Latest post Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:25 PM by gspfilmworks. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:30 PM

• tcschenk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 20 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

setting disk label or modify source with XDCAM media

Hi everybody,

I have 2 questions about setting disk label to XDCAM media.

When you import XDCAM media you can set a disk label.So if I set unique disk label to all XDCAM in my project I won't have any linking problem between imported XDCAM's? I mean since they all have a C0001 clip on them the disk label can identify what disc they belong to.

When you consolidate XDCAM media with AMA you can set a disk label prior to consolidating. Is this sufficient to keep the media online and keep MC from linking it to media from other XDCAM on the same drive? Or do I need to modify source to edit the tape name? At this point I am not really understanding the difference between setting disk label and modifying source.

Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks!

• Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:25 PM In reply to

Re: setting disk label or modify source with XDCAM media

Hi,

Setting a source pertains to, and required for, a "capture" workflow, where you use an XDCAM deck just like the older tape-based decks. A disk label is for tapeless sources and used to identify drives. You can have both, but you'd better be prepared in terms of how to handle the source.

As you've asked, YES, setting a "Disk Label" allows the system to uniquely identify each XDCAM disc so that, in the case of connecting via firewire, you can up-rez your material via batch capture, and the system will ask for each disc as needed, and replace the correct "CXXX" file to the correct disc. This works becasue the files are being copied.

Setting a "Source" does the same thing, but ONLY for the tape-based workflow. So in the case of the deck being connected via firewire, the batch process WILL NOT ask for the corect file and replace the "C0001" file with "C0001" from each disc, creating a huge mess. If going through the capture process, the Avid is creating new material and thus looks for the "Source" in the unique Avid ID, and replaces with new material.

Why anyone would want to digitize digital material, I can't say. But having your clips with a "Disc Label" will help the process down the line, even if applied as a "modify" step.

HTH

--G

Edit 1: HP Z400 Nitris DX, 2 Xeon W3540 @ 2.93Ghz, NVidia FX3800, 6GB Ram, MC 5.5.3.2 [Mothballed Edit 2: HP xw8200 Adrenaline, Dual Xeon 2.6Ghz, 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller