Latest post Tue, Jul 3 2012 12:43 AM by jssamaty. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 16 2012 6:06 AM

Huh? [:^)] Avid Media Composer 3 cannot support AVCHD and DNxHD?

I know my Avid MC 3 is too old to edit the AVCHD MTS files directly. So I found a video converter program called Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter to help convert my MTS files to the Avid DNxHD (*.mov) format and then imported into MC for editing. Unfortunately, the converted DNxHD MOV file still could not be supported by my old MC :-(

Only the MC 5/6 can support DNxHD format?

Can MC 6 support AVCHD MTS files directly?

Thank you for any advise.

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 6:13 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: Avid Media Composer 3 cannot support AVCHD and DNxHD?

captaincook:

Only the MC 5/6 can support DNxHD format?

No, might be somethng with your encoding settings.

captaincook:

Can MC 6 support AVCHD MTS files directly?

Yes , you Ama link them and transcode

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 11:01 AM In reply to

Thank you mjolnarn for your input!

I'll play more with the Aunsoft converter program to see whether I might be lucky enough to find any workaround.

Thanks again.

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 11:13 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

You´re welcome captain, I have a Squeeze conversion tutorial posted here somewhere, it´s about mpeg 2 encodings to DNxHD but the exports and import settings should be about the same no matter what encoder is being used,  do a search for posts by me and " todfiles "

edited .... a search for only " tod " worked better

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Mar 16 2012 12:10 PM In reply to

You might wish to take a look at the Macworld article "Speaking With Spammers" in which Aunsoft and its clones feature prominently:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1153685/speaking_spammers.html

Have you tried MPEG Streamclip, or perhaps there's a program from your camera manufacturer that can assist?  In addition, the AMA features from more recent versions do indeed help greatly with these types of files.  I know on the Mac, there's a program called ClipWrap which also works great for this kind of thing, keeps timecode, has DNx presets and everything.  I'm not sure if there's similar for Windows, though.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 17 2012 7:47 PM In reply to

• bstanbery
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

I've been struggling with this issue on my MC 3.5.9 PC system. Still attempting to find Panasonic's  discontinued Main Concept converter download leading to AMA linking of DVCpro files (as per Bob Russo's tutorial). Meanwhile, Aunsoft's software allows transcodes to both (AVC)(.mov), a much smaller file, and DNXhd1080(.mov), a much larger file. Each of these I could import to my MC 3.5.9, even though .mov files aren't listed in the import options list. This begs questions. How can MC3.5.9 import DNXhd1080 files, with a .mov extension, contradicting years of forum discussion? If I want to maintain HD quality from the original avc .mts files, I assume I can work with the Aunsoft DNXhd1080 transcoded files. Are those files imported without further transcoding, as they are the native HD format in avid?  Is their quality better than a DVCpro transcode that must be transcoded again inside avid to DNX? Two transcodes would add more error than one, no? Sorenson offers an expensive upgrade to vers.8 pro which transcodes to DNXhd. Is their quality better than the Aunsoft $29 quality? To upgrade to MC6 is very expensive (new computer, etc.), but allows import of AVC .mts files directly. Is it worth the expense if I have to transcode to DNX anyway? Does it save time if I have much original material? I'd like to edit from HD clips and avoid all the proxy\consolidation nightmare. In my torturous review of the forum, there hasn't been a direct answer to these issues.    

• Sun, Mar 18 2012 11:23 PM In reply to

You don't need an upgrade to transcode to DNxHD in Squeeze - that's for DNxHD-MXF, which just drops right into the media folder as I understand it - that's an option, a nice-to-have, a workflow enhancement, but not an essential.

However, with no upgrade beyond whatever version of Squeeze that comes with your version of Avid, you can encode to DNxHD-MOV, which will fast-import into Media Composer IF the settings of your encode match the settings of your project.

They should AMA just fine as well.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:52 PM In reply to

• bstanbery
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

With Aunsoft, I was able to transcode avc(.mts) clips to DNxHD(.mov), doubling the size of the clips. That format imported to PC Avid MC 3.5.9 and seemed to look ok. With Sorenson Squeeze v.8, I can transcode (.mts) to DNxHD(.mxf), which has a 5 part file structure, one clip per folder, and seems to be 5 times larger in size. I tried and failed to import this transcoded material directly, nor with AMA. Maybe I don't understand AMA and root structures, etc. I'm concerned about maintaining HD quality in my workflow, so the difference in file sizes is confusing. The Aunsoft (.mov) file is 1920x1080 resolution. Does that mean it's a high quality HD transcode, in which case I won't pursue Sorenson or Mainconcept DVCproHD transcodes any longer? One big confusion is the list of import options in MC3.5.9, which includes .mxf but not .mov.

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:59 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

My evening for tutorials it seems like ...

Will this one help ?

Squeeze MXF link

Tomas 

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 7:39 PM In reply to

• bstanbery
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

I'm using MC3.5.9, with different import abilities from v6. Also, my transcode from Sorenson v8 of .mts to DNx(.mxf) gives me a 5 file structure. Selecting the largest .mxf component, I was unable to import it to MC3.5.9. Does anyone have experience with Aunsoft DNxHD(.mov) transcodes, imported to PC Avid MC3.5.9 ?

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:29 PM In reply to

• Ben Wilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Columbia, SC
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,500

All these posts about difficulty importing AVCHD .mts files into Media Composer puzzles me.  Last year I shot some footage using an AVCHD camera.  I used the manufacturer's software (SONY) to retreive the clips from the camera and stitch them together into single long .mts files.  I then used Media Composer 3.5.9 to import the .mts files into an HD project as DNxHD files.  No problems, no hitches and they edited just fine.

I'm puzzled.  Why did it work flawlessly for me when others seem to have nothing but trouble trying to do the same thing?

bstanbery:

I'm using MC3.5.9, with different import abilities from v6. Also, my transcode from Sorenson v8 of .mts to DNx(.mxf) gives me a 5 file structure. Selecting the largest .mxf component, I was unable to import it to MC3.5.9. Does anyone have experience with Aunsoft DNxHD(.mov) transcodes, imported to PC Avid MC3.5.9 ?

As for the 5 file structure, what Sorenson likely did was create your AVID MediaFiles for you, just as AVID would upon import.  Just drop these files into your AVID MediaFiles/MXF/1 folder (or whatever the latest number is).  Open the Media Tool in AVID and filter on Master Clips.  Look for the clip you just dropped into the folder and drag it into a bin.  You are done.

If you have 5 files from the .mts file conversion, that indicates to me that you have one video track and 4 audio tracks.

Several. 1x MC7.0.4 HP z800 dual XEON x5650-2.66GHz 12MB Ram Quadro FX3800 NitrisDX. 4 TB GSPEEDes storage. 2x MC 7.0.4 HP z420 MatroxLE. GSpeedQ 8TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 29 2012 6:37 PM In reply to

• bstanbery
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

My MC 3.5.9 doesn't import .mts files. That's why there is so much discussion in the forum about transcoding before import. In response to tomas' tutorial, and your suggestion to import .mxf files from sorenson's transcode, my MC3.5.9 only imports a related .aaf file:

Tomas, I watched your tutorial carefully, and I'm very confused. At the very end, after moving your squeeze transcoded .mxf files to the mediafiles folder, you say it can't import , so you go back and import the related .aaf file directly into the bin. It then is playable on your time line. Why did you go to all the trouble of moving the .mxf files if they are not importable? Importing the .aaf works for me as well, but that's very confusing.  I experimented to find that when deleted from the original non-mediafiles folder, my avid clip goes offline, even though the same clip-file was duplicated into the mediafiles folder. It seems the .aaf file references the earlier folder. Media management becomes tricky because I don't see any of these files in a mediatool search. The referenced .mxf files seem to reside only in an external folder. So is this workflow giving me the best quality resolution, better than a transcode through Aunsoft to a DNxHD(.mov) file, which is directly importable, and shows up in the mediatool search? 

• Fri, Mar 30 2012 4:00 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Duplicated posts = duplicated answers 
    bstanbery:

Tomas, I watched your tutorial carefully, and I'm very confused. At the very end, after moving your squeeze transcoded .mxf files to the mediafiles folder, you say it can't import

Did I really say that, it have already been imported into the Avid media library as shown in the tutorial but you need to import it ( link it ) into your new project and the most convenient way for this is to import that Squeeze created aaf file .

bstanbery:

Why did you go to all the trouble of moving the .mxf files if they are not importable?

You need to have the media in Avids media management for Avid to see it and you do not import the file once again as it is already placed into Avids media management, all you do is to link the file into a new or old project.

bstanbery: So is this workflow giving me the best quality resolution, better than a transcode through Aunsoft to a DNxHD(.mov) file, which is directly importable

Don´t know a thing about Aunsoft and what it does, what you do not get with Squeeze new mxf encoding is duplicated files and longer workflows, no need for extra imports.

bstanbery:

I experimented to find that when deleted from the original non-mediafiles folder, my avid clip goes offline, even though the same clip-file was duplicated into the mediafiles folder.

Alos please be aware of what I said in the very beginning of that tutorial, if you are not familiar with Avids media management there is a risk to break things when doing this manually so , if you are not sure about how to do this, just stick with your old importing workflow or maybe use ama linking.

edited ...  no ama linking in MC 3 , sorry

Tomas 

• Tue, Jul 3 2012 12:43 AM In reply to

• jssamaty
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 29 2012
    • Posts 9
    • Points 80

Timecode in Quicktime files

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller