert has obviously been designed for speed so that it can be played realtime while you're editing.  For a quality playout or export it's pretty disgusting.  Even Squeeze does a better job of scaling.  The last major SD downsize that I did I used After Effects for.

(I think I can feel a feature request coming on.)

Me tactful? I must be lossing my grip...

Yes it's great that Avid has a fast up and down converter. Would be great for an option to switch it into a quality rather than speed mode so it could be more useful.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 12:56 PM In reply to

• Josh Short
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 13 2011
    • Washington, DC / Northern Virginia
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

Try to check your SD transcoding preferences in your project settings in Avid DVD.

File>Project Settings...>SD Transcoding tab>Superior Quality VBR (8000kbps video; PCM audio)

The default in mine is set to High Quality CBR and whenever I forget to switch the setting it looks bad (over exposed, jittery, etc.).

I also usually export a QT reference or take my high quality MPEGs from either Squeeze or Digital Rapids into Avid DVD.

Hope this helps!

MC 8.4.2, MacBook Pro with Retina, Thunderbolt display attached, Os X 10.10.1, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, QT 10.2, Media Storage - USB3.0 drives [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2012 7:47 PM In reply to

• Wes Torain
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 65
    • Points 880

I'll try the video mixdown and export as a QT Ref and compare.  Thanks

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 7:49 PM In reply to

• Wes Torain
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 65
    • Points 880

thanks, I will do a few tests and see how it turns out

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 7:51 PM In reply to

• Wes Torain
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 65
    • Points 880

My next question was going to be whether Squeeze would do a better job maintaining good quality...but seems I might already have the answer in your reply.

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 7:58 PM In reply to

• Wes Torain
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 65
    • Points 880

George Angeludis:

It doesn't matter whatever you do or how you export it from MC or another NLE to a converter.

HD and SD can't be compared. If you look one time at a good lighted HD you can't

lay your eyes on SD anymore. Live with it.

That part I get.  I am well aware that there is no comparison between HD and SD...but there is a lot of HQ (High Quality) between SD and HD.  And since there is no industry standard, and so many formats and settings to choose from, my goal is simply to get the best quality I can on a standard DVD.

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 8:18 PM In reply to

In that case I went some times from the QT to TMPGEnc for mpeg2 creation.

I warned everyone that the final (while it was fine for SD) wouldn't have anything to do

with what they saw before.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jan 30 2012 7:01 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,484
    • Points 17,545

Me, I like the DVD that are output from a HD Avid DVD project.

As I said, I do a video mixdown in DNxHD145, then export a QTRef from the timeline and do everything in HD, including the menus, in Avid DVD.

Finally, I create my DVD from the HD project. Yes, it's longer to encode, but the quality is great.

Media Composer 2018.5 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red 5... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller