Latest post Thu, Aug 23 2012 1:07 AM by Vidiot Tech. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 8:28 PM

Importing .wmv files with no quality loss

Hello!

I'm working on a video for a client, and the project itself is really simple.  But they provided the original files as .wmv, which Avid tells me it will not support and can't import.

So I've been trying to convert the files using Handbrake, and I either end up with audio and no video (a white screen) or the video loses a massive amount of quality and is no longer fit for use.  It's like parts of the image freeze and other parts continue moving.  Another try with a different conversion program led to quality loss AND the audio falling out of sync.

I have been reading forums and trying settings for 24 hours now, and my brain is pudding.  Is there any way somebody could explain to me like I'm five years old and tell me what buttons I should press in order to get the video into Avid in at least the same quality that it arrived to me in?  I know I should be able to figure this out on my own, but I'm at my wits end here. And sadly the next cut of these are due tomorrow (8/22) so I'm running low on time to figure it out on my own.

I would be perfectly happy if you just said "set X to Y and A to B and hit convert." No need for drawn out stuff unless you think it's necessary!

The finished product is going to be uploaded to YouTube and viewed on smaller computer screens, so no need for HD quality, but it still needs to look professional.  

I'm running Media Composer 5.5.2 on a PC with Windows 7, v6.1.  Handbrake is v. 0.9.6 if that helps.

Media Composer 5.5.2 Windows 7 v. 6.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 8:59 PM In reply to

Re: Importing .wmv files with no quality loss

The bad news is that wmvs are highly compressed and most times are a delivery format, not something you'd use as a source.

What size are the wmvs you were given?  1920x1080? 480x270? or something else?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Aug 22 2012 9:33 PM In reply to

Yeah, it was one of those cases where I just inherited something that someone else had worked on before.

Theyr'e also incredibly small, 320x240.  So I'm expecting them to look a little worse than what I'm used to, but the only time I managed to get them at the same (low) quality, the audio/video sync was off.  And it definitely is synced up in the original file (my first thought was maybe the original was bad and I hadn't noticed).

• Wed, Aug 22 2012 9:53 PM In reply to

ninehourfilms:
    Theyr'e also incredibly small, 320x240

Ok, so if you were to get them imported into Avid - Avid is going to scale them up to a broadcast standard size (smallest being 720x486 in NTSC SD).  You can use the "Do Not Resize" option in the Import dialogue, but that will just give you a 720x486 image with your wmv video postage stamp size in the center.  

Being that they are wmv, you could try Windows Movie Maker.  It will happily accept wmv files.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Aug 22 2012 10:08 PM In reply to

I could deal with the resizing, but the files are still losing a quality somewhere along the line (there's a massive amount of artifacting) or getting out of sync.  The quality loss is probably happening in Handbrake, which is why I was wondering if there was a set list of what settings work best for getting the files out of it in a format Avid can use without quality loss.

Sadly, what I have to do to them won't really work in WMM, since I have to add titles, change the framing, and lower thirds and all that fun stuff.  

• Thu, Aug 23 2012 12:07 AM In reply to

I'm not familiar with Handbrake, but if I were using MPEG Streamclip I would try to make a QT.mov with Avid DV25 codec (601) and make sure I left the size an Unscaled.  

Another option may be to bring the wmvs into After Effects and do the work there.

No matter what you do though, I'm afraid that the results are not going to be great given the small size and compressed nature of the wmvs you are starting with.

• Thu, Aug 23 2012 1:07 AM In reply to

• Vidiot Tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 6 2006
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,815

Take a look at "AVS Video Converter 8". It converts almost anything to about any format you can think of. Costs a little money but has proven very helpful in many instances.

System Specs: Dell M90, 4GB Ram (3GB Avid Enabled), nVidia FX 1500 w/ driver 8.4.2.9, MC 2.8, QT 7.2, External WD 750 GB eSata Drive [view my complete system specs]

Steve Godsey, CLVS

Some producers are like slinkies: Completely useless, but you can't help but smile when you push one down the stairs.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller