Latest post Thu, Jul 19 2012 1:36 PM by Sasquatch. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 18 2012 9:16 AM

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 606
    • Points 7,205

relinking AMA files

I have a project built from ama files, the ama volume was unable to be linked so individual files were linked.  The drive letter from the disk got changed some how and the media went offline.  I couldn't find a way of relinking the files in one step and had to relink the files individually, is that the best that could be done? 

Obviously the drive letter could have been restored and the files would have been relinked but as a work flow and with a bigger project that could have posed a much greater problem.

Thanks in advance

HP Z420 16gb FX 1500 MC 8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k extreme HP Z400 24gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Aja express HP Z400 16gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k... [view my complete system specs]

Mike Kruft. Nottingham, UK

• Wed, Jul 18 2012 11:48 AM In reply to

Re: relinking AMA files

AMA linking a volume is best as it does the whole bunch in one go.

But yes if the link gets broken the only answer is to re-mount each file so that does have to be considered.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 18 2012 12:13 PM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 606
    • Points 7,205

So as I expect and experienced then.

HP Z420 16gb FX 1500 MC 8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k extreme HP Z400 24gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Aja express HP Z400 16gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Jul 18 2012 11:59 PM In reply to

Sasquatch:
    The drive letter from the disk got changed

It is my understanding that Avid doesn't base AMA on drive letters, it relies on the file's UMID number (Unique Metadata ID - or something close to that)

The idea is that you can move the files from their originally linked location and Avid will still find them.  Sometimes when I have AMA clips offline, simply opening the AMA Bin will wake it up and relink everything.  Other times, I've done a Link to AMA Volume and it finds them all again.  

What type of files are these?  XDCam? P2? other?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 2:05 AM In reply to

• PegasusNZ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 10 2006
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 330
    • Points 3,935

If you change your AMA settings to use active bin

Then open a temp bin

the mount the AMA volume correctly (you may need to install the AMA plugin for that type of footage)

As the new temp footage populates the older linked clips will come online like magic

8 x Z800 24GB RAM MC 7 Black Magic Decklink Studio 240TB Linux Server [view my complete system specs]

^^ A good edit takes time but who has the time? When I look back I see my mistakes!

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 7:00 AM In reply to

Since V6 Avid has moved away from drive letters to track AMA sources but despiet that we still regularly see AMA clips and volumes going offline if moving between systems and soemtimes on the smae system. And currently it takes re-mountling those AMA files or volumes to restore the liks between clips. And there are regularly some clips that refuse to re-link and have to be manually re-cut in.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 19 2012 8:11 AM In reply to

• PegasusNZ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 10 2006
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 330
    • Points 3,935

it is not a matter of drive letters! in my case it is using the unc to the server. But for some reason the ama clips go offline! I simply open the ama volume again in a temp bin and MC does the rest

8 x Z800 24GB RAM MC 7 Black Magic Decklink Studio 240TB Linux Server [view my complete system specs]

^^ A good edit takes time but who has the time? When I look back I see my mistakes!

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 1:33 PM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 606
    • Points 7,205

The files are mxf from the Canon c300. MC 5.5.3

I was unable to mount all files I had as a volume.  I am not sure entirely what had happend prior to me getting the files, they had been copied to a disk already and the clips were not sequential.  The files were linked via AMA individually as all the other options had been explored.

Some files did mount as a volume but were not needed in that particular edit.

The files went off line over night, everything had been left on.  The dives (USB) may have been unplugged, the drive letter changed. 

I have had the AMA bins 'wake up' before but this time it was having none of it.  Maybe I could have tried harder but it wasn't my edit and I had to get on with another edit so as there wasn't many clips the editor linked each clip seperately.  My fear would be this might happen to a much bigger project and be very laborious to fix.

If it is not possible to mount a volume what can be done to make it mountable?  This is what would be good to know.  

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 1:34 PM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 606
    • Points 7,205

Pat are you saying in V5.5.3 the drive letter is used by ama?

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 1:36 PM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 606
    • Points 7,205

PegasusNZ:

it is not a matter of drive letters! in my case it is using the unc to the server. But for some reason the ama clips go offline! I simply open the ama volume again in a temp bin and MC does the rest

As I couldn't mount volume it is the same amount of work to link each file again.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller