Latest post Wed, Aug 8 2012 2:45 PM by mtahir. 46 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 1:02 PM

REALLY FED UP WITH AVID 6.0.1!!! It imports only 2 AVI clips at a time.

I am really fed up with all the troubles that I get every day from AVID 6 and I am seriously thinking to get a lawyer and create a comitate of disappointed and damaged customers.

I really encounter troubles every day and too often those problems slowed down my work and definitely changed my timetable with an obvious disappoint of my customers. Avid INC should know well that TV can't wait my times and networks are giving more and more work to Final Cut and Premiere users day by day. I see those poeple steal my work only because of my choice to still believe in Avid.

Fortunately AVID doesn't make aircrafts!

This is the last problem encountered:
    I normally work with HDV M2T files and I import all the clips with the fast import option. Sometimes not all the clips load and God only knows why all the other softwares can do it and only after importing into them and then exported through them, also Avid can finally decide to import them. But after longtime only with HDV, I had to work with DV AVI files and I got another surprise from those AVI files recorded by 2 different cameras: AVID 6 imports only 2 clips at a time. After importing those 2 clips I get an error message telling this:  The file format for "NAME OF THE CLIP" is not supported for import.
    To load more clips I must restart Avid and import two more clips and so on. 

HOW CAN A PROFESSIONAL USER WORK LIKE THIS?

HOW LONG DO WE STILL HAVE TO BE PAYER BETA USERS?

I WANT A WORKING SYSTEM AT LEAST AS THE 32 BIT VERSIONS WERE!

Avid 8.3, workstation HP Z400, Intel Xeon Quad-core 3,20Ghz, 12Gb Ram, Nvidia Quadro 2000. Authoring & Conversion: TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4, AVID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 1:15 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: REALLY FED UP WITH AVID 6.0.1!!! It imports only 2 AVI clips at a time.

You might want to read this thread

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/104027/642257.aspx#642257

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 1:24 PM In reply to

• MAC HOLLAND
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Holland Landing Ontario
    • Posts 740
    • Points 9,305

I have been watching the job boards for seveal years now. There is definlty a trend towards final cut, in indie, television and prodcution houses, and education.  While the battle is far from over, AVID is not doing as well as it could, financialy, and is showing ealry cracks in the armour, like Canada's RIM technolog that is now on the verge of crumbling.

Having said that, as I have said before in this forum, never be the first-mover on new software, if you are a thin margin opperator it will kill you!.New software is always buggy!

I am still using 4.08 becasue it does what I need it to do, for now.

I am seriously considering FC  becasue I miss far to many oportunities for lack of it.Most of my cleints have nver heard of AVID - only FC....thats a KPI

Tough choices!

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 4.08 Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI... [view my complete system specs]

MAC HOLLAND
    YORK REGION - ONTARIO

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 1:35 PM In reply to

Hello.

Actually that's what I was supposed to do to (using my old Avid MC 3.1.2) but unfortunately Avid staff disabled online my dongle and since then I can only use the 6.0 version.
    I even had to buy a new (Avid certified) PC because my Macbook was in the list of compatible computers but an error was showing up all the time and it wasn't really possible to work.

I am ready to understand their problems, but probably they are not interested in ours.

If the software is not ready, I wish at least Avid could still let the users use the older working versions.

Thanks to reply my post and bye.

Avid 8.3, workstation HP Z400, Intel Xeon Quad-core 3,20Ghz, 12Gb Ram, Nvidia Quadro 2000. Authoring & Conversion: TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4, AVID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 1:38 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,605
    • Points 65,735

Has anyone noticed that FC is not an option anymore?

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 1:55 PM In reply to

Unfortunatly I got a "PC" and not a Mac in December 2011, but It would be interesting if Apple would also incentive Avid users to get Final Cut Pro, to finally be able to work seriously again.

Apart from the endless bugs, there are still incredible obsolete features for a 2012 software, such as the time of clip import and did it ever happened to anyone to be asked to give chroma-key clips with an alpha channel and to be forced to say no becuse Avid doesn't export clips with Alpha channel?

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 2:03 PM In reply to

"... It would be interesting if Apple would also incentive Avid users to get Final Cut Pro, to finally be able to work seriously again ..."

FCP was EOL (End-Of-Life) last June.  For many professionals, FCP-X is not a suitable replacement.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:24 PM In reply to

Reading this thread, I had to keep double-checking the dates on the posts to make sure it wasn't from 2 or 3 yrs ago. 

Lorenzo Barichella:
    unfortunately Avid staff disabled online my dongle and since then I can only use the 6.0 version.

What does that even mean?  How can "Avid staff" disable your dongle online?  There are two methods for software licensing with Avid, 1) USB dongle 2) Software License Authentication  The SLA method requires that the computer be connected to the internet when you launch the software.  But in either case, why would any of the "Avid staff" disable your dongle and if they did, why haven't you worked to get that sorted out?  

Lorenzo Barichella:
    I even had to buy a new (Avid certified) PC because my Macbook was in the list of compatible computers but an error was showing up all the time and it wasn't really possible to work.

Could it be because you had updated the OS on the MacBook to the latest version and it was no longer compatible with the version of Avid software you had?  Did you ever try to sort out the problem or did you just say "it doesn't work" and give up?

Regarding your technical issues, have you considered there might be something about the AVI clips that is causing the problem?  What kind of camera did these come from?  Avid doesn't inherently handle AVI all that well, so I'd look at converting them to .mov and trying to import those.  Also, just curious - What network is accepting footage from a camera that shoots in DV-AVI format anyway?

MAC HOLLAND:
    There is definlty a trend towards final cut, in indie, television and prodcution houses, and education.

At one time you could say that easily.  Since the launch of FCPX, professional users and facilities have been looking towards Avid and/or Premiere.  

MAC HOLLAND:
    I am seriously considering FC  becasue I miss far to many oportunities for lack of it.Most of my cleints have nver heard of AVID - only FC

Again, not sure where you've been the last year, but ditching Avid for FCPX is not going to do you any favors.  Even if you master FCPX and get hired to do a job for a facility with FCP7 you will still be lost.  FCPX is a complete departure from the now dead FCP7.  

Lorenzo Barichella:
    I wish at least Avid could still let the users use the older working versions.

You can,  If you're licensed for v6 you should be able to install and use up to v6.  The only catch is whether your newer computer would be supported to use the older versions.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:37 PM In reply to

and suerely not even MC 6.0

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:38 PM In reply to

• Diamornte
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 19 2012
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

For the "NAME OF CLIP" error, did you check to see if there were any illegal characters in the name?  Try simplifying the name to something short with no weird characters?  

I also am very tired of Avid 6.0.1, it's been since February since we have seen an update from Avid. Every day I get a crash, no, more like every two hours. Yesterday I had Avid tell me that "this software license is no longer authorized" and it crashed, a reboot fixed this. I've had "future errors," "Hagrid" errors, std errors, and it even told me it had "PMS: not ready to start."

My workplace has had so many issues with Avid 6, we had to downgrade to 5.5.3 and leave the ingest stations on 6 unfortunately because many cameras we are shooting on can only be brought in on 6.

I am so tired of Avid, I am seriously looking at changing careers. (There is no way in hell I would go to Final Cut or Premiere.)

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:45 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:
    FCP was EOL (End-Of-Life) last June.
    You mean June '11, right? So not even last June, but previous June. FCP7 has been killed more than a year ago. Those looking for alternatives seem interested in either Avid MC 6 or Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, or both.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:59 PM In reply to

Some of you keep referring to "Avid 6.0.1". Are you aware that there is a 6.0.1.1 patch file that has a lot of fixes in it? Have any of you complaining about your Avid performance downloaded and installed this latest patch file?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:59 PM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 390
    • Points 4,260

Diamornte:
    it's been since February since we have seen an update from Avid.

An update patch (Ver 6.0.1.1) was released in April.

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 4:56 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    Reading this thread, I had to keep double-checking the dates on the posts to make sure it wasn't from 2 or 3 yrs ago. 

There weren't so many bugs and troubles in Avid older versions, so it is obvious that this thread is about today.

Kenton.VanNatten:
     There are two methods for software licensing with Avid, 1) USB dongle 2) Software License Authentication

This is what happened exactly: I have a dongle provided when I bought my Avid MC 3.0 and during the Sortware License Authentication it was connected to the Mac.
    When I realized I couldn't work with Avid 6.0 on my Mac because of the bugs, I loaded my last backup with Leopard instead of Lion, as it used to be, but a message warned me that the dongle was disabled. Now I sincerely don't remember the precise words in the warning message, as it happened last December. To note that all the other applications previously installed work just fine.

Kenton.VanNatten:
    Could it be because you had updated the OS on the MacBook to the latest version and it was no longer compatible with the version of Avid software you had?  Did you ever try to sort out the problem or did you just say "it doesn't work" and give up?

I followed all the instructions and I bought the right MAC Lion OSX version as indicadet. It happened in the late November 2011 as I bought the 6.0 as soon as it became available. You can read my older posts if you really think that people that use a software for working/living can just say "it doesn't work" and give up.    I needed a quick plan to be able to work and I had to buy a new 64bit workstation right away but still it is not enough to work without problems.

Kenton.VanNatten:
    Regarding your technical issues, have you considered there might be something about the AVI clips that is causing the problem?

There is no problem with the clips. Vegas like them and all the players too. A lite version of Final Cut on my Mac like them also. There is also no problem with the two different cameras who generated those clips, but the trouble is the same for both with Avid. Not even the name of the clips are a problem as I said Avid imports all the clips, but only two at a time. after two clips I must restart and so on...  So I must lose a full day for importing 2 clips at a time. I have about 8 hours footage...

Kenton.VanNatten:
     What kind of camera did these come from?

The clips come from two different Sony Cameras. One isn't mine but I work with those DV images every week in a studio with an older version of Avid without any problem. They were recorded on a Sony hard disk.

The other Camera is mine and it is a Sony HVR-Z7E and the clips were recorded on compact flash cards.

Kenton.VanNatten:
     Avid doesn't inherently handle AVI all that well, so I'd look at converting them to .mov and trying to import those.

I never had any problem until I could still use my 3.1.2 version.    In a software designed in 2011 do I really still have to convert clips with other applications and hope the Avid software won't refuse them? Didn't Avid had enough time to make a so used and old format at least compatible before selling the version? Remeber we are not talking about a BETA version but a PAYED version.

Kenton.VanNatten:
    Also, just curious - What network is accepting footage from a camera that shoots in DV-AVI format anyway?

I believe that's neither mine or your business, I just do what the networks asked me to do and they asked me for DV PAL footage.   As I wrote in my post, it is the first time that I encounter this problem because it is the first time that I must use DV clips since I upgraded to Avid 6.0.
    I sincerely don't want FinalCut, but I want a safe way to work with Avid because it the system I can use faster. How long shall I wait to have a full working software as I payd for a working software?

Really every day I find new problems. Another example that happened just yesterday: the title tool used to be so perfect and now that it is a stand alone application, it causes several problems. Some of them were solved reading posts of other poor users like me, some others are still happening. I think I already wasted too much of my time looking for threads with the possible solution of all the Avid 6.0 bugs.

Kenton.VanNatten:
    You can,  If you're licensed for v6 you should be able to install and use up to v6.  The only catch is whether your newer computer would be supported to use the older versions.

My new computer was designed to work with a 64bit system and it is certified by Avid (see my specs). My old Mac doesn't accept the 3.0 dongle anymore and anyway I am not supposed to use an old Macbook Pro after buying a $ 6500 workstation.

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 4:56 PM In reply to

Lorenzo Barichella:

Fortunately AVID doesn't make aircrafts!

Airbus' flagship A380 aircraft has suffered a series of highly-publicized engine fires since it debuted to great fanfare.   Design flaws and bugs are inevitable whenever technology advances.  The trick to to fix them when they are discovered, which Avid seems to be doing...although I agree the fixes should come quicker.   

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller