Latest post Thu, May 24 2012 11:13 AM by Kristina. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 11 2012 7:59 PM

• half-fast
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 3 2008
    • Syracuse NY
    • Posts 23
    • Points 280

evs dnxhd files?

I have a hard drive with a bunch of files generated by an evs. The evs op set the evs to record avid dnxhd145. He used evs xfile to copy the clips to the hard drive. They are mxf files with an accompanying xml file.

I'm using mc 5.5.3 on a unity system. I have tried to access the files via ama, by copying them to the AvidMediaFiles directory and using the media tool to drag the files to a bin, and by importing them.

The media tool doesn't find the files, and when I ama or import I get a not supported format error.

If I open the xml files, there's a lot of info in there, but among other things it says "video codec avid dnxhd low 8b"

any ideas?

MC Nitis DX on HP z400 Unity Media engine 5.1 16tb 5 MC soft HP z400 2 MC soft on dell M70 laptops [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 11 2012 9:09 PM In reply to

• Kristina
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 28 2010
    • Germany
    • Posts 462
    • Points 5,590

Re: evs dnxhd files?

Hi,

in evs xfile you could either wrap to "mxf-op1a", "mxf-atom", or the worst case "mxf-evs"... This last one would not import to avid, regardless which videocodec. Ask your evs-op which mxf he have chosen in xfile. For the future best use "mxf-atom" for DNxHD, these generated files are directly compatible to avids mediafile folder (drag&drop + scan). You won´t need the xml-files anyway, they were created for use with evs own devices like ipd or xt access.

Best regards,

Kristina

several z800 and xw8600 Nitris DX, MC v.5.5.3, Win XP Prof SP3, ISIS-5000 16TB with Force 10 Switch 10Gig, several MOG S1010 ingest servers, several EVS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 12 2012 3:40 PM In reply to

• half-fast
    • Not Ranked
    • Syracuse NY
    • Posts 23
    • Points 280

thanks, is it possible to re-wrap these files?

MC Nitis DX on HP z400 Unity Media engine 5.1 16tb 5 MC soft HP z400 2 MC soft on dell M70 laptops [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 12 2012 4:06 PM In reply to

• Kristina
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 462
    • Points 5,590

So which mxf is it? EVS own style? As far as I know, there is no possibility inside MC itself to rewrap these files (even with TM).

The easiest way -> The material is still present on evs servers, ask the OP to do the streaming again with MXF-atom wrapper via Xfile.

If the material on the evs servers is gone (loop recording) ask for a rewrap of your files with evs XT-access and IPD - if available.

If not available ask for a restore of the evs-mxf files via Xfile on evs servers itself and do the streaming again with mxf-atom wrapper.

Best regards,

Kristina

several z800 and xw8600 Nitris DX, MC v.5.5.3, Win XP Prof SP3, ISIS-5000 16TB with Force 10 Switch 10Gig, several MOG S1010 ingest servers, several EVS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 13 2012 6:03 PM In reply to

• half-fast
    • Not Ranked
    • Syracuse NY
    • Posts 23
    • Points 280

I don't know what version of mxf they are. I'll have to restore to an evs and redo

• Wed, May 23 2012 9:14 PM In reply to

• TVPROD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 3 2010
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 405

I have exactly the the same problem.

I have MXF (DnxHD 120 in 1080i50, europe shooting) but unfortunately the EVS Operator settings were in MXF-OP1A, not ATOM.

We will edit on a stand-alone MC 5, so I can't use the EVS not easy software with Interplay.

I can link to AMA, it works, but to edit multicam I need to transcode, and I don't want. So how can I simply re-wrap the MXF into MXF-ATOM. I don't want to buy a 600$ software only for one EVS Operator error.

Thanks,

William.

Avid Media Composer and Symphony on MACS (5.5, 6) with Mojos and Blackmagic cards / Caldigit SAS storage / Resolve for grading [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , , , ,
  • Wed, May 23 2012 10:02 PM In reply to

• Kristina
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 462
    • Points 5,590

Hi,

If you just drag&drop your Op1a File to your bin it should do a fast import with no transcoding just rewrapping.

(Check your MediaCreationSettings first for DNxHD)

A few weeks ago there was a nice description of "fast import" by Carl and Wim.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/106941/633795.aspx#633795

Best regards,

Kristina

• Thu, May 24 2012 6:00 AM In reply to

• TVPROD
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 405

Thanks Kristina, but no, Avid will not import MXF-OP1A. Avid answer it can import only MXF-ATOM...

Avid Media Composer and Symphony on MACS (5.5, 6) with Mojos and Blackmagic cards / Caldigit SAS storage / Resolve for grading [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 24 2012 9:35 AM In reply to

• Kristina
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 462
    • Points 5,590

Hi,

usually it is not possible to import MXFatom, these files must be placed directly in the MediaFiles directory path (mxf-1) to be scanned and work with MC.

If the MXFop1a files can´t be (fast)imported, I guess the easiest way would be to link by ama and consolidate. In my understanding the codec won´t change and you will get an MXFatom file - so rewrapping - by that command.

Best regards,

Kristina

• Thu, May 24 2012 10:04 AM In reply to

• TVPROD
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 405

I've tried, it take approximatively the clip time to do that (50 min for a 45 min clip). I'm not sure that's only re-wrapping, I think Avid is re-encoding and I will loose in quality, no ?

Regards, and thanks Krisitina for your help !

William.

• Thu, May 24 2012 11:13 AM In reply to

• Kristina
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 462
    • Points 5,590

Welcome!

To compare the time it takes you could just copy the files from the source to the same target hdd where you consolidate to. If it takes much shorter, then avid does indeed more than just rewrapping during your consolidate...

But I guess you won´t "see" much quality difference in the content either.

Regards,

Kristina

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller