Latest post Tue, Mar 12 2013 11:52 AM by Sanjin Švajger. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 9 2012 9:53 AM

What to get: MediaComposer or NewsCutter

Hi! I'm in the process of deciding what NLE to get for my work. I've been editing with NewsCutter a-lot when I was working on television (news, infotainment, reality shows...) but now I've started my own business and now I need an editor. I've tried media composer and I must say I dislike working with it's timeline. I really do. NewsCutter is a lot more fluent and quick when working with the timeline. And this is what matters to me most.

So this is why I am considering of buying NewsCutter and not Media Composer. Is this a wise choice? What are the differences between MC and NC? How is the support for NewsCutter - I don't see any forums for it and frankly I don't see almost a word about it on Avid site. So this is kinda worrying me...

How is the development on NC going? Is it being developed at the same pace as MC? I know that this are two different products aimed at two different end customer so I would expect some differences. Is NC ever going to get CUDA support?

I'm working on alot of different project. From documentaries to event shooting to music videos. Currently working with Panasonic P2, and a multitude of other codecs and sistems - so I really need that the NLE is multi format supported.

I would really appreciate any advice or answers regarding this topic!

Thank you:)

Br

Sanjin

• Thu, Feb 9 2012 1:10 PM In reply to

Re: What to get: MediaComposer or NewsCutter

With the exception of certain menu item locations being different between the clips menu and the special menu, Media Composer and Newscutter are essentially the same application with the same functionalities. The biggest difference is the additional (and expensive) incorporation of the NRCS tool (Newsroom Computer System) for full integration with Newsroom peripherals, like iNews, push files to Airspeed transfers, and so on. One very noticable missing item in Newscutter is the "Composer" section of your user profile, and the absence of a center duration window between the source/record monitors. Also, differences in available trim user settings between the two.

Using Newscutter at work and Media Composer at home, I definitely prefer Media Composer. I see little or no difference in system performance between the two apps - mostly just differences in bells and whistles. Again, IMO, if you're not running a newsroom environment in your business, you would be wasting money to purchase Newscutter instead of Composer. You'll be paying for functionality you don't need and won't use.

Both applications are equally very well supported by Avid - no worries there. Can't speak to any future support of CUDA as that would be speculation, which is prohibited by the Forum Terms of Use.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 9 2012 2:41 PM In reply to

Hi Larry!

First of I can get MC and NC for the same price. So this is not an issue. Second, I wasn't talking performance, I'm talking about how the timeline works. Lasso for example. In MC you have to lasso the whole clip in order to select it, where as in NC you don't have to. Even moving the clips around is more painful in MC. This and a lot of other details that in the end have a great impact on how the dynamics of working with the timeline work.

I understand this difference because this two NLEs are targeted at a different user. One is meant for the news room where things have to move quickly and fluently and one is meant for a more precise and slower workflow. I can't imagine creating a 1 and a half minute news clip with voice over and talking heads in 10 minutes with MC. I have a lot of editing experience and a fluid timeline experience is crucial to me. Working wit NewsCutter can be like playing a piano (on 3 redbulls:)) and MC is like playing a piano with only two fingers:)

What is the composer section of the user profile?

If the differences that you described aren't that crucial then I guess I'll go for the NC!

• Thu, Feb 9 2012 3:01 PM In reply to

Well, different strokes for different folks. After 8 years of working on both, I still prefer Composer.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 9 2012 3:50 PM In reply to

Yeah, offcourse!:)

Out of curiosity - why do you prefer MC?

• Thu, Feb 9 2012 4:09 PM In reply to

In my experience, it's more stable (far less Access Violation errors than on NC) and one VERY ANNOYING issue with Newscutter - name text column in bins gets overlapped by info in adjacent columns when a name is long, even when moving adjoining columns further away. Very frustrating for me, especially when I want to see the entire text of the name easily. Horizontally expanding the width of the name column makes no difference.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 9 2012 4:20 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

In my experience, it's more stable (far less Access Violation errors than on NC) ...

Really?

Yeah, I do remember working with NC. "CTRL+S" really came into my muscle memory:)

• Wed, Apr 25 2012 11:48 PM In reply to

Sanjin could it be your version of NC is not matched to the version of MC you used?

One thing I always wanted on NC (I've used both) was the ability to Matchframe any track by right clicking on the track selector. I never understood why it wasn't included in NC cuz I love that feature!

There was a NC forum for awhile but it wasn't too popular, and (for me anyway) difficult to determine matching releases.

-Lash

Antec P183 Antec CP-850 850W Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Asus P6T Deluxe v2 OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600 12GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 26 2012 12:44 AM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,484
    • Points 17,545

1- The lasso work differently in NC and MC, yes. Lassoing the clips in the timeline is fun in NC. But lassoing the transitions in MC to enter in trim mode is also really fun!

It's just a matter of getting used to both ways.

2- One thing missing in NC is the four courner display button when doing a trim. You can add this button from the command palette. In NC, you need to select the transition manipulation tool and click on a transition to get a similar experience. But using it in the trim editor is just faster and more precise.

3-  Alt+H behave differently with both applications. In NC, it adds a 1 sec hole (or the duration between the mark in and out somewhere else in the timeline)

In MC, it will add edit to the empty tracks at the playline location. Really useful to move a portion of the sequence to the left without affecting what is on the left using the "select right" button.

4- You have also more options in the clip name menu of MC.

5- In NC, you can change the Ruler timecode display.

6- You don't have to ctrcl + click between two tracks to expand/reduce a track. A simple click is enough.

7- You have an audio monitoring button (for stereo, mono, direct out) in NewsCutter. In MC 6, you now have this option in the Audio Mixer.

Larry Rubin:

In my experience, it's more stable (far less Access Violation errors than on NC) and one VERY ANNOYING issue with Newscutter - name text column in bins gets overlapped by info in adjacent columns when a name is long, even when moving adjoining columns further away. Very frustrating for me, especially when I want to see the entire text of the name easily. Horizontally expanding the width of the name column makes no difference.

Larry, you can simply save a custom bin view (or a preset). Then, when this happend, simply reselect your custom bin view and the columns in the bin will be correctly realigned.

I do this really often in NC! But I agree, you don't need to do that in MC.

Media Composer 2018.5 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red 5... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Tue, Mar 12 2013 11:36 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 15,655
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Sanjin, After reading your initial post, I think you need to stay with Newscutter simply because it is the tool you prefer and thus the tool you will be most proficient at.

For the workflow you described, there would be little difference in the function between the two. Perhaps one shortcut key or another, but that is small and operational. The real difference would be what Larry said - extra menu items and functions you might have no use for.

The ONLY reason you might consider Composer over Newscutter is if you are moving your core business into the area of editing where you'll be sending to/from ProTools and Avid DS users... But even then, it would just be to have a common lingo between personnel.

Good luck with your business - It's always exciting to be on your own!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Tue, Mar 12 2013 11:47 AM In reply to

Do you get Squeeze and Avid DVD with NC ?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Mar 12 2013 11:52 AM In reply to

Pixel Monkey:

Sanjin, After reading your initial post, I think you need to stay with Newscutter simply because it is the tool you prefer and thus the tool you will be most proficient at.

Actually I ended up buying MC6:) But thanks for the advice anyways:)

Buying MC6 made more sense because it seems that there is more support for it online.

Newscutter is meant for big business so it's logical that the private community isn't as heavily invested in NC.

Pixel Monkey:

Good luck with your business - It's always exciting to be on your own!

And to you to!:)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller