Latest post Tue, Jan 22 2013 4:14 PM by smrpix. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:38 PM

• jim xeo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 21 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Editing 5D footage at a low res then relinking and exporting as HD

I know it is a long subject.

I am a student editing film and have a lack of space to edit and the systems cant handle h.264 so i am used to transcoding. My question is if their is a way to transcode as avid dnxHD 36 to edit on then relink the footage to a better codec or the origional h.264 for export. Also if anyone knows the name for this method of editing i would really appreciate learning its real name.

This is my first post so if its in the wrong thread or im not making sense i will try and explain

Many Thanks People

• Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:55 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,378
    • Points 17,010

Re: Editing 5D footage at a low res then relinking and exporting as HD

AMA your clips into avid.

Transcode clips to DNxHD36 (Assuming 24fps)

Edit with the transcoded clips.

After you edit, relink your sequence to the original AMA files (See help for a discussion of relink options)

Very common, folks do it every day.  It works well.

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 3:37 PM In reply to

• jim xeo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 21 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Yea i have herd but im having problems physically doing it :S do you have any ideas? I was following this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsFRB7gc-h0

Im using MC5 for Mac at university and with it being old systems its really hard to edit the H.264 (and i have heard Avid5 dosent like h.264). So i can transcode it to DnxHD36 or 256 to edit. However once i have a timeline i cant seem to get it to relink back to the raw footage and i have been on this for a month.  Its in order not to lose as little data as possible.

Thanks for your reply though

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 3:50 PM In reply to

MC 5 might be tougher, as AMA relinking has improved over the years.  v6.0 & v6.5 work very well.

As an aside, Canon 5D is 35 Mb/sec, so if you are forced to keep the DNxHD 36 footage (36 Mb/sec), you really aren't losing anything.  (If you try and color correct, you might want the extra head room, but otherwise, you won't notice a lot of difference.)

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 4:14 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,378
    • Points 17,010

Open the bins with the AMA footage you want to relink to.  Be sure they are online.

Highlight all the clips

Go to the bin with your cut sequence.

Right-click your finished sequence.

Use the parameters indicated in this relink dialogue.

It should work.  (5 may be slightly different than 6 as Kevin points out)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller