Latest post Thu, Feb 2 2012 10:42 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 6:16 PM

Avid MC 6 Export to Device -> XDCAM Issue

Just curious, but has anyone using Media Composer 6 encountered any issues when exporting a sequence directly to a Sony XDCAM HD Deck (Export to Device -> XDCAM)  through Firewire in FAM mode? I was in the process of doing just that and for no apparent reason whatsoever, the export just stops. There are no subsequent error messages that pop up or anything of the sort and the file that the software began to write also disappears. The Avid begins to export the sequence as it should and then it simply stops. On top of that, the stopping point is random and changes with each attempt to export the sequence. The transfer just dies in the middle of processing/copying for some reason.

I am able to do an Export to Device -> XDCAM directly to a hard drive by simulating the file/folder structure on it and that works just fine. I can then copy the exported clip from the hard drive folder onto a Sony ProDisc using the XDCAM HD Deck and FAM mode. I simply cannot get the Avid to directly Export to XDCAM from Media Composer 6 straight to the deck.

The workaround gets me what I need but it takes much longer than it actually should since there are extra steps involved. Really annoying, so if anyone has any insight on this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance,

--Larry

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 6:49 PM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,415

Re: Avid MC 6 Export to Device -> XDCAM Issue

This may not help, I cannot remember the actual error code or response, but using an SD XDCAM deck to record using FAM mode over Firewire a couple of years ago with FCP the audio tracks on output need to be mono, not stereo.

With the new stereo  tracks with MC may be worh a look?

Are you uisng direct out?

Steve

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems 6.5 to 2018.3 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: new 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 7:32 PM In reply to

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the response, I very much appreciate it. I am not using direct out, I have my Audio Project settings set to Stereo Mix to 1 & 2. The actual sequence has four channels of audio.

--Larry

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 8:36 PM In reply to

Tried a couple of tests. Setting the audio project settings to stereo, mono or direct out has zero impact. The export fails just the same each way.

--Larry

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 10:42 PM In reply to

Could it be format related?  

I know that the F-75 doesn't like 50 Mb/s, so if you're in a 1080p/29.97 project type and trying this your only option is XDCam 50 and 24 bit audio.  Switching to 1080i/59.94 gives you XDCam 35 and 16 bit audio option, which the F-75 deck seems to like.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller