Latest post Mon, Apr 15 2013 11:34 AM by James@Seamless. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:55 PM In reply to

Re: Arri Raw Alexa camera files transcoding in Avid and applying a lut

James@Seamless:
    AAF will give you a sequence
    From Resolve you get the sequence and master clips in your bin.

You can also AAF back from Avid to the original files in Resolve for grading or just getting full res renders of the parts of the clips used.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:06 PM In reply to

Hi James,

On your system and I apologize if this is a vague question but roughly from start of ingest of arriraw files to output of mxf to begin actually editing with how long would you say your system takes for a certain amount of footage, maybe an hour?

Also, I know you have your specs noted but I was uncertain if your system may be a quadcore, 8core?  Also, what amount of RAM do you have in your system and are you doing this process using external drives with thunderbolt, or esata, or firewire or do you bring your footage to an internal drive.  I apologize, I'm trying to gauge how long this process would take on a desktop system properly outfitted as well as my not very well outfitted laptop.

Thank you for all of your help once again!

Michelle

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:07 PM In reply to

Oh also, I just re-read this and just clarifying, when I asked "maybe an hour?" I meant an hours worth of footage, not that I thought it would be an hour to transcode :).

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:50 PM In reply to

On a 12 month old Mac Book Pro 17 with a LUT I amtaking about one and a half hours for an hour of footage to DNxHD 36.  (to Thunderbolt or eSATA drives)

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:50 PM In reply to

Thanks James - now the UPM of this film who had insisted that I would be getting Arriraw files has just told me that I will be getting Prores 2k files.  I will still need to apply a lut but I'm wondering how much this changes workflow (I believe I would use AMA now but have been so deep in researching the arriraw process that I haven't looked into the prores workflow.

Do you have any insight on that workflow by chance and again how that might change system spec needs?  I have gotten the same UPM who had given me the misinformation to at least offer now to rent me a proper system to use.  I just have to figure out the specs (and of course the prores workflow).

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:52 PM In reply to

My machine is a 12-core with 8Gig but really all the processing happens on the graphics card. I copy the RAW footage from a shuttle drive to a SAS raid but I am also planning on doing the conform later. I render MXF just to a firewire drive.

I'm doing a LUT, a mask, a resize and a burn-in from 2K Pro-res 444 files.

I think Andrew's times are representative of a LUT with no burn-in or mask but obviously that depends on your footage.

I started out without the just the GT 120 card but I quickly found msyelf falling behind. 4 hours of rushes in the morning would take 12 hours to process. That's before you can even start syncing. I was basically a day and half behind the shoot and burning both ends of the candle.

If you can get your footage last thing at night and then process over night it could work but don't forget it can take a couple of hours just to copy a days worth of RAW data from drive to drive. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to move files around, it is better at reporting errors than the finder is. The new finder in Lion has a habbit of copying for an hour, having a read error and ditching all the files that it copied so far, taking you back to square one.

With the GTX 660ti I was able to get 4 hours processed in 2 and was syncing by the afternoon. Overall it was faster than the last time I had an external lab to process my RAW files.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:57 PM In reply to

The ArriRaw and Pro-Res is alomost the same. Only the Pro-Res is already de-bayered by the camera so you can go straight in to MC. I don't know if AMA allows you to apply a LUT before transcoding.

Some editors don't mind working with LogC files in MC and just applying an overall colour effect to the timeline or even on the monitor.

Are you responsible for archiving the footage or are you just handling a copy? This could be a big factor in your work load and as I said above the schedule of when you receive the camera files has a big impact.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:58 PM In reply to

The same workflow can be used with ProRes as ArriRaw with Resolve. You MAY finfa different LUT from the Arri Raw 3D one works better for you.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 11:11 PM In reply to

No, I don't believe AMA allows for the lut to be applied, would I then want to bring the prores mov 2k files first into resolve lite?  I will be just working with a copy of the media, there will be a version on set that is going to the DI house. 

Because I'm not very familiar with resolve or applying a lut (I usually deal with a dailies house or on smaller projects work with 5D footage which doesn't have a lut applied) I'm still trying to wrap my head around the workflow and wrap my head around it so that I make sure that I have the metadata I need also in the avid as the edl will be exported from the avid for the DI house.  This is kind of where I feel sort of clueless with the resolve portion of the workflow though I'm trying to learn it quickly :).  I appreciate all the information a lot though as I'm trying to now spec out a system on top it that works for this.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 11:51 PM In reply to

I used Resolve for the first time on my last film. It took about a week to get the workflow perfect, but after that it was very smooth and actually better than MC importing for several reasons.

1. With the right graphic card it is a faster way to get DNX36 files.

2. You can be transcoding and MC'ing on the same machine at the same time (albeit slowly).

3. I always like to have a burn-in that is hard-coded into the footage as an absolute fallback from that moment onwards.

4. Unlike MC, as the footage is transcoding you can see it going by at double speed, so this became my first chance to check every bit of footage for errors.

Looking back on my experience, I can tell you that once you have the workflow down you will be able to plug in your external copy drive, pull up a couple of presets and be transcoding within 5 minutes of receving the footage.

• Wed, Apr 3 2013 12:03 AM In reply to

Thank you again James!  Would it be asking an awful lot to ask you to outline your resolve workflow that took you a week to get down? :)  If it is I totally understand, and you've been so helpful already.  I am going to be starting with about 3-4 days worth of dailies so if any of the methods you use may help me avoid some of the pitfalls I would be very thankful.

• Wed, Apr 3 2013 8:31 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Pat Horridge:

(avid uses ALE to go to DS from MC) 

No, that's AFE. ALE is the classic format for exchanging logged clips. Still useful and often used.

Thanks for spotting and clarifying that.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Apr 3 2013 8:31 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Pat Horridge:

(avid uses ALE to go to DS from MC) 

No, that's AFE. ALE is the classic format for exchanging logged clips. Still useful and often used.

Thanks for spotting and clarifying that.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Apr 3 2013 9:04 AM In reply to

micericag1:
    Would it be asking an awful lot to ask you to outline your resolve workflow that took you a week to get down? :) 

Sure. Email me and I can try and help out with more specifics.

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:51 AM In reply to

Have you been able to export the ALE - when I try to export it, it seems to be either greyed out or if I can select it the ALE seems to not contain any information.  I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and there's not much online about a step by step for process for it.  It seems like it should be simple but it's just not working the correct way for me for some reason.

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller