Latest post Thu, May 24 2012 9:43 PM by John Moore. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 23 2012 9:16 AM

Do you get USB dongle with FCP Crossgrade

Hi guys,

I am new to everything Avid, mostly used Adobe and FCP. 

Recently did a FCP cross grade and only received electronic activation codes. I asked the dealer if USB dongle license is possible? He reverted back with USB dongle is with USD6000 purchase of Symphony. Now is this true guys. Them I must say that it's kind of disappointing the way AVID is making us users buy Thier products with a catch. 

I edit on my Mac Pro and and MacBook pro (when I travel) and am the only user.  

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, May 23 2012 10:11 AM In reply to

Re: Do you get USB dongle with FCP Crossgrade

New systems are Software Activation only.  You may be able to purchase a dongle for $295.  Contact Avid Inside Sales.

"Call 800 949 2843 and select option 1 to speak with an Avid sales representative."

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, May 23 2012 2:00 PM In reply to

On top of that, your dealer doesn't seem to be aware of the US$995 FCP-to-Symphony crossgrade offer that's ongoing.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 23 2012 2:11 PM In reply to

"... On top of that, your dealer doesn't seem to be aware of the US$995 FCP-to-Symphony crossgrade offer that's ongoing ..."

Just a guess ... perhaps the $6,000 version includes the Nitris DX?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, May 23 2012 2:38 PM In reply to

I did the FCP Cross grade for USD 995. I recieved a box, with the codes. Now, when I asked the dealer that I needed a dongle (I would pay for it, no problem). He said, that "the FCP cross grade does not qualify for you to use USB dongle license"

My question then would be is it true? Where is that written anywhere on Avid.com

Or is the dealer is trying to rip if off here. I could very well contest them, but they said they have checked with AVID. 

Please bear in mind I am the only user, at any given time I would be either using it on my Macbook Pro or on my Mac Pro.

• Wed, May 23 2012 2:46 PM In reply to

As Larry wrote, dongle is a paid option. If your dealer can't or won't help, contact Avid directly. Crossgrade or not should make no difference. The 6000 USD version also ships without a dongle.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 24 2012 12:25 AM In reply to

just created a case in Avid Support center, hopefully there is positive response. Huh?

• Thu, May 24 2012 12:48 AM In reply to

Again.  Call Avid Sales.  they can sell you a dongle.  A support case will get you nowhere other than a confirmation that you can buy a dongle, through Avid sales.  800-949-AVID

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Thu, May 24 2012 1:23 AM In reply to

I love turtles.

and dongles.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 24 2012 9:43 PM In reply to

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 394
    • Points 4,450

For what it's worth I recently did the FCP crossgrade and my dealer was able to get the dongle option for me for the afore mentioned price around $300.00 for the dongle option.  This was for the Symphony 6 cross grade but I'm pretty sure this is an option for any version of Avid.

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller