Latest post Sun, Jul 15 2018 11:41 AM by George Angeludis. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 23 2012 6:22 PM

Unlocking Alpha Track

Greetings,

I need to apply a reverse/timewarp FX to a graphic with an alpha channel.  I can't apply to the clip on the timeline so when I step-into the clip, I can apply the FX to the video track 1, but I can't on Video track 2 because it's locked.  Of course, the FX looks goofy because the alpha channel/mask doesn't follow the action of the rest of the key.

Is it possible to unlock the alpha channel and apply an FX to it?

Thanks for considering!

Tim

Avid MCA V6.0.3.1 on HP z800 w/Avid Nitris DX Windows 7 - 64bit 12 gig RAM QT v7.6 Graphics Card Nvidia Quadro FX3800 Processor: Dual Quads Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 23 2012 7:36 PM In reply to

Re: Unlocking Alpha Track

The Alpha channel is locked, but as a workaround, try copying the alpha channel into your source monitor, editing that on a new sequence, onto V2, doing the same with the picture part onto V1, apply the speed change to both, then a Matte Key effect to the V2. Then edit that back into your sequence.

I'm not at the Avid at the moment so can't try it, but let us know if it works.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 4:11 PM In reply to

Just tried it, this is how it worked:

Put the graphic with alpha channel on a timeline, step into it, and do a video mixdown of the picture layer which is on V2 and the locked alpha channel which is on V3.

Apply a motion effect (-100%) to both.

Then edit the picture onto your origonal timeline on V2 and the Black and White alpha layer onto V3. Put a Matte Key effect onto the V3, and Bob's your Uncle!

• Fri, Jul 13 2018 2:56 PM In reply to

• kk-creative
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 22 2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

There's a weird bug that allows you to do it but only under a very specific circumstance. When you lay an alpha channel clip into your timeline immediately double click on it using smart tool (lift/overright mode) to reveal the nested tracks. Only now will the top layer be unlocked and you can apply effects to it. If you "step in" to the clip BEFORE you double click it the track will be locked. It's a stupid Avid bug.

27 in. iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 12 GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 15 2018 11:41 AM In reply to

I did a small tutorial before 9 years...

Maybe this will also help you.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/72739.aspx

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.10 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller