Latest post Fri, Nov 30 2012 12:53 AM by Sameer. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:34 PM

• Sameer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 19 2012
    • London
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

Link to AMA H264 issue

Hi,

I have a project linked to AMA with Canon 5D H264 footage and the footage stutters and stalls on playback.  I don't think its a hardware issue as larger ProRes 422 footage linked to AMA plays back fine.  Can anyone help with how to solve this issue? I am using MC 6.5.

Thanks,

Sameer

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram 1067 MHz DDR3 OS X 10.8.1 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:07 PM In reply to

Re: Link to AMA H264 issue

It's not the datarate size thats the issue here it's the unpacking of the H.264 content.

H.264 is very CPU intensive to decode ready for playback. You need a really powwerful system to get good playback. In fact disk speed is less important as the file sizes and datarates are quite low.

That's why so many people transcode to do the actual edit. Either to frame based online quality media or to lower quality for an offline and then relink back at the end for the conform.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:09 PM In reply to

Hi Sameer,

Sameer:
    the footage stutters and stalls on playback

Do you see little blue, yellow, or red lines in the TC track?  They'd give a clue about why the footage is stuttering.

Blue = hard drives aren't fast enough, or the connection to them isn't fast enough; no frames dropped yet

Yellow = processor isn't fast enough; no frames dropped yet

Red = frames are being dropped

Also, h264 codec files are tough to play back via AMA.  This link has more info:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en365919

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:17 PM In reply to

• Sameer
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

Thank you Pat and Camoscato for your help.  I have a few questions:

What would you recommend to be the best transcode to use form H264 if I wanted to keep the quality the same but keep the transcoding as quick as possible?  

Would it be faster to import at a lower quality and conform?

How can I link to AMA and lay out the main part of it and then transcode it?  

Sameer

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram 1067 MHz DDR3 OS X 10.8.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:26 PM In reply to

At most of the places I work, they use whichever DNxHD codec fits their needs.  Without knowing more about your intended output, I'd say pick the highest DNxHD number that won't eat up all your drive space.

Sameer:
    Would it be faster to import at a lower quality and conform?

Probably not.  From everything I've seen AMA link & transcode is faster than importing.

Sameer:
    How can I link to AMA and lay out the main part of it and then transcode it?

You can either transcode all the footage prior to editing, or edit using AMA linked footage and then transcode the sequence.  When possible, I prefer the first choice so I get all my transcoding done before doing any editing.

Hope that helps.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:46 PM In reply to

• Sameer
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

Thanks,

I am laying out the edit at the moment on link to AMA.  What's the process to transcode it when it is ready?  Do I export it as a DnxHD file and re import it or is there an easier way?

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:06 PM In reply to

Sameer:
    What's the process to transcode it when it is ready?

Right-click on the sequence and select Consolidate/Transcode from the menu.  No need to export/import or any of that.

• Fri, Nov 30 2012 12:53 AM In reply to

• Sameer
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

Thanks, that worked well.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller