Latest post Tue, Oct 2 2012 1:12 PM by Moses.M. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 1 2012 10:35 PM

New to Avid Media Composer and MXF files

Hi I am new to Avid and have problems with my MXF files. 

My material was filmed on RED EPIC and then transferd to MXF files. I work on an an iMAC with OSX ver 10.8.2, 3.1 GHz INtel Core i5

My MXF files are on an WD harddrive. On that drive it is 3 files. First a folder named: Avid MediaFiles and if I open it has 2 folders one named 1 and the other 2. Folder 1 contains all the audio and folder 2 all the video.

I click on TOOLS then Media tool, select the hard drive and then click on all projects and ok. 

This leared was the right way. I also have tried to get files from link to AMA files and link to AMA voloume but nothing happens. 

What am I doin wrong? Why can avid not locate the files?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Tue, Oct 2 2012 1:38 AM In reply to

Re: New to Avid Media Composer and MXF files

mercuriosity:
    My MXF files are on an WD harddrive. On that drive it is 3 files. First a folder named: Avid MediaFiles and if I open it has 2 folders one named 1 and the other 2.

You seem to be missing the "MXF" folder.

The path for Avid media files should be Avid MediaFiles>MXF>1

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 6:29 AM In reply to

Thank you! I will try it. Should both the sound and the video be in the MXF folder?

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 6:42 AM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

both should be in the "1" folder...

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 2 2012 12:40 PM In reply to

mercuriosity:
    Should both the sound and the video be in the MXF folder?

Pay attention to the path I posted above.  

the .mxf files need to be inside a numeric folder (ie, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, n, ...... )  The numeric folders need to be in the MXF folder.  And the MXF folder needs to be in the Avid MediaFiles folder.

In your case, you'll have Avid MediaFiles>MXF>1 and Avid MediaFiles>MXF>2

Also note that the Avid MediaFiles folder must be at the root level of your drive.  

Moses.M:

both should be in the "1" folder...

There's no harm in separating them out into multiple numeric folders.  Avid will find them just fine.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 12:52 PM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

Kenton.VanNatten:
    There's no harm in separating them out into multiple numeric folders.  Avid will find them just fine.
    I wanted to point out, that video and audio files have to be in the numeric folders - not just one of them.

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 2 2012 1:00 PM In reply to

Moses.M:

Kenton.VanNatten:
    I wanted to point out, that video and audio files have to be in the numeric folders - not just one of them.

Perhaps, I'm still not understanding you.  

In my experience, you can have .mxf files in as many numeric folders as you like and there's no requirement to keep them all inside the "1" folder.  

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 1:12 PM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

:)

I just wanted to say:
    - having the MXF audio & video files in the numeric folders is fine - to keep it simple, i just mentioned the "1" folder
    - having just the video OR the audio files in the numeric folder won't work

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller