Latest post Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:10 PM by Job ter Burg. 74 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 24 2012 3:53 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Re: Media Composer to Symphony 6 Crossgrade - $999

AndrewAction:
    How do you think that would make the loyal Symphony user base feel? Consider that most of them (if not all) paid at least an entry level price for Symphony of $35K plus.

I'm sure seeing it offered at $999, or even the MSRP of $6k has to sting after getting in at a price like that...  Sorry for your pain. LOL   [:'(]

Wishhing you a better batting average!

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:14 AM In reply to

Camilo:
    Wishhing you a better batting average!
    Thanks! However it could be a lost cause. Most people with averages far better than mine would normally feel obliged to take early retirement.

• Wed, Apr 25 2012 12:06 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,327
    • Points 53,490

I believe since there was not a big product release available for NAB, this special pricing was meant to be the "big" thing...revenue another...However, as the wet towel (MC) continues to be wrung, less and less water becomes available from each twist.

Very tough to compete vs Adobe with the integration they have and the much less restrictive hardware requirements.

There will always be an outcry from those who believe such offers devalue the investment they have made over the years. What must be considered is the financial health of the provider and what is required to insure viability in the currently devalued niche market.

What must be taken into consideration was Apple's move away from a market that demands high talent and development and support to one that yields higher return with less investment. They have been on a roll re: reading what the market wants and providing just enough not to completely quench the thirst of their expanding market.

Release of an Apple product creates lines overnight at outlets. A new release in this market generates a far more conservative response mainly waiting out the bug/benefit equasion.

Apples and Oranges to be sure, yet the investors are not as interested in technicial details as they are cashflow.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Apr 25 2012 2:36 PM In reply to

• wookie25
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 25 2008
    • Posts 195
    • Points 2,700

Could someone please tell me what "Universal Mastering"

is? and why would I want it?.

• Wed, Apr 25 2012 2:55 PM In reply to

You can only use Universal Mastering if you have a Nitris DX box attached to your Symphony

Quoting Job ter Burg in this thread:
    http://community.avid.com/forums/p/75628/423980.aspx

Job ter Burg:

Universal Mastering means that you can take any 23/24/25p SD or HD project and output as 23/24/25/29 p or i SD or HD during Digital Cut, including necessary speed changes.

With UM, if you need to deliver a PAL 25p broadcast master from a 23.98p project, you do a Digital Cut at 25fps, speeding it up ±4%.

And quoting Dylan Reeve from his blog here:
    http://dylanreeve.com/videotv/2012/what-is-avid-symphony.html

Job ter Burg:

Universal Mastering. Essentially it allows you to make outputs in multiple formats from a single sequence, in realtime, to tape. Effectively you create a 24p master sequence. You can then choose to output that to tape as any normal video standard – it will speed up audio and vision to create a 25fps master, or add pulldown to create 29.97fps versions. This is a huge deal for people doing mastering of video for DVD film releases etc, but much less important for most other people. It’s also not available without Avid’s Nitris DX hardware, so isn’t relevant to most people looking to make the switch to Symphony.

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Wed, Apr 25 2012 2:56 PM In reply to

wookie25:

Could someone please tell me what "Universal Mastering"

is? and why would I want it?.

I placed the following here some time ago, which may help. It explains the difference between Mix & Match framerates (standard feature in MC as well as Symph) and Universal Mastering (only on Symph):

Job ter Burg:
    Universal Mastering means that you can take any 23/24/25p SD or HD project and output as 23/24/25/29 p or i SD or HD during Digital Cut, including necessary speed changes.

Mix and match allows you to use different framerates within the same project, and it will adjust motion adapters on clips that don't match the sequence frame rate.

With UM, if you need to deliver a PAL 25p broadcast master from a 23.98p project, you do a Digital Cut at 25fps, speeding it up ±4%.

If you would need to deliver the same master using M&M, you would not easily achieve this. If you would open your 23.98p sequence in a 50i or 25p project, M&M would autochange the playback speed of the clips in the timeline, so that realtime remains realtime. Which will not give you a generally accepted broadcast master.

And this is what the Digital Cut window looks like in 1080P-projects in Symphony:

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 3:03 PM In reply to

Wim Van den Broeck:
    You can only use Universal Mastering if you have a Nitris DX box attached to your Symphony
    Indeed. Important to know if you need it.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 3:27 PM In reply to

• wookie25
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 25 2008
    • Posts 195
    • Points 2,700

• Wed, Apr 25 2012 4:33 PM In reply to

Here's a pretty good article explaining the differences.  features, benefits, and costs.

http://dylanreeve.com/videotv/2012/what-is-avid-symphony.html

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, May 1 2012 3:53 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,579
    • Points 65,455

More useful info from Dylan Reeve http://vimeo.com/41270110

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, May 3 2012 9:05 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,445
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Glad I could be helpful... 

It's really hard to accurately express how much of a time saver the relational colour correction can be. I did the base grade of 5x22 minute episodes today in about an hour and a half (faster than "real time"). Most scenes in my work tend to take about three or four corrections to cover the whole scene.

I also graded a single episode of another 22 minute show in Resolve today. That base grade took a little over 2.5 hours (not including rendering). I wlll be revisiting it tomorrow for a second pass and tweaks. Resolves gives me more additional flexability, but for most shows I'm only using a single correction node anyway.

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Thu, May 3 2012 3:04 PM In reply to

Hi,

my company had  three Avid Suites  with MC 5.5

A few feeks ago we bought from our Avid Dealer  in Germany 1 Crossgrade to Symphony for 3,449 € and 1 Upgrade to MC 6 for 498 € and additionally 2 Upgrades to Boris 8.

We installed and registered the Software only days before the new offer (crossgrade for $999) came out.

As we are loyal Avid costumers and users we thought that our Avid dealer could work out a faireness deal but that seems to be rather difficult. (At least it would have been cool to have Symphony on all our systhem withour spending another  2000 $ on the 4000 $ we already spent)

We are really dissappointed. It's tough that Avid doesn't reward your loyality at all.

• Thu, May 3 2012 3:10 PM In reply to

Seems to me that it's up to your reseller to "make it right", not Avid.  You are the reseller's customer and you purchased from them with the expectation that they would take care of you.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, May 3 2012 3:13 PM In reply to

Kesuke Miyagi:
    We are really dissappointed. It's tough that Avid doesn't reward your loyality at all.

Avid has addressed similar sentiments on this post:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/106170/628442.aspx#628442

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, May 8 2012 6:38 AM In reply to

I ordered the crossgrade, yet have to go back to MC5.5 until that keyboard issue is out of the way. Anyone found a solution to that yet? I have tried mapping foreign keyboard, but it either doesn´t change a thing or tell me that the key is already mapped. It´s like working with mittens.

This keyboard issue has been in MC6 from the start, that is how many months now? 4? I don´t recall.

¡It would be nice if this could be fixed FINALLY!!!

No

EDIT

Sorry I just found that 6.1.1 fixed it for me, I had read it wouldn´t but it does.

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
Page 4 of 5 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller