Latest post Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:42 AM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 24 2012 3:44 PM

Video: DNx175 vs XDCAM HD50Mbits

Hello Community Gurus,

I have a project that I've directed that needs to be finished but I've run accross some questions/concerns.

[backstory] We shot on 16mm on the 416 and the footage looks great. I had Fototkem transfer the files to an External HD and send us everything back. At the time, I had someone else doing my editing, so she set up the whole thing in SD 23.976 NTSC. The video codec for that shoot in the project is DNxHD 175 and the setting were not in 1080/24p. I took over the editing becasue I wasn't satisfied where she was going and she already had way to much on her plate.

We shot some pick ups and when I went to capture the footage into the project I discovered the SD settings and the format. I changed the settings and imported the picked-up footage in XDCAM HD 50Mbits.

Now, I want the highest quality image becasue I didn't shoot on film to have a small frame or poor quality or anything of the sort.

So, my question is, I have both XDCAM HD and DNxHD 175 video formats in my timeline, will the video format difference be noticeable when I export and print? I know that I definatly want to go to Blu-Ray disk when I'm finished for festival submissions and possibly even to a 16 or 35mm print if my film does well and I have the opportunity to submitt to larger festivals. (I want options). I have the HDCAM tapes and can always re-import if needed. 

Thanks for your help!

• Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:29 PM In reply to

Re: Video: DNx175 vs XDCAM HD50Mbits

DNxHD is not SD, there is no NTSC SD version of it. It is a high quality compressed HD broadcast codec, and much, much better for postproduction purposes than XDCAM HD (which is Long GOP and way, way more compressed).

Now, for playback or export reasons, the project may have been switched to NTSC 23.976p, but I bet that if you flip the Project format back to HD, you will find your 1920x1080 images in fine HD condition.

Again, don't mix in XDCAM HD, stay DNxHD, choose 175 for everything.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 24 2012 6:38 PM In reply to

Thank you! 

But this means then that I need to re-import the footage that is in XDCAM to DNxHD since there is less of it. And since I'm ding that, should I go ahead an re-import the other footage and bump it up to 175 x? Like I mentioned, I'm looking for the hightest quality export in the end of everything and I would like to use as much of my film's resolution, color, etc as I can in this digital setting.

• Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:42 AM In reply to

Absolutely. Batch Import or Batch Capture the stuff you brought in at XDCAMHD, so that your entire project is at DNxHD175.

As for uprezzing to 175x: what was on the disk that PhotoKem supplied you with? It's rather likely that they already provided the footage in DNxHD175, so 'bumping' that to 175x would do you no good at all, since 175 versus 175x is just 8-bit versus 10-bit, and if your source was 8 bit, those extra two bits will just be completely empty, and do nothing but eat disk space.

You mention HDCAM tapes. If these are regular HDCAM, that's an 8-bit system as well, so no use for 175x.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller