Latest post Mon, Jul 22 2013 7:07 PM by Marianna. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 2 2013 7:40 PM

Avid Media Composer Student Edition

Hi everyone, I ordered Medai Composer 6.5, and have just recieved it in the mail. I thought that I needed a dongle to run the program. All I recieved in the package was a card with a download code, on the package it does say "Student Edition - Includes 4 years of free upgrades.  I haven't activated it yet, and the support number is closed over the weekend. Would I need a dongle?  How many computer can I download this on to?  Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Andy

• Sat, Feb 2 2013 11:54 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: Avid Media Composer Student Edition

As shipped nowadays, Avid uses software activation.  You can activate it on line without contacting support.  At additional cost you can convert to dongle activation.

You can install Avid on as many computers as you like, you can only run it on one at a time.  What this means in practice is that you must deactivate Avid on the computer you're quitting then reactivate it on your new one.

And welcome to the forums.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 3 2013 12:34 AM In reply to

Thank you very much for the reply. So I can download it on my Macbook Pro now, then when I receive my new desktop pc in a couple days I can install it on that too. Will I still have to deactivate if I am still using the same internet internet connection?

• Sun, Feb 3 2013 12:57 AM In reply to

You can install it on whatever computers you want, but you can have it actually activated on one computer at a time.  When you want to switch computers, deactivate the license, then activate on the other.  I do this between my profile systems somewhat frequently.  It's pretty simple, as long as you have access to an Internet connection or phone.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 3 2013 1:37 AM In reply to

Is it easy to deactivate it and reactivate it?

• Sun, Feb 3 2013 1:22 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,322
    • Points 53,440

Yes, however the machine activating or deactivating must be connected to the internet during the process.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Feb 3 2013 1:26 PM In reply to

Very easy, as TVJohn said - either do it from within Media Composer, or the new "Avid License Control" program that gets installed with the software.  Deactivation takes seconds.  Activation takes a minute or so longer the first time you do it on each computer, as you have to type in the activation code, etc. - after that, it stays there at the ready, so it also takes seconds.  The most difficult part is remembering to deactivate before I switch!  That's why an optional "Close and Deactivate?" prompt when the software closes would be a nice feature to implement someday.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 4 2013 2:14 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

IIRC, Deactivate MC by clicking on the "special" menu drop down. It's the bottom choice.

MC, Sorenson Squeeze & Avid FX (a/k/a Boris Red) with 4 years of free upgrades for $295 is mighty sweet. Take a peak at the license agreement when you get a chance. It probably says something like you may not use your edu license to make money; however, you can upgrade it to a comercial license for a fee when/if the time comes.

Avid also sells edu Pro Tools for $295 if MC doesn't meet all you audio needs.

Enjoy,

Mark

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 4 2013 2:39 AM In reply to

Thanks for all the replies. I am in an Advanced Editing class and we are learning Avid. Before I was using Final Cut Pro 7 and I love Avid a lot more.  I can't wait to fully know the program. Between the new desktop I ordered and Avid, I will be unstoppable. .haha.

• Mon, Feb 4 2013 11:36 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

standingandy:
    Between the new desktop I ordered and Avid, I will be unstoppable. .haha.
    Presumably you mean "I will be UNSTOPPABLE!!!!  Mwha, ha, ha, ha!!!" (Lightning flash, crash of thunder)

(Glad we were able to help - even if you are going to use it to take over the world!)

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:10 AM In reply to

standingandy:
    So I can download it on my Macbook Pro now, then when I receive my new desktop pc in a couple days I can install it on that too.

You will, of course, need to separately download the PC installer from the download center. The license however, is platform agnostic, so you will deactivate the license on the Mac platform before attempting to activate the license on the PC platform, and vice versa with the Internet connection. You can have the application installed on as many computers as you desire, but active only on one at a time with a single license. Also, you must be running the same version of the software on multiple machines with a single license. Otherwise, you would need to contact Avid support for a new license code everytime you were to switch between different versions.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jul 22 2013 5:24 PM In reply to

• poppsound
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 22 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Hello everyone I have a quick question as well in regards to the student edition, which I have purchased as well. How do you update it with the 4 years of free updates? I haven't been able to find how to do so, and there doesn't seem to be any information regarding this offer

• Mon, Jul 22 2013 7:07 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,206
    • Points 218,100
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

poppsound

Thats easy - assuming it is Media Compsoer - you make sure you registered it as a MC academic license and then you pop on over to http://www.avid.com/US/support/upgrade-academic-free and get your upgrade each time there is a major release during the 4 year period.

Pro tools is handled differently....

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller