Latest post Wed, Oct 28 2015 10:50 AM by Edit Jack. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 22 2013 4:11 PM

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Question About BCC Flicker Fixer

I have focused on learning general editing and outputting methodology for MC6.0.3 but occasionally look at plethora of effects available in MC.  Yesterday watched a tutorial by fast talking Kevin P Mcauliffe at this link:

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/BCCAVX/Remove-Flicker.php

This flicker fixer "effect"he describes might be useful (fixes flickering camera images) but I don't seem to have it although Kevin indicated it was included among the BCC effects we got with MC6.  So my question is whether I need to do something to get an "updated" free series of BCC effects for my Avid MC?

Kevin uses Avid Symphony in his tutorials and says things may look different to someone just using MC6, as indeed they do for BCC filters.  In his tutorial there are a series of BCC filter types listed right away in effects window under Avid FX (examples are BCC 3D Objects and many others including BCC Image Restoration which is where flicker fixer resides).  In my case I just show Avid FX and other effects listed (no BCC filters shown) when I select the effects symbol in the window that has tabs for Bins, Settings, etc.  To access BCC I select Avid FX and drag Avid FX Filters onto timeline, open Effect Mode, Launch User Interface, and select Filters tab to display what I think are all the filters I have available including BCC and FEC (what is that by the way??).

I did "update" to MC6.0.3 but have left Avid FX at version 6.0.4.1010 so I wonder if I need to do more updating or downloading or installation of something to get more BCC filters including the Flicker Fixer?

At this point this is just to confirm I have all the tools I should have included when I installed MC6 some time ago.  When I feel the need to delve more into Avid FX (including the titler) I will buy Douglas's series on Avid FX.

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 22 2013 4:24 PM In reply to

Re: Question About BCC Flicker Fixer

BCC was available as a "production bundle" for Media Composer and Symphony prior to V6 release.

Since V6 if you have Symphony then you get BCC if you have Media Composer you have to purchase it direct. There have been deals to be had but I think they are all past now.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Feb 22 2013 4:30 PM In reply to

The upgrade for current Avid Media Composer BCC Continuum users to BCC 8 is still available from Boris for $599.00.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Feb 22 2013 5:03 PM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Belfast, Ireland - now, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 319
    • Points 4,185

According to this Boris Matrix the Flicker Filter is included with Avid FX under the BCC Image Restoration filter set.

Gerry

MC 2018.12.2, Win 10 Pro(1809), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU(Driver 417.35),Samsung 850 Pro 512... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 22 2013 5:25 PM In reply to

gswilson:

According to this Boris Matrix the Flicker Filter is included with Avid FX under the BCC Image Restoration filter set.

Gerry

actually, looking closely at the matrix you refer to I see that it is not listed (no asterisk in that cell) for Boris Red 5 (which is the equivalent to the current Avid FX) which makes sense since Flicker Fixer is new in BCC v8 and Red 5 / Avid FX use BCC7 effects

—————— Dirk de Jong BorisFX

• Fri, Feb 22 2013 5:56 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Thanks to all for information.  I don't keep up with various upgrades, bundles, etc and as several have mentioned I now understand MC6 continued including Boris Red effects under Avid FX or at least my upgrade path kept it (seems like Boris Red was first included with MC5 and as I upgraded to MC6 from MC5 I "kept" Boris Red).  Again to repeat what others have said, I would need to buy BCC v8 to have Flicker Fixer (and other enhancements to Boris Red) through link Larry mentioned ($599).

I did also talk to Boris and person mentioned he thought BCC8 was easier to use than Boris Red and that the title tool included in BCC8 had some improvements (full vector??) vs title tool available in Avid FX in MC6 . He also mentioned Symphony included several production bundles like BCC8 not included in MC6 (so Kevin McAuliffe's tutorial was wrong when he said what he showed in Symphony was the same in MC6).

Given my level of proficiency and little need right now for additional tools I will stay with what I have for now.  Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 20 2015 3:45 PM In reply to

• Edit Jack
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 13 2015
    • Germany
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

Hi,

I got AVID FX 6.3 but I can't find BCC Flicker Fixer or BCC Image Restoration. Isn't it there?

Or did somebody have an idea how I could deflicker two clips without buying a full upgrade of BCC?

ONE: AVID Media Composer 8.8.1 // Mac Pro (End 2013) // 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 // 64 GB RAM / 2xAMD FirePro D500 3072 MB // RAID Promise Pegasus2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 20 2015 5:05 PM In reply to

Edit Jack:
    I could deflicker two clips without buying a full upgrade of BCC?
    Still not exactly cheap but Boris does offer smaller bundles for different categories. The Image Restoration Bundle would seem to have the effects appropriate for you.

• Wed, Oct 21 2015 8:22 AM In reply to

• Edit Jack
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

Thanks for this information Andrew!

ONE: AVID Media Composer 8.8.1 // Mac Pro (End 2013) // 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 // 64 GB RAM / 2xAMD FirePro D500 3072 MB // RAID Promise Pegasus2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 28 2015 10:50 AM In reply to

• Edit Jack
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

Hi,

I just bought Flicker Free from Digital Anarchy for 149 USD and it's working very good.

http://www.digitalanarchy.com/Flicker/main.html

Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller