Latest post Fri, Mar 23 2012 2:08 AM by Mark Coughlin. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 4:03 PM

Trying every way I can to make DVD and FAILING!

Hello Friends,

I simply need to make a DVD for a client and have failed dozens of times, despite trying many approaches.

Running MC 6.0.0 (currently downloading 6.0.1) on Lion 10.7.3, Mac Westmere 12-core, 15 gig RAM

I have made DVDs successfully before, but this time I am failing - It seems to be related to program length. It is a wedding DVD that has 3 chapters in the 30-45 minute range, plus some shorter ones. 1:55 minutes of content in total.

My Footage is a combination of Sony EX1 and Canon 7D, all of which was transcoded. Not using AMA.

Problems:

1. Exporting as H.264 always fails on longer program. Tried creating new user and opening sequence in new session, video & audio mixdown. No dice. Shorter programs export as H.264 just fine.

2. Exporting long programs as MP4 works, but does not work well in either of my DVD authoring programs. In iDVD, these MP4 files fail to import - iDVD just hangs every time. In Toast, the long programs import, but while playing the finished DVD, the last 2 programs, which are long ones, start to glitch and eventually freezes everytime. Does the same thing if I make an image file and then burn from that, even at a slower burn speed.

3. Tried using DNxHD files, which export smoothly and make great-looking video, but iDVD does not recognize them, Toast crashes on import every time.

Can anyone suggest a workflow that could work for me? I am in trouble with a client here!

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core intel Xeon, 15 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB, Running Lion 10.7.3, Media Composer 6.0.1, Pro Tools 10.0.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 4:12 PM In reply to

Re: Trying every way I can to make DVD and FAILING!

Hi Mark,

Many people (myself included) do not use Media Composer to do any of the exporting/encoding other than to export a Quicktime reference movie for use in whatever authoring/encoding program you've got.  So my suggestion would be:

1. When you're finished editing, duplicate your sequence.

2. Working with the duplicate sequence, create an audio and video mixdown, and edit them into the sequence replacing whatever audio and video is there.  In other words, when finished you should have a sequence made up of one video track with the video mixdown on it and one audio track with the audio mixdown on it.

Note: Create the video mixdown using whatever resolution gives you the highest quality result and doesn't take up all of your media drive space.

3. Export a Quicktime reference movie.

For the next steps, you'll need the help of a Mac person, because I don't know iDVD or Toast at all.

4. If iDVD or Toast will accept a QT reference movie, use the movie you exported in step 3 to create a DVD.

5. If iDVD or Toast will not accept a QT reference movie, use Sorensen Squeeze to convert the QT reference movie you created in step 3 to a DVD-compliant file (there are DVD presets in Squeeze for this).

6. Use the DVD files you created in Squeeze in iDVD or Toast (whichever you prefer) to make a DVD.

My last suggestion would be to figure out a workflow using a small test file (30 seconds or so) and rewritable DVD so you don't waste a lot of time and blank DVDs.  Once you know the workflow works on the short file, try it on a long one.

Hope that helps.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 5:21 PM In reply to

Instead of Toast or iDVD, I use Encore.  It accepts QTref just fine.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 5:52 PM In reply to

Thanks Karl,

I've upgraded to MC 6.0.1. Still struggling.

I tried to do a video mixdown 3 times now. Failed evey time as it neared the end. 

Cannot make a Quicktime Ref file from MXF sequence like I used to in the old days with SD media.

I tried converting the DNxHD exports to MPEG-2 using Squeeze. Two tries, both failed.

Why is this so hard? Any ideas out there?

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core intel Xeon, 15 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB, Running Lion 10.7.3, Media Composer 6.0.1, Pro Tools 10.0.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 5:56 PM In reply to

Hi Marc,

Mark Coughlin:
    Any ideas out there?

I don't know enough about Macs to say if this is related or not, but no version of Media Composer is qualified for use with 10.7.3.

If Media Composer fails when trying to do a mixdown and Squeeze fails during conversion, I'd start looking hard at your machine rather than the software on it.

That said, I'm not a Mac guy.  Hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 6:03 PM In reply to

Mark Coughlin:
    I tried to do a video mixdown 3 times now. Failed evey time as it neared the end. 

Mark Coughlin:
    Cannot make a Quicktime Ref file from MXF sequence like I used to in the old days with SD media.

Do you have enough free disk space?  

Also, you don't have to do the mixdown in one go... you can section it to keep each individual VM short.  

The idea behind the Video and Audio Mixdown is to simplify what the QTref is referencing by creating 1 single video file at a single common resolution and two audio files.  If you have to VM just 10 min chunks that's fine too.  Just be sure you don't have any frame overlaps when laying the VM back in to the seq for the export.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 3:09 PM In reply to

Thanks Kenton. I have plenty of disc space.

For some reason, I keep getting different error messages when I try to do a video mixdown. It always happens near the end of long sequences. I can do a video mixdown of the first part, but if it includes the end, it fails and I get a cryptic meesage like this: "Exception: DIDReader: Xraise Unexpected Stream Status async file system error" It is not always the same error.

I cleared all the renders and re-rendered. No dice.

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 3:39 PM In reply to

Mark Coughlin:
    I can do a video mixdown of the first part, but if it includes the end, it fails and I get a cryptic meesage

That would indicate that you have some corrupt media or effect/transition towards the end of the sequence.  Divide and Conquer.  

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 3:50 PM In reply to

Finally manage to complete a video mixdown of the entire seqence in a few parts. Turned out there was some corrupted color correction that was not fixed by re-rendering. Had to re-do the color correction.

However, when I send DVD and create a QT ref file. It is black video - no picture.

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 4:01 PM In reply to

Mark Coughlin:
    Turned out there was some corrupted color correction that was not fixed by re-rendering. Had to re-do the color correction.

You probably could've opened the Effect Editor and pulled the Color Correction effect icon over to a Bin, remove it from the Seq and then re-apply from the Bin.

Mark Coughlin:
    when I send DVD and create a QT ref file. It is black video - no picture.

Did you make sure your track was enabled/monitored when you did the output?  

Are you using Send To... or are you just exporting a straight QTref from the Seq?

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 4:55 PM In reply to

Thanks for hanging in there Kenton.

Yes the video and audio are enabled - Video plays fine, looks normal in the sequence I created using the video and audio mixdowns.

I first used "Send to DVD" usinf QT ref and then "Export" to QT ref and got the same result both times. The video plays, but there is no sound or image, just silent black. All the correct boxes seem to be checked in the export window.

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 5:09 PM In reply to

Mark Coughlin:
    All the correct boxes seem to be checked in the export window.

Can you post a screen shot of your Seq and your export settings?

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:58 PM In reply to

I was having issues with MC 6.01 failing on 60 min. Matrox H.264 exports. Matrox MAX option accelerates the export so I originally decided to go that route.  Instead my recipe is now the following.

Export a QT Ref file from MC

Use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode QT Ref file to MPEG2 video and audio file.  60 min. sequence took just under 30 min. to transcode.

Import those files into Adobe Encore and make a "First Play DVD".  Burn takes about 10 min.

I did try to let Encore do the transcoding but for some reason it was taking almost twice as long.  Strange since I thought it used the Media Encoder engine.

Daytime Gig Gear Hardware: HP Z820 32gb ram • AJA Kona LHi • Xtore 5tb RAID • NVidia Quadro 5000 • JVC 24" HD-SDI monitor • Avid Artist Color &... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 23 2012 2:08 AM In reply to

Still struggling (1 week and counting).

I've just come to the conclusion that I have a hard drive malfunctioning, causing corrupt renders.

I'm trying to slavage the drive with Discwarrior right now.

BTW, the blank (black) QT Ref files I have made are only blank in Quicktime. I can play them in Toast or even in Finder.

Crazy.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller