Latest post Thu, Nov 1 2012 9:41 PM by AndrewAction. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:47 PM

• tyrthomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 19 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 120

Advice on new Mac Pro purchase

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade to a newer Mac Pro.  My main concern is that I would like to be able to do offline edits with Canon DSLR footage via AMA without it playing choppy in order to conserve drive space.  What I would like to know is what Mac Pro configuration would be suitable for my needs?

Thanks!

Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Nov 1 2012 8:26 PM In reply to

Re: Advice on new Mac Pro purchase

None.... Cannon DSLR will stutter on any configuartion.  I'm running the "newest" 12 core Mac Pro with 64 GB of RAM and Quadro 4000 video card.  5D footage stutters.  It will need to be transcoded prior to editing I'm afraid.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 8:43 PM In reply to

Honestly, there isn't much that will smoothly play Canon DSLR via AMA - that H.264 playback is a pain for any processor, especially once you add any effects.  The key then becomes which machine is fastest at transcoding it to something else.  As for suggested configuration, it's certainly best to focus on the qualified systems listed with MC 6.5 - those are officially supported, those configurations have been tested.

However, the Mac Pro hasn't had much of a refresh in a long, long time now, and many have found the newest iMacs to be more than suitable for their needs.  I wonder if that's something worth considering for your own needs.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 1 2012 9:41 PM In reply to

You could try the same system I am using for DPX files using Resolve (or the free Resolve Lite)
    Open all the files in Resolve (almost instant) Drop them onto a timeline and render them as DNxHD36 to "your media drive'\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1. Export an AAF of the Resolve timeline (with Avid round trip set). Open a new bin in Avid and the media tools set to look at  "your media drive'. Drag the clips into the bin. Import the AAF.
    (for me on an older Mac pro the DNxHD36 render is better than real time

Edit to a rough cut.

Export an AAF of the rough cut. Open in Resolve and link to original Canon Files. Grade if you want to.  Repeat the Avid Round trip and AAF export but choose Full DNxHD resolution and make a new 1 folder in  "your media drive'\Avid MediaFiles\MXF. 

(Motion effects and some graphics do not work in the Avid to Resolve AAF. You can of course add enough media for each of the motion effect clips to the end of your timeline)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller