Latest post Tue, Oct 29 2019 5:30 PM by goodBoy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 16 2012 8:50 PM

• maelkoth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 16 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

Scriptsync's Find Script using subclips

Hi.  I dropped subclips of a GROUPED master clip into a script, ran scriptsync and everything is fine.  But when I want to matchframe back to the script using the "Find Script" button, I get an error beep from the mac.  I think the issue is that when I matchframe, the Avid loads the grouped master clip into the source window instead of the grouped subclip.  Is there a workaround, or is it a limitation of Scriptsync?  

• Sun, May 20 2012 9:33 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,536
    • Points 64,265
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Scriptsync's Find Script using subclips

It's a limitation.  Probably more Media Composer than ScriptSync.  While you can make sub-clips of grouped clips you can't match back to them like you can with sub-clips of un-grouped clips.  Go figure.

If you want to get ScriptSync to handle repeating dialog in a take do this:

1.  Mark the beginning and end of the part of the take you want to sync using the in and out buttons.

2.  Highlight the corresponding section of the script and drag the clip into the highlighted section.

3.  Go to the In point (the Q key) and place a mark on the script.  This will add a mark at the top of the take.

4.  Go to the Out point (the W key) and highlight the last line of the script section you selected and place another mark at the end of the take.

5.  When the ScriptSync dialog opens, check "Sync between marks".  (Note: there is no description of this function in the online manual.)

You can check if you've done this correctly by clicking on the marks on the script and confirming that the take in the source monitor has gone to the in or out point locations that you originally marked.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Oct 28 2019 5:12 AM In reply to

• goodBoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 24 2019
    • Posts 30
    • Points 310

I'm having this issue now on a project. I am using ScriptSync on long interviews for a feature docu-drama. Here is my workflow:

1. Link to RED footage. 
    2. Group A+B cam with audio. 
    3. Mark IN's and OUT's and create subclips
    4. Transcode my proxies from the subclips
    5. Use subclips to sync the transcripts
    Seems where I went wrong is I should have used the new groups that were created during transcode instead of the subclips to sync the transcripts. However it's confusing because I used the subclips to create my interview sequence, yet I can't get back to those subclips using 'Match Frame', and therefore I can't link back to the script again. Really annoying! I now have to go back into transcripts and resync everything using the group clips! Is my workflow bad, or is this something Avid should cater for?

iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32 GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB, QNAP NAS connected by Thunderbolt, OS 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 28 2019 1:15 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 53
    • Points 520

When you say Grouped, you mean Mutli-Grouped, right? 

Not sure if this will work, but have you tried matching back to the script from the record side?  That is to say, if you hold down the option key when pressing "Find Script" it will work from within a sequence, as opposed to matching back and then finding the script.    I suspect the problem will be the same though, because Avid cuts in the underlying clip from a multi-group I believe.

Avid MC 2018.9.0 Mac Os High Sierra (10.13.6) iMac Pro (2017) 2.3Ghz Intel Xeon W 128 GB 266 Mhz DDR4 Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 29 2019 4:10 AM In reply to

• goodBoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 310

I just created groups, not multi-groups.

Yes - the problem is the same trying to link to the script from the sequence, since MC uses the group clips when you edit a subclip into a sequence.

iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32 GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB, QNAP NAS connected by Thunderbolt, OS 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 29 2019 1:01 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 53
    • Points 520

Hmmm.  I use groups and script-sync all the time.  I group the clip and then sync it to a script and everything works fine (most of the time).  It still sounds like you're talking about a multi-group clip to me.   A group clip edits into the sequence as a group-clip and matches back as a group-clip as far as my experience goes.

EDIT:  Sorry that is wrong, I just double-checked on my Avid.  Both Group-Clips and Mutli-Group-Clips match back into my source monitor AND find-script fine.   MC 2018.9.0

NOTE: There is a separate (unresolved still I believe) issue where sometimes "find script" stops working for many scripts in a project if the script is closed.  But once the script is open, it still works.   I've had this happen on a few projects and never figured out what the issue was, but it seemed realted to moving/merging projects on different systems.

Avid MC 2018.9.0 Mac Os High Sierra (10.13.6) iMac Pro (2017) 2.3Ghz Intel Xeon W 128 GB 266 Mhz DDR4 Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 29 2019 5:30 PM In reply to

• goodBoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 310

It's not the group-clips that are the issue. The group-clips link back to the scripts without a problem. The issue is that I used the group subclips that the proxies were transcoded from to sync to my scripts. The problem is that when I then edited these subclips into my sequence, those segments in the sequence don't link back to the subclips anymore... they link back to the group clips that were created when I transcoded.

Hope that makes sense?!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller