Latest post Mon, Dec 31 2012 10:36 PM by Job ter Burg. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 31 2012 10:28 PM

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Is a Nitris DX firmware update necessary when updating MC?

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I am updating Avid Media Composer and Symphony systems here to 6.5. Is a firmware update necessary on the Nitris DX box if I am updating from Media Composer / Symphony 5 to 6.5? My producer here came across some information that an Avid software update may fry the firmware in the Nitris DX box if the Nitris is not first updated. Is there any truth to this? Thanks!

• Mon, Dec 31 2012 10:36 PM In reply to

Re: Is a Nitris DX firmware update necessary when updating MC?

When you launch MC or Symphony it will check for Avid hardware and if found check the firmware versions.

If they are incorrect then it will ask you to allow it to update them (or down date if loading older versions of MC)

If you decline MC will quit so to run with out updating you'd have to disable the hardware by leaving it off.

So updating is required if you wnat MC or Symphony to work with it if it detects a firmware mismatch.

The firmware has to be correct to operate correctly with that version of MC or Symphony.

While it is true that there is a very small risk of firmware updates not working correctly and damaging the box (the term used is bricking it) it's a very rare occurance and updating is a normal procedure.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Dec 31 2012 10:36 PM In reply to

Re: Is a Nitris DX firmware update necessary when updating MC?

If necessary (from 5 to 6.5 will likely require one), the software takes care of this. So you install the new version, which ends in a restart. Then you launch the app. During launch, it will check the firmware version, and it will ask you to update the firmware if the new version requires that.

So just follow the instructions. Haven't ever fried my DX with firmware flashes.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller