Latest post Thu, Jan 24 2013 3:41 PM by Marianna. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 24 2013 12:16 PM

Avid on an iMac

Hello,

I am originally an Avid editor, but had to move over to FCP on a iMac.  I would very much like to get back to Avid but on the iMac I already have.  I've looked at a few sites to see whether my mac can run Avid and the mac I have doesn't appear on the lists?!

It is a 27inch iMac and has:

3.1 ghz Intel Core i5

Memory 8gb

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M

OS X 10.8.2

I don't want to upgrade to Avid if it won't even run it!  My understanding is that I will only need the software, I don't need to digitse/playout etc.  I have an AJA TTAP to output my video to an external monitor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

• Thu, Jan 24 2013 3:35 PM In reply to

Re: Avid on an iMac

Check against the qualified/supported systems.  You seem to have done so, and if you say it's not on the lists, your system is technically not qualified.  This doesn't necessarily mean it won't work, but it does mean that Avid either has not tested that configuration, or has tested it, but decided not to qualify it.  Many people run unqualified setups and get along just fine, but there are no guarantees.

That said, why not install the trial and take it for a spin?  You get plenty of time to try things out and see how everything works, without paying a penny.  If it works to your satisfaction, then go ahead and make the purchase.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 24 2013 3:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,202
    • Points 218,050
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid on an iMac

Hi

You basically have what it takes to run MC.

For example, the iMac 21.5" display with 3.6 ATI GHz i5 Dual core with Radeon 5.03 HT HD 5670 is qualified and then the iMac 20" display 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo is approved - your right in the middle.

I have this iMac and I am running MC 6.5 just fine.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller