Latest post Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:09 PM by lummie. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 23 2012 7:26 PM

• lummie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 1 2012
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

Advice on gaining experience

Hi everybody,

I posted on this forum a while back about trying to trying to find work in Toronto. Unfortunately I haven't had much luck. I was doing an unpaid internship for a post production house in downtown Toronto, but I was primarily just doing PA type jobs and not getting any experience whatsoever.

I know that many editors are freelance so I guess I am unsure how to make the transition from starting out to regular work? Every role I see advertised or I apply for requires that I gain more experience before I can be hired. I guess there are positions where they are looking for unpaid interns but not really sure where to look for them.

Woud anyone be able to advise what might help in gaining that valuable experience? Or does anyone know about any sort of mentor type program?

Thanks everyone!

• Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:13 PM In reply to

• lummie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

Re: Advice on gaining experience

Just revisiting this. Any advice anyone can give? Smile

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:51 AM In reply to

Hi,

lummie:
    I know that many editors are freelance so I guess I am unsure how to make the transition from starting out to regular work?

I'm freelance, but I was staff for about 10 years before going freelance, and that's where I got the experience to get hooked up with an agency that got me freelance gigs for a few years before finally going out on my own with no agency.

The biggest question for you is what kind of editing do you want to do?  The reason this is important is whatever you start doing now to get experience is what you're going to wind up doing.  For example, most of my staff work was in news and sports, so now most of my freelance work is in news and sports, because a) I don't have a demo reel I could show to a feature film director to prove I could cut features, and b) most of them wouldn't want to hire me because they've got a pool of freelance editors with proven feature experience.

This is all fine with me, because I like news & sports, and my strengths make me a great news & sports editor, but if I'd dreamed of editing features I'd probably be disappointed with the way my career has turned out.

So what do you want to do?  My advice would be to find a staff gig doing that to build experience before trying to go freelance.

Also, you may have to adjust your expectations of how long it's going to take you to get established (which is hard, I know).  You posted about training in April, then about getting experience in August, and now you're posting about experience again in October.  One of my buddies went from production assistant to freelance editor for major clients with good pay, and it took him five years.  I thought that was fast.

I don't mean to be negative, but nobody right out of school gets big-time freelance gigs.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:29 PM In reply to

• lummie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

Hey Carl,

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

camoscato:
    The biggest question for you is what kind of editing do you want to do?  The reason this is important is whatever you start doing now to get experience is what you're going to wind up doing.

This is all fine with me, because I like news & sports, and my strengths make me a great news & sports editor, but if I'd dreamed of editing features I'd probably be disappointed with the way my career has turned out.

I admit that I enjoyed working with documentaries but I would like to get into editing features. I know from when I took my course last year that I was told the same thing. Its one thing to get experience in say television or documentaries but that its important to build experience in the area you want your career to get into. So feature films would be my main goal.

camoscato:
    Also, you may have to adjust your expectations of how long it's going to take you to get established (which is hard, I know).  You posted about training in April, then about getting experience in August, and now you're posting about experience again in October.  One of my buddies went from production assistant to freelance editor for major clients with good pay, and it took him five years.  I thought that was fast.

I don't mean to be negative, but nobody right out of school gets big-time freelance gigs.

Actually I should give you a bit more background about myself. I took my first film course about 9 years ago with the hope of getting into editing. But this was back in Brisbane, Australia. Sadly the industry there was extremely small and not much in the way of opportunities. I have for a number of years tried different angles to get into editing but keep hitting a brick wall. The course you were referring to was simply learning Avid. I had done a course mid 2011 which was more my proper editing course and it used FCP 7. Hence why I decided to learn Avid this time around.

Don't get me wrong, I accept the time factor it takes to build yourself in this industry and that it takes experience and time. What is perhaps frustrating is that I can't even seem to get myself started in the industry. I haven't even had luck in getting experience and so I am sometimes going around circles trying to find any way in.

Its also hard to consult with anyone about how to even start out as everyone's story is different.

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:27 PM In reply to

lummie:
    I would like to get into editing features.

I know there are a few people on here who work in features, so hopefully some of them will chime in with their stories or suggestions.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 11:08 PM In reply to

• lummie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

camoscato:
    I know there are a few people on here who work in features, so hopefully some of them will chime in with their stories or suggestions.

That would be great. I think when I was in New York there was at least a few people I had for contacts but most of the advice they could give related more to opportunities in New York or the US. So its just difficult to gain advice on what I should do next.

Thanks!

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:09 PM In reply to

• lummie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

One last thing I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on, I was looking up in Toronto the current productions going on. Is it worth calling the production companies for features and asking about post production roles? Or will more of that work take place in say Los Angeles?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller