Latest post Thu, Dec 4 2014 1:15 PM by bilbo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 11 2012 5:47 PM

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 4 2011
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

No Media can be written on any of the mounted drives - MC6, Macintosh

Hello.

After closing and re-starting my Media Composer 6, it tells me "No media can be written on any of the mounted drives". When I try to open a project anyways, it just crashes...

This seems to be a permissions problem? The permissions of my internal drive seem alright... I already repaired them.

(Yes, I know, cutting on the internal drive is not very good, but I need great mobility on this project. A colleague works on his internal drive too at the moment, and never happened something like that...)

I have also an external drive plugged in, but MC6 keeps telling me "No Media can be written on any of the mounted drives" and crashes anyways... so what is the problem?

My video needs to be ready tomorrow and It's quite desperate...

*Media Composer Academic 8.2.0* on a Mac with OSX 10.9.5.* iMac late 2013 Intel Core i7 quad 3,5Ghz, 24Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX780M, Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:15 PM In reply to

Re: No Media can be written on any of the mounted drives - MC6, Macintosh

Do you have Avid MediaFiles folders on your external drives?  Have you ever been able to write to them?  What are the permissions set to?  Do you have write access?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:50 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

I have avid media file folders on my external drive.

The problem seemed to be only on my internal and was so bad, that my avid crashed while every starup...

I was impatient, I still have to do very much until the next morning, and because permission repair didnt help I used a Time Machine backup.

It seems to work for now.

I had a similar problem last year, my Macintosh HD drive changed to "admin - read only" while I was working with avid...

I do not want that to happen again, why would something like that happen? Is my OS corrupt? Or is MC really alble to mess up permissions?

*Media Composer Academic 8.2.0* on a Mac with OSX 10.9.5.* iMac late 2013 Intel Core i7 quad 3,5Ghz, 24Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX780M, Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:02 PM In reply to

Media Composer is not capable of changing the read/write permissions at the OS level for a drive.  

Is the version you're working on now an upgrade from a previous Avid?

Did you upgrade the OS? or clean install?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:17 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

This is one of the many reasons we don't support writing media to your internal HD. Mac "reserves" disc space based on its projected needs. This sounds as if the OS reserved more space than the MC application deemed necessary to run. You really do need to make sure you have your Media FIles folders on external HDs.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:39 PM In reply to

• Marc_89
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,750

I clean installed the OS and imported my personal data.

I just wonder how such a thing can happen, it only happened when I worked with avid..

Seems like this better should be the last project that was edited on my internal..

What is wrong with my OS when it changes the read write permissions for my admin?

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:46 PM In reply to

• guima_br
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 23 2007
    • Sao Paulo - Brazil
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

So when using an iMac (only one hard drive, reserved for the system), what's the best thing to do? Just use a FW800 external hard drive or is there something better and faster?

Cheers

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 5:26 AM In reply to

• ffcflick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 9 2011
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

I know this is an old post, but I had the same problem and was also searching for an answer...which I believe I found (in my case).

Avid MC6 was giving me the same error message as it was booting up and came to "Initializing Media Capture". I got the error window that said, "No media can be written on any of the mounted drives..."

This happens to be a Mac permissions issue.

The first thing I did after reading some Mac forums was enter Disk Utility, select the HD, and "Repair Permissions". This did not fix the problem (although it could have been part of the solution).

Then I right-clicked (controlclick) on the Mac HD and selected "Get info". At the bottom, I clicked on "Sharing and Permissions". I noticed System was read/write, but the other two (wheel and everyone) were read only. I added my user name and assigned my privilege to read/write - no dice. Then I assigned wheel read/write - no dice. Then I assigned everyone read/write and when I started avid no error meassage. I went into my settings, Media Creation and there was my HD (which was not an option before).

As a sidenote, I also do not use my boot disk to cut...but I was getting the same error message.  If your external HD was plugged in and you still got this message your initial (internal HD) problem may have compounded by having an external that was formatted in NTFS which is read-only to Macs. Format in FAT32 or MAC OS extended

I hope this helps somebody.

• Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:48 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,388
    • Points 97,040

First post, and it's a solution!  Welcome to the Avid forums, ffcflick!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 4 2014 1:15 PM In reply to

• bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 26 2013
    • berlin
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,460

Make a partition on your HD is also a simple solution. I'm not a fan of playing around with rights permissions.

I also wrote AllDrives in the Tool / Console

Maybe this last step was not necessary.

Dear Greetings,

Bilbo 

Teaching: MC Apple or windows, Liquid (until 2 years ago), Premiere, FCP... Also Flash, Director, AE. Using: MC, FCP 7 & X At Home: MC 7.04 interplay... [view my complete system specs]

I love words, even if they make me crazy and are responsible for most of the fights and wars. I don't like these last two. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller