Latest post Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:14 PM by mjolnarn. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:26 AM

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 7 2011
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

Have Avid Project sequence - Best way to connect to original files?

I have an avid sequence that s 2 minutes long. The person that gave it to me had created it sometime ago, and deleted the digitized / ingested files, but kept the original AVCHD files, After FX files, etc, on a Western Digital raid.I am working on 6.0.3.1 MC on a Mac 17". The original camera files are on a Western Digital raid, and I have a Thunderbolt raid. I would like to somehow link up tho the media I need on the WD drive, and transcode it to the Pegasus Thunderbolt.

I tried to re-link, but nothing happens. I tried to reconnect some of the files via AMA, but playback is sluggish.

Does anyone have suggestions for recreating the sequence at DNxHD 185 or 120? I could easily cut the After FX in by hand, no problem with that.

Should I decompose the sequence, try to relink each clip, then transcode the files?

I've never done this one before, so any suggestions appreciated. Fortunately it is a short sequence, but I get the feeling this will come up again in the future with a longer sequence.

Cheers

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:32 AM In reply to

Re: Have Avid Project sequence - Best way to connect to original files?

If you can AMA-link to all or most of the camera originals, Transcode them rather than try to play them.  Then, they'll be in an Avid native DNx format and will play back normaly.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:57 AM In reply to

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

Thank you, that is what I was thinking. Would I decompose the sequence, then select each clip in the bin and AMA link the files? Or is there a more automated way to do this?

The sequence is from a large project, so I would rather think of a workaround than relink and transcode all of the material. As it is, I have somehow managed to relink about 15% of the files, but they are scattered around differnt bins. I guess I culd matchframe back and transcode each clip.

Is this the best way to go?

Thanks again Randall. 

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 9:15 AM In reply to

Put the sequence in a bin by itself, then go to the bin fast menu (hamburger menu) and choose Set Bin Display.  Turn on Show Reference Clips.  Now you should see all the clips that make up the sequence, and don't have to find them scattered in a bunch of bins for AMA linking and transcoding.

dugmoore:
    Is this the best way to go?

There may be a more elegant way of doing this.  I don't use decompose in my work, so I don't know if a) AMA-linked decomposed clips are possible, or b) if you CAN decompose AMA-linked clips, you'd then save time and drive space only transcoding the decomposed clip or if the system would treat them like imported clips and transcode the whole file anyway.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:41 PM In reply to

If the clips weren't AMA'ed originally, then it will be impossible to relink via AMA.

You might find it easier to simply link to all of the clips via AMA, hand cut them into your sequence, then transcode your sequence to a DNxHD resolution that will playback on your system.

You can also transcode before you cut in the footage...just depends on how long the transcode would take and if you need all that extra footage in a DNxHD resolution.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:11 PM In reply to

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

Thanks for all of your support. I managed to get about 1/3 relinked, and am hand cutting in the other 66% now.

I never thought I'd want a deck so that I could decompose a sequence and redigitize the footage. I am seeing that I need to sort out better archiving solutions for my own projects in the future. A seqeunce with lots of cuts would be nightmarish to do in a crunch, or impossible, depending on the time frame.

Does 6.5 provide any new work arounds for this?

Thanks again, much appreciated!

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:14 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/113676/658127.aspx#658127

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller