Latest post Tue, May 15 2012 8:54 PM by Kevin Klimek. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 15 2012 5:24 AM

MC6 beach balling - real bummer

well I'm an AVID newbie, making the transition from FCP...after all of the transcoding and importing to AVIDs native codecs and the rest of the hoopla about this rock solid editing environment I'm plagued with beach balls while performing normal editing tasks like overwrites and trims.  It's been a frustrating task just to get up and running within the application but nevertheless I'm still optimistic.  

Is anyone else experiencing frequent crashes or endless beach balls?  Is it my graphics card?  I have 11GB of ram and nothing else is running on the machine outside of AVID. 

frustrated :(

Avid MC 7.0.3 | Mac Pro 3.06 GHz 12-Core | 64 GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1024 MB | OS 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]

Charles Little II
    Director/Editor
    http://charleslittle2.com
    #charleslittle2

Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, May 15 2012 2:34 PM In reply to

Re: MC6 beach balling - real bummer

In the Qualified Systems for MC Guide, that model is supported, but you are supposed to have your memory installed in triplets, so either 6GB (3 x 2GB) or 12GB (3x 4GB) of RAM is qualified.

Your 11GB might be throwing something off.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, May 15 2012 3:12 PM In reply to

thanks for that tip Kevin.  I wonder if there's a test or some sort of diagnostic that can be run to determine if that IS why my system is beachballing?  Looks like I need an AVID AE in my world.

Avid MC 7.0.3 | Mac Pro 3.06 GHz 12-Core | 64 GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1024 MB | OS 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]

Charles Little II
    Director/Editor
    #charleslittle2

• Tue, May 15 2012 3:19 PM In reply to

It's hard to say...I haven't experienced that kind of beach balling, so I'm not sure.  It is an usual memory config, which could lead to some issues.

What kind of footage are you using when you experience this?  What kind of storage?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, May 15 2012 4:01 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

Charles, I think you'll find that not many Avid users are going thru what you're going thru.  A properly set up Avid system is pretty rock solid and I personally never crash or beach ball.  There are always issues that can come up, and do.  But as a matter of course, Avid is very stable.  I think the suggestion to look at your system's specs and storage, are very good one's.  Are you using firewire 800, or Esata?  Get back to us about this because people here know what they're doing and can be extremely helpful in getting to the bottom of any issues with your set up.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 15 2012 4:11 PM In reply to

there are a total of 176 clips in the project...the entire project (shot on 5D/7D) has been transcoded to DNxHD 75.  I linked to AMA volume first then selected all of the AMA clips in the master bin and transcoded to DNxHD 75.  I then IMPORTED a select group of 6 individual clips which is also 7D footage shot at 60fps for slo-mo.  I IMPORTED those select clips b/c I needed them to play back in real time NOT in slow-mo in my 720p30 (29.97) timeline.  ALL of the media has been transcoded or converted within AVID MC6.

The media lives on a 2.0TB Serial ATA Drive (installed internally) with 1.18 TB FREE.

I have 8 memory slots in total with 6 slots being taken up, in pairs of course...as I've never heard of matching ram in THREE's until TODAY!  There are (2) 512MBs (2) 1GB (2) 4GB 667MHz DDR2 modules.  I guess I could purchase a 1GB and a 4GB module and replace the (2) 512s if this will help AVID run as it should?

thoughts?

Charles Little II
    Director/Editor
    #charleslittle2

• Tue, May 15 2012 4:25 PM In reply to

Your workflow is good and shouldn't be causing any issues.

Is your memory in slots 1,2,3 and 5,6,7?  Apple doesn't say anything specific in their requirements about memory other than slot position, Avid is listing the 6GB or 12GB memory.  I'm not 100% sure that is the cause, so I hate to make you buy memory when it might not solve anything.

What OS are you running?  If you are on 6.0.1.1, you are able to go up to 10.7.3.

-- Kevin

• Tue, May 15 2012 6:03 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

I'm not a strong Avid tech guy (but there are many on these forums), but have you checked to see how full your system drive is.  I've heard about very full system drives can choke the application.  Have you checked the mac Activity Monitor, to see if something else is running and using up resources.  Have you tried starting a new project and importing just one or two clips into it, and see how that project works when doing the same editing tasks.  Just a few ideas.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 15 2012 6:09 PM In reply to

+1 on the Activity Monitor.  That's an excellent idea.

-- Kevin

• Tue, May 15 2012 7:52 PM In reply to

thanks u guys for the reassurance and experienced responses.  Im running 10.7.3 on my Mac...but that system drive comment also seems to be resonating... I do keep Activity Monitor open to monitor my CPU and memory usage..there's nothing going on there that would make my app's performance make sense...but I'm glad to hear that the people DO NOT experience poor performance and crashes normallly.  

Being as though I'm in LA and AVID will become my mainstay editing suite...I think I'll spend the money and pay a qualified tech to come out and troubleshoot my system and help me optimize it.  Melrose Mac or other vendors here in LA specialize in that sort of support...I'll have to be careful not to get upsold too much...but I have work to do and I'd much rather be working than "exploring all of my options" as I make this transition which has been a long time coming to be honest.

My system drive is a smaller drive of only 250GB and there are only 89GB free on that drive...unless I have a faulty motherboard and the pipeline is the problem...

thanks again for the input folks!  good to know ur out there.

Charles Little II
    Director/Editor
    #charleslittle2

• Tue, May 15 2012 8:20 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

Just for kicks, try my suggestion of starting a new project and importing just a few clips, and see if you still have the same problems.  I'm not sure what that would mean going forward, but it would be another piece of the pizzle.  And the guys from Melrose Mac might be able to use the info.  I think it's a greta idea to have it all set up correctly.  You're making an investment, you should get it set up to work right and that'll free your mind to edit without needless worry.

• Tue, May 15 2012 8:39 PM In reply to

exactly!  I'll try your suggestion...create a new project with only a dozen or so master clips...work a little furiously and see if she chokes at all.

cheers all!

(until my next conundrum)

Charles Little II
    Director/Editor
    #charleslittle2

• Tue, May 15 2012 8:54 PM In reply to

Your other option, if you are comfortable with it, is to do a clean install, especially if you didn't before.  It means you'd have to back up any data you want to keep, but I'm guessing that will be one of the steps any tech would look at as well.

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller