Latest post Thu, May 24 2012 5:37 AM by mjolnarn. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 23 2012 9:56 AM In reply to

Re: HDV and QT Reference File Issues (maybe)

Funny but we use MPEG STREAMCLIP 90% more than Squeeze. It simply works :-)

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Wed, May 23 2012 10:03 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ervz Tia (Tikboy):

Funny but we use MPEG STREAMCLIP 90% more than Squeeze. It simply works :-)

Thats one of the applications that are reported to create a file header info ( where the codec info is stored ) that Avid cannot read so Ama linking isn´t possible in certain cases, only import works , I guess that you get what you pay for as always .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, May 23 2012 3:43 PM In reply to

Sorry, we only use MPEG-SC it at the back-end for delivery files.

Even with native (straight from card) m2t files, we never had AMA success.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Wed, May 23 2012 4:06 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:
    Correct and I have seen a lot of users very satisfied with this workflow , working directly off captured tapes, I have seen comments as " worth every penny " ...

If this, from the Calibrated website, is correct, then I'd say worth every penny is an understatement. Yes

Advanced Features

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode allows users to easily turn QuickTime Gamma Correction ON or OFF(default), and control a variety of other color options within the Calibrated{Q} XD Options application.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, May 24 2012 1:50 AM In reply to

Calibrated looks interesting.

• Just for clarification, Calibrated{Q} XD Decode is the one for HDV (M2T) workflow?
    • Once HDV-AMA is enabled, how is the performance? Faster/better than mp4's (EOS-7D) clips (a bit slow for me)?

Thanks!

--

• Thu, May 24 2012 3:38 AM In reply to

• evansmalley
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Kansas City, MO (USA)
    • Posts 500
    • Points 6,370

Having struggled with these issues much, I can relate to what you're saying. Personally, I don't admire how Avid deals with HDV. It's seems illogical and unprofessional to me. HDV is a real format! The workarounds and workflows you have to deal with seem poorly built. Unseemly for the "Best Editor on the Planet, period", I think.

The file size limitations and finicky export neccessities show poor design, seems to me! But it's easy for me to critical- and fault-finding is so easy! (I couldn't design ANYTHING so... never mind!) Still- it's just way too difficult! Can't you design software better? Do "lower-end" apps like Vegas or Premiere make you jump through these hoops to export HDV? 

For me, it's easier to just put the submaster effect on the top video track than to mixdown video and audio separately and then re-assemble them, and then to export. But hopefully, some of you can explain an easier workflow...?  

Still- Avid never has seemed to make life easy for us guys who deal less-than-Hollywood-fancy formats, it seems. Maybe that's part of it being the Emperor's New Clothes... maybe it's just essential to it's amazingly holy gravitas. Just seems like a pain in my bottom.

Please, Avid- could you possibly make it easier to export HDV? Some of your paying customers have to do dirty work.   

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Windows7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 24 2012 3:50 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

It's often been the Quicktime vs mpeg struggle. Always appeared that Avid expected the HDV format to go away...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, May 24 2012 4:05 AM In reply to

Wow, I'm about to throw the towel on my little 'consumer' workflow :-)

Thanks for sharing...you should search past discussions about HDV (inlcuding mine:-)

We're a non-profit organization and our Sony Z1 & Z7s are already jewels. Did we fail on our choice?

Still hoping for a brighter future.

--

• Thu, May 24 2012 5:37 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Nothing wrong with HDV at all, I´m treating it in the same way as AVCHD regarding workflows, the only difference is how I bring it inside Avid .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller