Latest post Tue, May 22 2012 2:42 PM by Kevin Klimek. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 21 2012 9:20 PM

• mmagbee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

Export Settings for an HD Sequence to be ultimately be burned to DVD

Hello All,

Looking for any pointers here. I need to export an HD sequence out of Avid (PC) in order to put it through Squeeze and ultimately create a DVD.

The problem is I am running into some time issues here. The sequence is an hour long and exporting a full, uncompressed Quicktime file takes roughly 8 hours. Also, if I use a Quicktime reference file, mixing down the sequence (applying transcodes [footage was shot on the RED and linked in the Avid via AMA] and color correction) takes about 5 to 6 hours. Then when I put the Quicktime reference file through Squeeze, that process takes about 7 hours.

So, clearly I am in a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation.

Any suggestions for alternate settings, procedures, etc.?

Much Thanks!

• Mon, May 21 2012 10:46 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 348
    • Points 4,315

Re: Export Settings for an HD Sequence to be ultimately be burned to DVD

Qt ref is the way to go, but you've already considered this. Only other path, if your timeline plays out in real time, would be to take the SD downconvert output signal to a real time DVD recorder, like the Sony HDR-HX715 I have, which accepts a component analog signal.

- Keith

Avid MC 2012.12 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Tue, May 22 2012 2:42 PM In reply to

Re: Export Settings for an HD Sequence to be ultimately be burned to DVD

That would be expected.  You have to convert the giant RED files to SD somehow.  It's either going to happen when you transcode or if you process a QT Ref file.

At least by taking the time to transcode, you also will leave yourself with a self-contained master. 

Otherwise, live playout is probably the only other way to do this, but playback might not be reliable on an hour-long program.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller