Latest post Sat, Sep 8 2012 2:39 AM by Clement Canino. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 3 2012 8:05 PM

• sjpro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,170

SATA drive speed

I know this is not related to editing but I can not seem to find and answer yet from anywhere else.  A year and a half ago I upgraded to an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard and Window 7.  To make long story short, I recently discovered they my 3 internal Hitachi Deskstar SATA II (3Gbs) drives are running at 35Mbps.  One is the system drive and the other two are for media. I usually edit with external firewire 800 and eSATA drives with no problems.  Recently I tried to capture DV25 footage to the other 2 Hitachi Deskstar drives and the capture kept aborting most likely due to dropped frames.  I switched to one my of old LaCie firewire 400 drives and had no problems.  My question. Why are my SATA II drives performing so poorly?  The Asus board has SATA II ports.  I ran HD Tune on my older Pentium 4 system with P4C800 E Deluxe motherboard and the 5-6 year old IDE drives were averaging 45-50Mbps.  Am I doing something wrong?  I have the right drivers installed.  Should I have installed windows using AHCI?  I was planning on getting either an SSD or Hybrid system drive, but I fear they will run slow as well.  Sorry to post this, but the Asus forum has yielded not results.

Thanks. 

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 2:54 PM In reply to

• Alessio.S
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 6 2011
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

Re: SATA drive speed

Look if there is some jumper on the drives for convert them to sata 1 (like on the older seagate drives), if not try to reformat using the maximum size fo allocator unit, of course they must be formatted NTFS.

Alessio

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 5:13 PM In reply to

If I remember correctly you should have installed with AHCI enabled. Also go to device manager under disc controllers and make sure that you are using DMA not PIO mode for the controller. You may have to install the latest Intel controller drivers too. I get around 120 megs/ second with a single internal 7200 rpm sata drive.

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:35 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 258
    • Points 3,265
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

Even if they were running at SATA 1.5Gbps speed that's well over 100MB/sec.  Depending on the age of the drives you should be getting well over 35MB/sec (I'm assuming that's what you're really meaning when you say 35Mbps)

What is the configuration of the 2 media drives?  Are they hardware RAID-0 through your motherboard, or striped together in Windows, or are they just two separate disks and captures fail to both?  If they are RAIDed/striped, it suggests one of the individual drives isn't healthy and the performance of the pair will be degraded.  Or both could be dying :)

• Fri, Sep 7 2012 2:51 AM In reply to

• Chris Medico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 24 2006
    • Central NC
    • Posts 375
    • Points 4,685

How full are the drives? They tend to seriously slow down as they fill up.

Primary: Intel i7-3930k @ 4.2ghz, 16gig RAM, Nvidia GTS250, Windows-7 64bit, MC 6.0.3 System 2: Intel i7-920 @ 3.2ghz, 12 Gig Ram, nVidia GTX670... [view my complete system specs]

I've not opened Liquid since early 2011. I miss the old girl but life is change.

• Fri, Sep 7 2012 6:07 AM In reply to

• sjpro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,170

Thanks for the replies.  The drives are not set up in any raid mode.  They are about 25% full.  I never knew about AHCI until about a week ago.  I'm going to enable AHCI mode.  I know I will have to either do a fresh install or change a key in regedit.  Hopefully that will fix my problems.  Thanks.

• Fri, Sep 7 2012 6:13 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

sjpro:
    Should I have installed windows using AHCI?

IMO Certainly!

Here everything works fine with P6TSE MB

Is your Bios uptodate ? Check in the Asus Site

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Fri, Sep 7 2012 7:18 AM In reply to

• sjpro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,170

I endabled AHCI and installed the intel driver.  My System drive now reads at around 80-85MB/ps.  For some reason my "media" drives still average 35MBps.  In fact, HD files play alot smoother off of my desktop than my media drives.  This is strange as all three of my drives are the same make and model.  At least one of my problems is fixed.

• Fri, Sep 7 2012 7:40 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

A Couple of months back I replaced some Hard Drives on warranty(Seagate) form which I couldn't get any throughput.

You can try testing with a new drive to see how it goes.

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:43 AM In reply to

Just re-read your first post and saw you have Hitachi Deskstar drives. I had a huge issue with them and a CalDigit VR Raid unit a while back. If I ran the free AJA drive speed utility and looked at the detailed info you could see the drives start at over 100 Mbps, then slow to around 30 giving a final score around 35 Mbps. After a lot of e- mails to CalDigit and Hitachi I was told to do a firmware update on the drives. They improved to around 65 Mbps, but never got to the over 100 mark where my others were. Eventually CalDigit replaced them for me with Seagate drives, and the speeds were back to normal. The Hitachi tech said they were only having that problem with Windows based machines, not Macs. Try going to the Hitachi ( or IBM) site and see if you can find a firmware update for your drives. You need the exact model # from the drives, but you should find an update.

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 7 2012 9:10 PM In reply to

• sjpro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,170

Thanks.  I cannot find firware for these drives.  The only thing I can find is a drive alignment tool.  Do you know if this app lets you update the firmware?

• Sat, Sep 8 2012 2:39 AM In reply to

Somewhere on the Hitachi site it lists their drives by specific model numbers. You have to find the drive family, then the model number and look at the spec page for that drive. The latest firmware should be listed there. If you still can't find it contact their support people during normal business hrs. They should be able to help you, they came through for me anyway...It seems you can check the drives "fitness" with their alignment tool. I'd give that a try.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller