Latest post Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:41 PM by Tom Pearson. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 1 2013 11:48 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Audio plays fine in Avid, but garbled/distorted on Quicktime Export & Audio Mixdown

Hi, 

I'm wondering if anyone might know what's causing this.  I've mixed audio in my Avid timeline and it sounds perfectly fine.  I export a quicktime or quicktime reference or aiff or wav file and the audio is extrememly garbeled/distorted sounding (the characters sound like they're talking underwater).  This also happens when an audio mixdown of the mix is played in the same timeline. So, the way Avid is mixing the mix in the timeline is distoriting the audio.  In truth, there is a bit of peaking on the meters (but because Avid has no hard limiter and I don't want to pay for a limiter plugin, I can't figure out how to make the mix sound sufficiently loud without a bit of peaking), but the mix sounds fine before being mixed.  Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:28 AM In reply to

Re: Audio plays fine in Avid, but garbled/distorted on Quicktime Export & Audio Mixdown

First guess: phasing between L and R channels. Would you be exportimg / miximg down to mono, while having edited with channels panned hard left/right?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 2:30 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Re: Audio plays fine in Avid, but garbled/distorted on Quicktime Export & Audio Mixdown

Job ter Burg:

First guess: phasing between L and R channels. Would you be exportimg / miximg down to mono, while having edited with channels panned hard left/right?

Thanks for the sugestion.  Unfortunately, that's not it, because I get the same result when I export a single mono track to a mono file.  It's just that for some reason the RTAS compression sounds good in Avid, but once it's exported from Avid it sounds terrible.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:49 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,161
    • Points 23,185

I just did a mix down last pm 12 tracks with a compressor on insert a and a de-sser on b  on all tracks and it exported the same as it played back your not summing the mixdown track also by chance  if not as mentioned before I would look at phase

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 4:24 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,161
    • Points 23,185

are you adding any gain on the compressor output?

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

WWLD

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 4:52 PM In reply to

Possibly dumb questions:

When you export the file using the audio mixdown, you're not including the other audio tracks, are you?

When you play back the sequence with the audio mixdown, you're not including the other audio tracks, are you?

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:01 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Tom Pearson:

are you adding any gain on the compressor output?

I'm not adding any gain after the compressor, only the gain within the RTAS compressor plugin.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:04 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

camoscato:

Possibly dumb questions:

When you export the file using the audio mixdown, you're not including the other audio tracks, are you?

When you play back the sequence with the audio mixdown, you're not including the other audio tracks, are you?

No, I've even tried exporting using the "enabled tracks" option on just the track I want to affect.  It always renders garbled.  It's funny....I've tried exporting the audio as a wav file without any filters and bringing it into Adobe Audition.  I can get it to sound a lot better, but when I compress it in audition, it doesn't sound as good as it does in Avid before the export.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:10 PM In reply to

Sorry, just to make sure, when I do an export, I make a duplicate of the sequence, mixdown the audio tracks on the duplicate, delete the other audio tracks, and export that, so there's no possibility of the export getting "confused" about what audio to include.

Is that roughly similar to what you're doing?

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:18 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

camoscato:

Sorry, just to make sure, when I do an export, I make a duplicate of the sequence, mixdown the audio tracks on the duplicate, delete the other audio tracks, and export that, so there's no possibility of the export getting "confused" about what audio to include.

Is that roughly similar to what you're doing?

Yes, I've tried that approach.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:21 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,161
    • Points 23,185

thats what I do also now on the plug in there is a gain knob are you adding gain there if so how much ??

and also is there any eq on the tracks

Tom Pearson

WWLD

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:29 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

Tom Pearson:

thats what I do also now on the plug in there is a gain knob are you adding gain there if so how much ??

and also is there any eq on the tracks

Hi, Tom.  I'm adding 32 db.  The audio was recording extremely quietly.  There is no EQ.  It sounds terrific in Avid - just terrible on any sort of export.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:32 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

These are the RTAS Compressor Seetings on the Mono Track.

0 knee

2.0:1 ratio

Attack 10.0 ms

Release 80.0 ms

Gain 32 dB

Thresh -24 dB

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:54 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 811
    • Points 10,750

I think there might be some disconnect between my Avid Software and my macbook pro's audio output (I don't understand the mechanics behind the connection between the two), but it was strange that I could play the RTAS plugin perfectly in Media Composer and only have the signal distorted on output.  So, it's a mystery.  My eventual solution was to export the audio tracks without using the RTAS plugins, import them into Adobe Audition and do the compression and limiting in there. I then bounced the mix out to an aiff that I married up with the quicktime export from Avid.  Not an ideal solution, but it was the only one I could come up with.

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:41 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,161
    • Points 23,185

32 db of gain is huge i would look at using the normalize on the clips first then limit them I think your overtaxing the compressor

Tom Pearson

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller