Latest post Wed, Apr 11 2012 3:59 AM by mjolnarn. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 10 2012 7:19 PM

• Jurelle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 10 2012
    • California
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Basic Questions, Need Help

On a first note I just want to express how utterly useless the phone numbers provided through the "support" tab on Avids website are and how the phone numbers provided did absolutely nothing to help me. Also, the way that the links provided sent me in a circle leading right back to where I started: at the Support Tab. Other than waste my time, basically I learned that even with the simplest of questions that I have, I wasn't going to get an answer from a human being unless I went and paid money for a support code. I could carry on, but I wont, but to close it up, Thank you for nothing at all Avid, Sincerely a potential customer who would like to purchase your products but can't get a few ridiculously basic questions answered through Avid itself.

My Questions:

1. Can I run Media Composer 6 on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) (its doesn't specifiy that I can in the System Req. the way that PT10 Sys. Req. does[PT10 lists off all the Windows 7 Versions ex: Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (32- or 64-bit)])

2. Do I need a hardware interface to run Media Composer 6? All I want to do is Import some Videos from my hardive from my DSLR camera and make some basic movies. I dont really understand the place of hardware interfaces with video software. I understand the place of an interface with audio sequencers in DAW's: the need to plug in microphones and instruments to capture audio performance and then edit and process it. I was going to purchase the student bundle at the awesome price of only $490 for both Pro Tools 10 and Media Composer 6, but now, I'm reconsidering because I'm finding it hard to understand all the requirements I need before I can even install it. All I have is bad experiences with software, if had ended up buying it and I couldn't even import and mess around with some basic MOV files I would have ditched Avid all together. That price for the two is the only thing keeping me hanging on.. Some answers/help, please? From anyone at this point... -_-

HP Laptop Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:32 PM In reply to

Re: Basic Questions, Need Help

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Media-Composer/system-requirements

1) OS: Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)

2) No external hardware or interface is "required".  You only need it if you want I/O to outside devices.  You might want it so you can attach a client monitor for viewing your work.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:39 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I think that there are more important things than if it is the Pro or Ultimate version of Windows 7, things as video card and drivers might be of more importance ( you can also have a look at my profile .. )

Easiest for you would be to try it for free for a couple of weeks , the trial have no other limitations that that it only lasts for 30 days .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:49 PM In reply to

• Jurelle
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Yes, I see all of that in the requirements, I know how to deal with all of that, what I don't see is the same listing as MC5.5 -  OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Windows XP Professional SP3 (32-bit), Windows Vista Business SP2 (64-bit), Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 (64-bit)

I want to try the 30 day trial, but according to the OS list for MC6 Windows 7 Ultimate isn't there

I don't want to download an 80GB program just for it not to even run...

Is Avid going to make it so MC6 can be run on more than just Professional..? I guess we'll have to wait and see

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:54 PM In reply to

• Jurelle
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Idk, maybe it does work :   http://community.avid.com/forums/p/103935/600777.aspx

I'm just looking for some surety is all, seems hard to come by

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:07 PM In reply to

"... what I don't see is the same listing ..."

Right.  They're not the same animal.  So, not the same llist of requirements.

"... I don't want to download an 80GB program just for it not to even run ..."

I get it,  That'd be 15 minutes of your life you'd never get back.

"... I guess we'll have to wait and see ..."

I get that too.  Um, I'll be editing in the meantime. Hmm

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:16 PM In reply to

• Jurelle
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

wow, you were such a great help

Thank you so much Avid Snob

oh, and have a nice day

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:22 PM In reply to

You missed the happy face at the end.  That was largly tongue in cheek.

(wwld)

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:24 PM In reply to

Jurelle:

Here's the scoop. The system requirements are there because Media Composer has very specific needs to run properly. Staying within the requirements when you buy or build a computer means the software will run correctly and you will be able to get help from Avid tech support if you need it. However, many users have deviated from the requirements in one fashion or another - some have been lucky, others have not. If your computer is "off profile", you are taking a gamble. Perhaps the software will run correctly, or perhaps not. The only way to know is to try the 30 day trial. And be advised that even if it does run correctly initially, there is a possibility that you may develop a serious problem down the road and it may stop working, but because it's off profile you will not be able to get help from tech support. It's up to you whether to take that chance of not.

And one more thing. Insulting other users by calling them a snob is prohibited in the terms of use that you agreed to follow when you signed up for this forum. I suggest you read them carefully. You will find many people here who have extensive knowledge they are willing to share as long as your tone is professional, polite and respectful. Users who continually flame and bash others will be moderated, meaning no posts will be allowed without moderator approval. Understand that this Forum is NOT an official link to Avid employees. The members are your peers - other editors all over the world who VOLUNTARILY participate to help others with no compensation to them.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:40 PM In reply to

• Jurelle
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Thank you for being so imformative. Finding a answer that wasn't vague was become overly time consuming.

I understand, but in my defense as briefly as possible, his particular response was largely subjective and if we were to interpret his words and his "happyface" that contained multiple sarcastic overtones. And if you really want to be analytical and pick apart his jargon, his "smiley" wasn't a smile at all, but a sarcastic and rude "looking away" the kind you make when you're put off by something that someone says. Not something I expected coming from a "Moderator." I didn't join in this forum to be heckled and smart mouthed and I didnt chose to come here in the first place: I sought out answers through the telephone and wasted a half an hour trying to get my basic questions answered. All very frustrating to come to here and receive vague responses and to be potentially smart mouthed afterwards.

I do apologize for calling him a snob though.

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:43 PM In reply to

Best advice given so far - download the Trial and see if it works.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 10:06 PM In reply to

My apologies as well.

(wwld)

• Wed, Apr 11 2012 3:59 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Jurelle:

Idk, maybe it does work :   http://community.avid.com/forums/p/103935/600777.aspx

Sorry, forgot that Avid Pan & Zoom bug, maybe it´s fixed now, I always use the Boris version myself

Jurelle:

I'm just looking for some surety is all, seems hard to come by

The only way to do this is to go certified all the way, not many laps are certified and the certified ones are quite expensive.

So, back to my first advice once again it seems like, that´s one of the things that trials are for .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller