Latest post Tue, Jun 26 2012 1:22 PM by jwrl. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 25 2012 1:14 AM

Fluid Film Effect Artifacts

hi

I have a project that was shot on XDCam HD (1080i/60).   I want to apply a film effect to the final product.  I've done a video mixdown of the 2 hour segement, applied the Timewarp fluid film 2:3 cadence.  But I'm getting some wierd artifacts (there is a lot of motion, it is a concert event with dance etc). This is the first time I've ever tried this with this kind of footage - always did film effect back in the day on DVCam without incident.

Any ideas what I can do to get rid of these artifacts?

Thanks in advance for any help - I should mention I'm not a seasoned editor so please explain in detail any suggetsions you may have

Stephanie

• Mon, Jun 25 2012 6:26 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,407
    • Points 97,250

Re: Fluid Film Effect Artifacts

Those artifacts occur where you have a lot of fast motion and/or fine detail in your footage.  Open the Timewarp effect and try setting it to "Blended Interpolated" instead of "FluidFilm".  That should give an acceptable result without the pixel flow artifacts.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 25 2012 8:22 AM In reply to

Ok, so just to be clear.  I still choose the Fluidfilm 2:3 Cadence for film effect, but in the motion effect editor I change the type to blended interpolated with source interlaced and output of Film with 2:3 pulldown. And this will still give me a film effect look without the artifacts?  Just want to be clear as we have 7 hours of video and the rendering of this takes forever.... No time for mistakes.

steph :)

• Mon, Jun 25 2012 9:38 AM In reply to

You should render only one minute just to see if the result is ok for you ;)

Media Composer 2019.12 on PC Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3960X, + 64 Go RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 (16Go), DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G, RME... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 25 2012 11:34 AM In reply to

Also: rendering Blended Interpolated takes waaaay less time than Fluid does.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 26 2012 1:22 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,407
    • Points 97,250

- and you can halt the render at any time and play what's been completed.  Just type Ctrl-. and when prompted say you want to keep the partial render.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller