Latest post Mon, Apr 15 2013 11:34 AM by James@Seamless. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 1 2013 5:43 PM

Arri Raw Alexa camera files transcoding in Avid and applying a lut

Hello,

I apologize if this questions been posted elsewhere - I just joined the forum.

I'm starting as an AE on an indie film and had been under the impression that our footage would be coming over as DNXHD with a lut applied, however, was told that I may be having to work with raw camera files for which I'd have to then apply a lut and transcode to DNx36.

I've never handled this process before, usually I've worked with a dailies house on all films I've worked on so I was wondering if anyone had any workflow documentation or advice on a post workflow for this.  The DI will be done at a DI house.

To complicate matters, I'd be doing this on a macbook pro with the following specs:

2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram, running mountain lion 10.8.3

Any advice, etc would be much, much appreciated.

Thank You!

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 6:13 PM In reply to

Re: Arri Raw Alexa camera files transcoding in Avid and applying a lut

Welcome to the forums

micericag1:
    2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram, running mountain lion 10.8.3
    Is it a 17? If so Resolve lite (free) will see the Arri Raw files. It is then a simple process to add the ArriRaw to Rec 709 LUT and render out Avid DNxHD 36 files directly into an Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 folder. You then also export an AAF from Resolve and open that in Avid.

If not the 17 inch I do not think Resolve works with the 13 or 15 but it could be worth checking that on the DaVinci Resolve site

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 6:48 PM In reply to

Thank you for your quick response!  It is a 15 so I will check that now on the Resolve site.  

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:02 PM In reply to

Hmm, I can't seem to find a specific answer regarding the 15 screen.  There seems to be some discussion about it will work on a retina but not a regular one, which mine is not a retina.

If I were to get to this working would it be possible to get more detail on the rest of the workflow process you described above.  This would actually be my first time working in resolve and transcoding raw alexa media.

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:14 PM In reply to

Performance will be slow on a standard Mac Book. You really need a desktop with a good nVidia card to get real time or better.

If you are coming from 3K files you will be lucky to hit 4fps transcoding.

But Resolve works very well at processing dailies for MC.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:19 PM In reply to

For the specs of your macbook pro, it sounds like it is a Retina Display, if so, Davinci Resolve 9 works fine with your mac.

Media Composer 7.0.4 6 Core thrash can w/64 MB RAM and MacBook Pro Retina 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB RAM OSX 10.9.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:31 PM In reply to

Thanks Pablo and James.

I don't actually have a retina display unfortunately - would that mean I can't run resolve lite properly?

James - I know the issues I'm up against with my system, however, the production may not spring for an additional transcoding system unfortunately.

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:33 PM In reply to

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB - I don't know if that makes a difference?  I know that it will still be slow going.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:52 AM In reply to

With nVidia cards Resolve will use the CUDA cores for processing. Each type of processing will slow the transcode. At the very least you will be adding a LUT and be resizing to HD. You probably want to add a burn-in for Clip and Timecode information. If you are processing 3K or above you will need to be de-bayering as well.

On my desktop I have a GT 120 512MB which does about 5fp with 2K files.

When I added a GTX 660Ti I got 40fps.

It sounds like your laptop may be somewhere in the middle.

Before you get started I would do some speed tests because it potentially could be impossible for you to keep up with the shoot if you have too much material. Insist on getting some camera test footage with a framing leader so you can test your pipeline.

And a final bit of advice is to do a test early on with your DI house to test how they are going to conform and make sure you have all the correct meta-data inside your MC project.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 12:24 PM In reply to

Thanks James!  I actually downlaoded some arriraw media from both the codex & gemini sites to test with today/tomorrow.  I am going to put that material onto an external firewire drive which should most closely mirror what the drives I'll be recieving media on are like and run the test from there applying the lut in Resolve lite first and then transcoding to DNx36 in avid media composer 6.5.  

I'll post the results up here

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 1:26 PM In reply to

The LUT and transcode to DNX36 is usually a one-step process that happens inside Resolve.

There is a preset for Avid MXF files in the DELIVER Tab.

There is also a preset for Arri Alexa LogC to rec709 in the LUT section of the Project Settings under 3D input LUT.

Check that you have the correct reel name in the media pool for each clip. My preference is to use the clip name as the reel so every clip is unique. See the Master Project settings on how to choose the reel name.

You can process the clips and then output to a folder. You should get back an MXF file for each original clip. You can then right click on the timeline you processed and choose export ALE.

Move the MXF files in to an AvidMediaFiles/MXF/(number) folder and let MC scan them. I like to rename the (number) folder after the scan (DAY 001 etc) to keep each day separate from the next.

Then import the ALE to a bin and relink to the new media, and you should be good to go.

My advice is to make a default Resolve project with all the settings for you project (frame rate, resize, crop, burn-in etc) and clone this project for each day of dailies as Resolve can get very slow if you have a lot of clips in the media pool.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:04 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,870

how do you get an ALE out of Resolve?  I'm starting a project with this workflow soon and I haven't found that option.

Thanks.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:12 PM In reply to

gumbaedit:

how do you get an ALE out of Resolve?  I'm starting a project with this workflow soon and I haven't found that option.

Thanks.

Not an ALE but an AAF (avid uses ALE to go to DS from MC) AAF is the more normal transfer method

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:33 PM In reply to

You can get an ALE. Just right click on the timeline top left of the CONFORM panel.

In my understanding an AAF will give you a sequence where as an ALE will give you master clips (ie for Dailies workflow).

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:14 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

(avid uses ALE to go to DS from MC) 

No, that's AFE. ALE is the classic format for exchanging logged clips. Still useful and often used.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller