Latest post Thu, May 10 2012 11:46 AM by Pat Horridge. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 17 2012 8:04 PM

Symphony upgrade questions

I assume all these are true but would hate to find out after $1000 upgrade that they are not...

I have ScriptSync and PhraseFind... will they carry over to the Symphony upgrade?

Can I still use a Dongle?

Can I still use MXO2?

Any pitfalls that anyone is aware of?

MC 7.0.2 iMac 4Ghz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.10.3, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, Retina 5k 27" + Dell 24", Flanders Scientific LM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 17 2012 11:34 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: Symphony upgrade questions

Can't answer the ScriptSync and PhraseFind question, but you definitely can keep your dongle.  What you won't be able to do with it is launch any version of Media Composer.  Also the MXO2 or any other third party hardware will function as it does with MC.  Symphony is, after all, MC with additional features unlocked.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 6:59 AM In reply to

rfmeredith:
    I have ScriptSync and PhraseFind... will they carry over to the Symphony upgrade?
    If you're currently on 5.5 with SS and PF licenses, then yes. Just like they would carry over if you upgraded your MC to v6.

Understand that essentially, MC and Symph are the exact same software, but Symph has one point five extra features (advanced CC is one, Universal Mastering is the 'point five' as it requires Nitris DX to work) that are unlocked. Everything else is the same.

Open I/O is the same for Symph as it is for MC.

If you have a dongle, you can keep it. An MC->Symph crossgrade code you buy can then be used at avid.com/upgrade to create a dongle updater file, which you then use to update your dongle.

Caveat: a Symphony dongle won't let you launch anything but Symphony. So you cannot take the Symph dongle to launch an install of MC. Also, Symph 5.5 and earlier did NOT work software-only nor with 3rd party I/O, just with Nitris DX or Classic Nitris.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:45 AM In reply to

Another thing to check is that I currently can't use my Script Sync serial on my Symphony Dongle.

When trying to activate Script sync is wants to activate Symphony via licensing and as it's a dongle that doesn't work (there isn't an actiation serial number) so I never get to the stage of being able to input my script sync serial to activate it.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:58 AM In reply to

That's weird Pat. I just have plain vanilla SS and PF licenses on my dongled Symphony 6.0.1.

Thing is: when you have PF/SS installed under v5.5, and leave PF/SS activated, then install v6, the SS/PF licenses should be activated. If not, you need to contact support (the old license keys for 5.5 won't fit into the new License Control so they would need to swap your codes for new ones).

Normal activation of SS/PF is not from the application but though Avid License Control, where there are separate "activate" buttons for SS and PF and the Editor. No need to activate the editor in order to have PF/SS activated.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:47 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    Caveat: a Symphony dongle won't let you launch anything but Symphony. So you cannot take the Symph dongle to launch an install of MC.

Is the same true for the Software License? Will one be able to launch MC with a Symphony System ID and Software License? Not being able to go back to previous versions, I would have to think about that - right after buying MC 5 I went back to MC 4 for a while till some bugs were gone...

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 6:51 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 348
    • Points 4,315

Correct - a Symphony license, whether dongle or SW activation-based, only opens Symphony. And rolling back from Symphony 6 to an earlier Symphony version necessitates Nitris "Classis" or DX "HW only, no 3rd party HW.

Avid MC 2012.12 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Thu, Apr 19 2012 1:37 PM In reply to

bonang:
    a Symphony license, whether dongle or SW activation-based, only opens Symphony.

Hm, afraid that´s not gonna fly. Let´s see if Avid manages to solve at least the keyboard language issue in MC 6 till the crossgrade option runs out in june...

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 19 2012 1:48 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Can't believe there's been all this discussion about the dongle.  As I said in the first post after the question:

jwrl:
    you definitely can keep your dongle.  What you won't be able to do with it is launch any version of Media Composer.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 19 2012 2:16 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

That's weird Pat. I just have plain vanilla SS and PF licenses on my dongled Symphony 6.0.1.

Thing is: when you have PF/SS installed under v5.5, and leave PF/SS activated, then install v6, the SS/PF licenses should be activated. If not, you need to contact support (the old license keys for 5.5 won't fit into the new License Control so they would need to swap your codes for new ones).

Normal activation of SS/PF is not from the application but though Avid License Control, where there are separate "activate" buttons for SS and PF and the Editor. No need to activate the editor in order to have PF/SS activated.

Yup that's where I'm trying to activate SS in the Licnese control. I clikc the activate SS button and it prompts me for the MC System ID and serial. SS hasn't been activated on thsi machine before and wasn't activated when it was V5.5 either.

I chase it up with Avid direct.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Apr 20 2012 7:41 AM In reply to

I just remembered that Avid Customer Support gave me a second serial number for MC4 after I upgraded to MC5, so I now have two serials opening either MC4 or MC5, of course only one at a time. Do you think it would be possible to keep the MC5 serial working when upgrading to Symphony?

• Tue, Apr 24 2012 6:58 AM In reply to

Anyone knows if its possible to get another serial for the same license, activating MC? See above...

• Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:21 AM In reply to

None of us can answer that, Thomas.  You'll have to ask Avid directly or send an email to Marianna Montague (marianna.montague@avid.com).

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:27 AM In reply to

Thanks Carl, I´ll do that :)

• Sat, May 5 2012 10:28 PM In reply to

Not to beat the subject to death (but it does involve how I eek out what's left of my livelihood).

Do you think it would be possible to upgrade to Symphony via Software License, and keep my dongle as is for my rock-stable Media Composer?

I'm one of those that's hesitant to mess with things while in the middle of an ongoing project.

Lash

Antec P183 Antec CP-850 850W Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Asus P6T Deluxe v2 OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600 12GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller