Latest post Sat, Jun 30 2012 5:05 AM by David Richardson. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 28 2012 11:51 AM

• tzidore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 1 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 75

P2 AMA editing

Hello!

I was wondering if any one in here had any experience editing with AMA P2 materiale. It's a feature long documentary with about 100 hours of material. 

Can I do this? Or should I transcode everything to DNxHD?

Right now the easiest thing is to just edit in the P2 material as it is, but what about later in the process, would avid get hiccupps and crash all the time, if I go with the AMA linking instead of DNxHD?

Looking forward to here from you!

• Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:03 PM In reply to

Re: P2 AMA editing

For short-form, and/or very simple projects, AMA is fine.  Otherwise, most would recommend Transcoding to DNx for best results.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:41 PM In reply to

I agree with Randall. Transcoding takes some time (not even much) at the start of the project, after that, everything is faster and most reliable.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 28 2012 2:11 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,163
    • Points 23,215

I shoot almost exclusivly on P2 and Job and Randall are spot on check footage and log on AMA then transcode EVERYTHING over night it will save you many issues especialy a long format in the long run ...

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 28 2012 2:57 PM In reply to

• tzidore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 1 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 75

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I'm going to transcode everything;-)

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 1:04 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,163
    • Points 23,215

good choice

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sat, Jun 30 2012 5:05 AM In reply to

The only choice to keep your sanity!

Multiple Mac systems, MAC Pro, MacBook Pro's, OS Sierra, AJA IO 4K, T-Tap. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller