Latest post Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:45 PM by Pat Horridge. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 1 2012 1:20 PM

• Adkins Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 6 2006
    • Wilmore, Ky
    • Posts 88
    • Points 975

1080 Interlaced to Youtube

Hey everyone,

I'm having some problems trying to get a short real estate video up on Youtube. I started with 1080i footage from my Sony Camcorder. Edited in Avid MC. The footage looks great in Avid, nice and smooth as I Pan, zoom, truck, and dolly through the house. However, on Youtube the clips are "jumpy" or "jerky." I've linked to a couple below so you can see what I mean.

I can't say a whole lot on what my workflow is, I worked on this all day yesterday and tried so many different settings, with out writing them down, that I don't really know what did what. Essentially though I've been creating a Quicktime file, either self-contained or a QT Reference, and trying both to upload directly to Youtube, and running through Sorenson Squeeze.  A friend suggested that there may be a problem with incompatible frame rates, and that got me thinking about the Interlacing. I’ve now told Avid to De-interlace the export in about every setting I can find. I’ve also set it to square pixels. I’m attempting to export at full 1920x1080 resolution because I know Youtube can handle it.

Honestly I don’t think this is a Youtube problem as I’m seeing the same “jerky” movement playing the quicktime files on my desk top, that would indicated something with Avid’s exports. I did one export from Avid this morning using my “regular” Quicktime settings for DVD Creation and it looks smoothER but still a bit jerky. I do wonder though if that one is more a problem of having an older slower computer that struggles to keep up with the 1080 frame size.

I’m sorry this is kind of a rambling post, but that’s how scattered my brain feels right now. I really need help, so I’m reaching out to the Avid Community who have never let me down.

Thanks in advance,

Jonny

Best Color Example

Most recent Example. I do have documented settings for this.

Smoothest Example, I do have documented settings for this

Avid Media Composer 3.x Mac Book Pro 17 Inch Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.60 GHz 2.98GB RAM 250 GB Hard Drive, 7200RPM nVidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:06 PM In reply to

Re: 1080 Interlaced to Youtube

What frame rate was the content shot in? what frame rate is the timeline in.

And are the QT exports the same frame rate?

For Youtube you do need to de-interlace as it's a progresive result thats shown. But that wouldn't cause the jerking. It would more likely cause jaggy edges on moves.

This looks like a poor frame rate conversion somewhere. Did you clips show a green dot on the Avid time line?

Try making a short subclip from one of your original clips and exporting that and see how that plays on the desktop and youtube (it then should be the same frame rate as shot as long as the export settings aren't frocing a frame rate change)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:34 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    For Youtube you do need to de-interlace as it's a progresive result thats shown...

That is correct and Youtube makes it clear that they prefer progressive scan uploads. See the links in this thread for complete details on uploading to Youtube.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:02 PM In reply to

• Adkins Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Wilmore, Ky
    • Posts 88
    • Points 975

Thanks for the reply.

I created the project in 1080i/59.94. That should be the frame rate of the timeline. I can't find documentation that sys exactly what framerate the camera shoots in, but I do know that it's 1080i NTSC, it's a Sony HDR-FX1 which shoots HDV. When I created the Avid Project the only other option I saw for 1080i was 1080i/50 which I think is the PAL standard.

Now, if I understand correctly 59.94 indicates the number of FIELDS per second in the interlaced video, and the number of FRAMES is actually half that, so the frame rate then is 29.97 FPS. That is indeed the frame rate of the Quick time exports.

I haven't seen any green dots on the clips in the Avid time line. I did make a video mixdown before exporting from Avid as I had originally planned to work with QT refs and had to get around the error (can't remember the name just now) that comes when you make a QTR from HDV footage.

That much I know right now. I'll give your advice about making a subclip a try and see how that goes.

Thanks again,

Jonny

Avid Media Composer 3.x Mac Book Pro 17 Inch Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.60 GHz 2.98GB RAM 250 GB Hard Drive, 7200RPM nVidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:05 PM In reply to

• Adkins Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Wilmore, Ky
    • Posts 88
    • Points 975

Thanks also for 2 more replies! I have looked at the Youtube guidelines, and tried to follow them to the letter.

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:07 PM In reply to

If you play the QT files you export does the info in QT player confirm 29.97 as the frame rate?

Are you sure you computer can actually play a Full HD QT file at that frame rate in real time? Many can't.

When you did the video mixdown what resolution did you choose? It's possible your outputs are too high a datarate for smooth playback.

Also don't forget HDV isn't full raster it's not 1920 but 1440 ut that shouldn't be the issue.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

Filed under:
  • Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:29 PM In reply to

• Adkins Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Wilmore, Ky
    • Posts 88
    • Points 975

Pat Horridge:

Are you sure you computer can actually play a Full HD QT file at that frame rate in real time? Many can't.

That may well be the issue, but shouldn't they play smoothly on Youtube?

Yes Quicktime confirms 29.97 as the frame rate.

I'll check the mixdown resolution leter, right now I have a lunch appointment and the computer is exporting anothe suggested clip.

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 8:03 PM In reply to

• Adkins Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Wilmore, Ky
    • Posts 88
    • Points 975

The mixdown resolution was DNxHD 145 MXF.

I've uploaded the latest version, a self contained quicktime from my working timeline, before the mixdown. I have documented these settings and I'm encouraged because both on my computer and on Youtube it seems to be pretty smooth. However, there's some strange color shifing going on. Most notably this is present in the very first shot in the blue sky. Again I don't see this in Avid, but I do see it in both Quicktime and Youtube.

Once again, thanks all for the help.

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 8:16 PM In reply to

• Adkins Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Wilmore, Ky
    • Posts 88
    • Points 975

watching the above clip a little more on Youtube, I find the "jumpyness is resolution dependent. I don't really see it at 480P and below, and it's not even bad at 720P, but at 1080P it's a mess. I guess this indicates that at least some of the problem is in bandwidth.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good about these settings other than the color shifts. Anyone know what's up with that?

• Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:01 PM In reply to

• Adkins Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Wilmore, Ky
    • Posts 88
    • Points 975

Pat Horridge:

If you play the QT files you export does the info in QT player confirm 29.97 as the frame rate?

I now understand that PLAY is the key word in this sentence, The QT player's Movie Inspector shows the Movie's frame rate and a "playing frame rate" which when I've looked while paused shows 29.97. However, I just discovered that if I look at the Inspector while PLAYING the frame rate jumps around an average of 30 FPS.

I've also noticed that on my exports of the complete video, about 5.5 minutes, the Quicktime file's frame rate changes to 29.70. I can't explain this at all.

I did a test, where I changed the export frame rate to a flat 30 fps, and it played in QT at 30! I'm now exporting the whole project with those settings to see if I have better results.

If anyone has any more thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

• Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:45 PM In reply to

Fluctuating actual playback rates normally just point to the system struggling to maintain that throughput.

-

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller