Latest post Fri, Jul 20 2012 3:42 AM by hbrock. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 18 2012 6:23 PM

Random Kernal Panics in Lion with MC 5.5

Hello all,

I am having some bad kernal panics when using MC 5.5 in Lion 10.7.3. Most of the time they occur in the midst of capturing from tape, but sometimes the Avid may just be sitting on it's own or I had an instance where files were just be transferred to an ISIS partition outside of the Avid.

Currently I have done all of the following:

-Pulled all cards and only had the DX card in (Slot 4)

-Digitized to the local drive

-Done a clean install of the OS

-Upgraded and downgraded between versions 5.5.3.3 and 5.5.3.4

-Started new projects and bins in different locations

-Digitized at various different resolutions

I am at a complet loss right now. These are all brand new Mac Pros running Westmere 12 cores and 16GB Ram.

I read also about the kernal toggle but upon looking at the system reports, none of the 64-bit kernal is enabled on the computers.

We cannot upgrade to 6.0 because we are mingling older systems not supported by the version

Anybody have any advice. I am trying to get Avid support, but it has been a slow process.

• Wed, Jul 18 2012 11:55 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,449
    • Points 63,180
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Random Kernal Panics in Lion with MC 5.5

Kernel panics can be the result of a hardware fault.  If it's happening on multiple macines, run the Apple hardware test that came on your install DVDs (or off the boot disk if you haven't reformatted it) and see if the memory passes the extended test.  You could also try swapping the DX card between machines to see if the problem follows the card.

Do you have some machines that work and others that don't?  Are the faults happening on multiple machines with the same configuration or is it isolated?

Did they ever work or has this problem been evident from the first install?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 4:23 PM In reply to

I did run a hardware test on one machine overnight. I came in this morning and it did give me a error code:

4SNS/1/4000000: Ip6m - 0.898

From what I read it is "Sensor Curent" then "Current" and "Power Supply" related errors. I did run this test with everything disconnected but I kept the DX PCie card in the slot during the testing. Do I need to redo without the card in it?

There is no point swapping the cards, because it seems to be happening on multiple machiens.

So far I have tested about 4 machines extensively and they all are having similar kernal attacks as I described before.

They all have the same configuration, the results don't seem to be isolated to a single machine

They have all been problematic since I received these machines and first installed them

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 5:22 PM In reply to

I'd investigate the memory.... what brand, how is it installed, etc, etc.  In the past, most kernal panics for me have ended up being memory related.

MC 8.6.1, Mojo DX, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 5:49 PM In reply to

We had the stock memory in most of the machines either built with 6GB (2010 model) or 12GB (2012 model) depending on the model year. We then received 4GB memory kits from Crucial. I put one kit in each of the machines. I put them in slots 2 and 5. I did not remove any of the stock memory.

Should I not be mixing and matching the stock memory if I am expanding with different kits?

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 7:22 PM In reply to

It's hard to say for sure.... but it's easy to test.  I've certainly had memory over the years that didn't play nice together.  Also the RAM needs to be installed in a certain order and in matching pairs.  It's somewhat confusing.

Go here and scroll to the bottom to where they actually show you the pic of the memory cards and what slots to use and in what order.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4433

MC 8.6.1, Mojo DX, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 10:11 PM In reply to

I pulled the additional RAM sticks and reconfigured the slot configuration on the board to match what this article says. I uninstalled MC and removed all the cards and ran the diagnostic again.

It still continues to give me that hardware fault error, even with just the stock memory

• Fri, Jul 20 2012 12:24 AM In reply to

OK.... so what other common variables do these machines have?  Anything..... USB multipliers, etc.... anything else?

• Fri, Jul 20 2012 3:42 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,449
    • Points 63,180
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Do those machines have Software Activation or Dongles?  If not a dongle can you try starting up by holding down the 3 and 2 keys and testing again?  

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller