Latest post Thu, Feb 14 2013 10:25 PM by Job ter Burg. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 14 2013 7:51 PM

• Ivan Kowalenko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 10 2013
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Researching a workflow for mixed DNxHD and ProRes media

Hello all. We did a project a while back in Symphony 5.5 where we were given all our source media in ProRes 422 HQ. At the time, the best workflow we knew of was to AMA link to the ProRes files, and then transcode them to DNxHD (at the time we were having trouble with the reliability of AMA linking). The entire project was then cut using DNxHD, and the ProRes files ignored. Since then, we've upgraded our Symphony systems to 6.5 and have added some Media Composer 6.5 systems (though I don't expect they'll see too much use in the course of this project), and now there's the possibility we will be doing a follow-up to this project.

With the upgraded software comes a greater variety of options, and potential problems. We do not have all the original source material in ProRes any more, and I don't know if it will be feasible for us to get it back. We do, however, still have all the original DNxHD 175 (Possibly 175 X, I can't remember if we used that or not) we transcoded from that project. We don't know for sure about what format the new material will be in, but it's fair to assume that if it's DNxHD, then there are no problems. However, if it's ProRes 422 again (which seems likely) then we aren't too sure what direction to go in.

From my perspective, we have three options: repeat the old workflow and transcode all the ProRes to DNxHD, and work just in DNxHD. The alternatives are either to AMA link to the ProRes (which, in my testing, seems reliable enough for production work at this point) or consolidate/re-wrap the ProRes into MXF files for editing. Theoretically, Symphony and Media Composer shouldn't have any problems tossing all this around, but our major concern is color shifting. In the past, going between DNxHD and ProRes caused some shifting, though it doesn't seem to be as big an issue in 6.5 as it was in 5.5. However, we really don't want to take any chances and have any big, noticeable shifts between the different media.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with mixing DNxHD and ProRes, or has done any research on the topic that I might have missed.

Various Mac Pros, ranging from MacPro2,1 to the last of the big 'ole towers. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 14 2013 9:55 PM In reply to

• Editmvp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 3 2008
    • Billings, Montana
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,725

Re: Researching a workflow for mixed DNxHD and ProRes media

Hi Ivan,

I think most people would agree that transcoding to DNxHD will give the smoothest overall workflow.  However, with that said, I edit almost exclusively with P2 and EXHD files linked via AMA.  I have also used AMA for ProRes HQ files.  The Sony EXHD files linked via AMA are in my opinion equally as fast to work with as imported or transcoded DNxHD.  The P2 files respond just slightly slower in long format programs (30-60 min).  But when I've used AMA to link to ProRes files, everything seems to slowdown.  As far as mixing DNxHD and ProRes, I think you'll find it a more enjoyable editing experience if you transcode the ProRes to DNxHD.

Primary System: Media Composer 2018.12.3 w/Symphony Option | Phrase Find | Avid Artist DNxIO | Mac Pro Mid 2012 12-Core 3.46 | OS10.13.6/64GB/1TB-SSD/Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 14 2013 10:25 PM In reply to

Re: Researching a workflow for mixed DNxHD and ProRes media

Ivan Kowalenko:
    In the past, going between DNxHD and ProRes caused some shifting, though it doesn't seem to be as big an issue in 6.5 as it was in 5.5.
    There is no shifting, as QT is taken out of the mix. A ProRes re-wrap is transparent, and ProRes is even a native codec since 6.5, so there's no loss at all.

After that mixing should be easy as it normally is. Only downside: your same-as-source exports will take much longer, since it requires a transcode to either APR or DNx.

So if i were you, I'd transcode to DNx.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller